Hilarious...Mark Titus on hating Smart

Reaction score
I'm surprised the rest of the country has yet to notice how easy it is to hate Marcus Smart. Ninety percent of the time I watch him play, I just sit with my mouth gaping, amazed by his versatility and feel for the game. But that other 10 percent is becoming difficult to endure. After a couple of embarrassing flops in Saturday's game against Kansas State, Wildcat fans started impressive "you're a flopper" chants that could be heard on TV every time Smart went to the free throw line. Whether these rattled Smart is debatable, but I have a hard time believing that the way he ferociously slapped the backboard after a dunk where he basically tried to put his nuts in the rim wasn't his way of giving double middle fingers to the K-State crowd. Whatever the case, Smart got called for a tech, which counted as his fourth personal foul and forced him to sit during a crucial part of the game. Oklahoma State had squandered its lead by the time Smart returned, Smart went 0-for-3 from the field and 0-for-2 from the free throw line down the stretch, and the Cowboys lost.

If you're scoring at home, the common denominator in both of Oklahoma State's losses is not just that Smart didn't have great games — it's that he also reeked of entitlement and seemed more consumed with sending a message than just playing the game. I don't know what compels him to do this, but it's becoming the most infuriating part of this college basketball season. The guy oozes talent and he could probably average a triple-double if he wanted, yet he resorts to behavior that you'd only see from annoying middle-aged guys wearing headbands at the Y. The Pokes have plenty of talent around Smart, but now that Michael Cobbins is out for the season with a torn Achilles and Stevie Clark got busted for weed, Smart's already outsize role has gotten bigger. In other words, this nonsense has to stop.

I would say that Travis Ford needs to grab him by the shirt and slap some sense into him, but Smart would probably just fall to the ground and hold his face before Ford even touched him.

I'm not really in awe of him to tell you the truth. He's a tough hard-nosed competitor and a great athlete, but I don't get the hype.

I was most impressed last night by his airball from the free throw line. I couldn't believe how embarrassed he got. He walked all the way to mid court and tried to act like he was laughing... The whole thing, from the airball itself to the spectacle he made, was awkward and embarrassing.

Dude: First, don't airball a free throw and that will take care of most of it. But, if you must, just stand there shake it off and take it like a man. The other antics definitely made it worse...

I only saw a quick glimpse of it, but it appeared there was a moment last night when an official had his arm or perhaps had just placed his hand on Smart as he spoke to him, and Smart rather demonstrably jerked his arm away from the official.

Again, I didn't see the entire sequence in context, so perhaps I've got it wrong, but that's how it looked. A very odd way to deal with an official, I thought. Even if you're frustrated in the moment, gotta keep those fellows on your side, I would think. And how Smart could be that frustrated with an official on a night when his team shot 51 free throws, I can't imagine.

I think Smart has gotten a little big in the britches. Last year you never saw him hardly glare at an official but recently he has pulled some dozies and copped an attitude that is not related to just hardnosed play. I will be the first to defend his skills as a player but this hot-dogging that has started this year will eventually cost the team and ultimately him.

IMO Travis Ford has allowed Smart to become bigger than the team. Im not talking about the flopping necessarily but the side show antics he pulls during the game like the back board slap, walking to half court after the missed FT, his little negative replies with the refs, and other things of that nature. I think Ford could help curb it if he wanted to but I think he's letting the inmates run the place. Sometimes I wonder if Ford is too worried about being "boys" with his players instead of being the coach. But Im all for them imploding if that happens.

Boy am I glad we called this guy ---> :krugs

IMO Travis Ford has allowed Smart to become bigger than the team. Im not talking about the flopping necessarily but the side show antics he pulls during the game like the back board slap, walking to half court after the missed FT, his little negative replies with the refs, and other things of that nature. I think Ford could help curb it if he wanted to but I think he's letting the inmates run the place. Sometimes I wonder if Ford is too worried about being "boys" with his players instead of being the coach. But Im all for them imploding if that happens.

Do you mean the coach who stood on the sideline, hands cupped to his mouth and booed an official's call last year? Is that the guy you expect to act like an adult?

Do you mean the coach who stood on the sideline, hands cupped to his mouth and booed an official's call last year? Is that the guy you expect to act like an adult?

Well... I guess that would be asking a lot from him. Touche

It still cracks me up how much Ford can eat at you guys.

P.S. Which season will be the first Kruger finishes ahead of Ford in the Big XII standings? :eddie187_jpg_xs:

P.S. Which season will be the first Kruger finishes ahead of Ford in the Big XII standings? :eddie187_jpg_xs:

Please don't tell me you weren't embarrassed when the camera caught Ford booing an official's call. I have seen a lot worse out of coaches before. But nothing so openly immature for the head coach of a college basketball team.

To answer your question, while the current season is not over yet, I think it will be next year. If not, the following year is a guarantee. Mark it down and play it back to me if I'm wrong. ;)

Well considering in the two years that Kruger has been at OU, they have the same amount of tournament appearances and tournament wins, seems like a wash to me.

