Hilarious...Mark Titus on hating Smart

Smart reminds me of a better Tony Allen. Their Stats are very similar.

Smart may be better offensively, but he is not near the defensive presence as Tony Allen. Smart is a good defensive player but Tony Allen was off the charts.

Smart may be better offensively, but he is not near the defensive presence as Tony Allen. Smart is a good defensive player but Tony Allen was off the charts.

Still is for that matter. Tony is one of the best defenders in the NBA.

Tony Allen is one of my favorite former OSU guys. Marcus Dove and Melvin Sanders were both pretty savvy defenders as well.

I always thought Dove was overrated defensively. He was good, but he was so tall for a college wing, he had very few guys he could comfortably match up with in the college ranks.

He was just an odd player in general, given his size and the unique skills he had.

Also, props on the Melvin Sanders reference. He was fun to watch, I found out a few years ago that he played a handful of games for the Spurs one season. Never would have guessed it.

Not sure I agree with this.

I've considered Tony Allen the gold standard of OSU defensive players, but I think it's time to start putting Smart in his category.

Just like Allen, Smart can guard multiple positions on the floor. Both are excellent rebounders from the guard position.

Look at their "defensive" stats -- as someone said earlier, they are almost identical.

Tony Allen ('04) - 5.5 rebounds/game; 0.86 blocks per game; 2.1 steals per game.

Marcus Smart ('14) - 5.4 rebounds/game; 0.69 blocks per game; 2.6 steals per game.

And keep in mind, Smart is doing what he is doing as a true sophomore. Tony Allen put up those numbers as a 5th-year senior.

I've considered Tony Allen the gold standard of OSU defensive players, but I think it's time to start putting Smart in his category.

Just like Allen, Smart can guard multiple positions on the floor. Both are excellent rebounders from the guard position.

Look at their "defensive" stats -- as someone said earlier, they are almost identical.

Tony Allen ('04) - 5.5 rebounds/game; 0.86 blocks per game; 2.1 steals per game.

Marcus Smart ('14) - 5.4 rebounds/game; 0.69 blocks per game; 2.6 steals per game.

And keep in mind, Smart is doing what he is doing as a true sophomore. Tony Allen put up those numbers as a 5th-year senior.

Please. Smart is a big strong early maturing kid. That is what he has going for him. He is a good player that makes your team better. That is it.

If his stats don't fit the storyline, then it is his intangibles that make him great. If the stats do fit the storyline, then the stats are the definitive proof.

If Smart is the greatest, why does he have to be hyped so hard? There aren't that many weeks left in the season. Why don't you guys wait till Smart and the team actually accomplish something. Then, we will at least have the record and results.

After watching Smart and the Aggies get clocked at K St. and then get lucky to get out of WV with a win, it might turn out that the hype will fit the storyline better than the results.

What the what? A lot of craziness to respond to..

Please. Smart is a big strong early maturing kid. That is what he has going for him. He is a good player that makes your team better. That is it.

I'm not sure to what you are referring here.

Are you saying Smart isn't in the same defensive class as Tony Allen when he was in college?

He's "a good player that makes our team better"... ummm.... OK. Yes, that's correct I guess.

He's also a guy who will be a lottery pick in the next NBA draft. So he has that going for him.

If his stats don't fit the storyline, then it is his intangibles that make him great. If the stats do fit the storyline, then the stats are the definitive proof.

I'm not sure exactly what you're talking about here. What stats of his "don't fit the storyline" of him being a great player? Yeah... he doesn't shoot the ball well from behind the 3-point line.... and that's about it.

Season averages:

17.8 ppg
5.4 rebounds/game
2.6 steals/game
0.7 blocks/game
1.5 assist/TO ratio

Those stats "fit the storyline" of a great player, so I'm not sure what you're talking about.

If Smart is the greatest, why does he have to be hyped so hard?

Again, what in the world are you talking about?

Smart "gets hyped" because he's a great player who will be a lottery pick in the NBA draft. And more times than not, he gets the job done.

There aren't that many weeks left in the season. Why don't you guys wait till Smart and the team actually accomplish something. Then, we will at least have the record and results.

Again, I have no idea what you're talking about here. OSU has beaten plenty of good teams this year, and Smart has played well in all but a few games.

If the standard is that he has to play perfect every night, then I'm not quite sure that's fair.

Looking what Smart has done since Cobbins was injured shows you what kind of player he is.

He's averaged 10 rebounds per game since Cobbins went out. TEN. From the point guard position.

Yeah... all "hype", lol.

Those stats do not tell the whole story defensively, not even close. Tony was and is a lock down defender. You could put him on the oppositions best perimeter player and generally he holds them well below their average. If you put Allen on someone it was like a death sentence. Smart while no slouch is not even close when it comes to absolutely blanketing a guy. I bet if you go look at the oppositions "stats" for Smart and Allen, Allen would come out ahead hands down.

IMO, Allen is defiantly a better lockdown defender. Smart is good but Allen is in a class of his own. That said I think Smart is easily a better overall player.

Back