I might be off on that, did OSU win a tourney game the last two years? Honest question.

Last edited:

Why would Ford curb the behavior, he only has three more months of Smart. They'll get into the tournament, win one or two games and Ford will cash a pay raise. Almost any coach aside from the elites would do that.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Please don't tell me you weren't embarrassed when the camera caught Ford booing an official's call. I have seen a lot worse out of coaches before. But nothing so openly immature for the head coach of a college basketball team.

To answer your question, while the current season is not over yet, I think it will be next year. If not, the following year is a guarantee. Mark it down and play it back to me if I'm wrong. ;)

Well, I don't get embarrassed by people I don't know. If I was related to Ford, I might. But, my sole interest in Ford is that he wins games (and I'm on the fence about him right now, but I think he is trending positive due to recruiting. And I think he is a decent to slightly above average gameday coach.

But, he could wear a shirt saying "Dipwad" on the front and stomp his feet all day long as long as he wins. Same for the players, if they win, great. If they flop (which Smart surely does), no problem. I just want my alma mater to win some sports games to create a nice diversion for me a day or two a week.

But, no I don't get embarrassed by OSU players, by Ford, by Gundy, by Scott Brooks, by Bob Melvin (manager of the Oakland A's, my favorite baseball team). Now, my family or colleagues or something like that, maybe so.

I can't imagine goofy behavior by Ford or anyone associated with OSU reflects poorly on me or my degree. But, to each his own!

Well, I don't get embarrassed by people I don't know. If I was related to Ford, I might. But, my sole interest in Ford is that he wins games (and I'm on the fence about him right now, but I think he is trending positive due to recruiting. And I think he is a decent to slightly above average gameday coach.

But, he could wear a shirt saying "Dipwad" on the front and stomp his feet all day long as long as he wins. Same for the players, if they win, great. If they flop (which Smart surely does), no problem. I just want my alma mater to win some sports games to create a nice diversion for me a day or two a week.

But, no I don't get embarrassed by OSU players, by Ford, by Gundy, by Scott Brooks, by Bob Melvin (manager of the Oakland A's, my favorite baseball team). Now, my family or colleagues or something like that, maybe so.

I can't imagine goofy behavior by Ford or anyone associated with OSU reflects poorly on me or my degree. But, to each his own!
lol this may be the most ignorant and idiotic statements you have ever made...but not surprising coming from a poke. All that matters are wins right? So if he is paying players its cool right? If he lets players rape girls its cool right? If he looks the other way at drugs its cool right? If he drives drunk and pisses on a school it's cool right?

lol this may be the most ignorant and idiotic statements you have ever made...but not surprising coming from a poke. All that matters are wins right? So if he is paying players its cool right? If he lets players rape girls its cool right? If he looks the other way at drugs its cool right? If he drives drunk and pisses on a school it's cool right?

Pretty slippery slope from booing a ref to committing serious crimes, but whatever. No, I don't want any felons on the team, because I would not to like have any felons (rapists, etc...) active in society.

But, if you are talking about Ford's behavior on the sideline embarrassing me, absolutely not. Or if Smart pretends to fall down, how does that reflect on me? Do you evaluate other human beings based on the actions of the teams they are a fan of?

Pretty slippery slope from booing a ref to committing serious crimes, but whatever. No, I don't want any felons on the team, because I would not to like have any felons (rapists, etc...) active in society.

But, if you are talking about Ford's behavior on the sideline embarrassing me, absolutely not. Or if Smart pretends to fall down, how does that reflect on me? Do you evaluate other human beings based on the actions of the teams they are a fan of?

just win baby!

just win baby!

You didn't answer my question. Do you judge other humans based on the actions of the sports team they happen to be a fan of?

Also, do you actually feel shame because Cale Gundy gets out and does his goofy stuff on the sideline? Or Schmidt (the strength coach, right?) gets in the faces of other players? Or if an OU player high steps into the end zone? Unless you know the gentleman, it boggles the mind to think it could. That effects you and your daily life, your self-esteem? It tarnishes your diploma? It makes it more difficult to get a job?

But, of course, to each their own.

You didn't answer my question. Do you judge other humans based on the actions of the sports team they happen to be a fan of?
Did I ever say I did? You are the one that said you don't care what a coach does as long as he wins.
But if you support certain actions in the name of wins, that can certainly reflect on your character.

Also, do you actually feel shame because Cale Gundy gets out and does his goofy stuff on the sideline? Or Schmidt (the strength coach, right?) gets in the faces of other players? Or if an OU player high steps into the end zone? Unless you know the gentleman, it boggles the mind to think it could. That effects you and your daily life, your self-esteem? It tarnishes your diploma? It makes it more difficult to get a job?

But, of course, to each their own.

again, not sure what this has to do with anything that I have said.

Back