How stacked is the 2012 Olympic team going to be?

soonerbms

Reaction score
They can only take 12 players to London, so some very good players are going to be left out of the squad. This team could be more dominant than the 1992 Dream Team.

Locks barring injury:
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant (even though he will be 33)
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard

Players who will battle for the remaining four spots:
Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Chris Bosh
Amar'e Stoudamire

They can only take 12 players to London, so some very good players are going to be left out of the squad. This team could be more dominant than the 1992 Dream Team.

Locks barring injury:
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Chris Bosh
Amar'e Stoudamire

I would take Bosh over Howard and Blake right now. International rules and style of play favors big men who can shoot consistently. If you remember in Beijing, Bosh got a majority of the PT during the medal rounds over Howard.

"more dominant than the 1992 Dream Team"

Not a chance bro, not a chance.

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Charles Barkley
Patrick Ewing
Karl Malone
John Stockton
David Robinson
Clyde Drexler
Chris Mullin
Scottie Pippen
Christian Leattner

This team is leaps and bounds better than any list you can throw out there with today's players. Only two of these guys didn't make the NBA's top 50.

"more dominant than the 1992 Dream Team"

Not a chance bro, not a chance.

Michael Jordan
Magic Johnson
Larry Bird
Charles Barkley
Patrick Ewing
Karl Malone
John Stockton
David Robinson
Clyde Drexler
Chris Mullin
Scottie Pippen
Christian Leattner

This team is leaps and bounds better than any list you can throw out there with today's players. Only two of these guys didn't make the NBA's top 50.

It should be noted that Bird and Magic was out of their primes by 1992.

It should be noted that Bird and Magic was out of their primes by 1992.

I guess, but Bird still averaged 20.2 ppg his last year (91-92) and well, Magic was going through the HIV stuff in '92. I'd still take both those guys over any of the guys in the OP.

Locks barring injury:
Derrick Rose
Chris Paul
LeBron James
Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Blake Griffin
Dwight Howard

Deron Williams
Rajon Rondo
Russell Westbrook
Kevin Durant
Kevin Love
Chris Bosh
Amar'e Stoudamire

I think from a depth standpoint you could take these players over the 1992 squad... There is unbelievable talent on that list, and it is very deep too.

But there is no way they will come close to matching the 92 team's dominance, simply because their level of competition will be substantially better than when the 92 team was in the Olympics. You have to remember that back then the international teams were nowhere near as good as they are now simply because basketball wasn't as big globally.

Funny thing is, that 92 team is largely responsible for the rest of the globe catching up to the US, since that team is one of the main reasons basketball became so much more popular.

I sure would want Kevin Love. The guy shoots above 40% from three (he doesn't take a lot of 3s but he averages over 1 a game), gets more than 15 boards a game, scores over 20 a game and rarely if ever fouls out.

The only thing not to like about Love is he is not a flashy player.

I sure would want Kevin Love. The guy shoots above 40% from three (he doesn't take a lot of 3s but he averages over 1 a game), gets more than 15 boards a game, scores over 20 a game and rarely if ever fouls out.

Yeah, I think his game would translate very well to Olympic play. He would be a lock to make in 2004 or 2000, but the problem is that right now there are some fantastic players vying for his spot.

Its going to be very interesting to see who gets left off. That list is stacked.

I'll pick the 12...

C. Paul - PG
D. Rose - PG/SG
K. Bryant - SG/SF
D. Wade - SG/PG/SF
L. James - SF/SG/PG/PF
K. Durant - SF/PF
C. Anthony - SF/PF/SG
B. Griffin - PF/C/SF
A. Stoudemire - PF/C
C. Bosh - PF/C/SF
L. Aldridge - PF/C - I chose him because the team needs another forward/center type not another PG.
D. Howard - C

Magic Johnson - PG/SG/SF/PF
John Stockton - PG
Michael Jordan - SG/SF/PG
Clyde Drexler - SG/SF
Larry Bird - SF/PF
Scottie Pippen - SF/SG/PG/PF
Chris Mullin - SF/SG/PF
Charles Barkley - PF/SF
Karl Malone - PF
Christian Leattner - PF/C
Patrick Ewing - C
David Robinson - C

Magic vs Paul = Magic...most versatile player in league history
Stockton vs Rose = Stockton...most assists ever
Jordan vs Kobe = Jordan...be serious
Drexler vs Wade = Wade...closer than you think though
Bird vs LeBron = I guess Lebron, but Bird is on my team somehow
Pippen vs Durant = Pippen...Durant can score, but that's about it.
Mullin vs Anthony = Anthony....easy choice
Sir Charles vs Blake = Barkley...be a homer if you want, Barkley would take Blake to school.
Malone vs Amare = Malone...easily
Laettner vs Bosh = Bosh...Laettner, at the time, was the college selection. He never belonged on the team.
Ewing vs Aldridge = Ewing...too easy
Admiral vs Howard = Admiral...Howard is stronger but David was infinitely more polished

Another thing is that you're listing the best guys right now....back in '92 numerous guys didn't make the cut...

Player and stats from the year before (91-92)
Reggie Miller - 20.7 ppg
Mitch Richmond - 22.5 ppg
Dominique Wilkins - 28.1 ppg & 7 rpg
Hakeem Olajuwon - 21.6 ppg & 12.1 rpg
Glen Rice - 22.3 ppg & 5 rpg
Tim Hardaway - 23.4 ppg & 10 apg
Kevin Johnson - 19.7 ppg & 10.7 apg
Dennis Rodman - 9.8 ppg & 18.8 rpg
Kevin Willis - 18.3 ppg & 15.5 rpg

I could keep going...the NBA was better in 1992 and the '92 dream team is better than any collection of guys you'd list. There's no debate unless you're 18-22 years old and never seen those '92 guys. You lead any team with the name Jordan and I'd take that team over any team led by Kobe or Lebron.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think his game would translate very well to Olympic play. He would be a lock to make in 2004 or 2000, but the problem is that right now there are some fantastic players vying for his spot.

Its going to be very interesting to see who gets left off. That list is stacked.

Well they don't produce like he does. There are only three forwards with a higher 3 point percentage and no centers. He is the leading rebounder in the league. He is the 19th leading scorer in the league and substantially higher than that when you limit it to Centers and PFs.

I think the coach would be a fool not to take him. He is number 2 in the league in Assists, Points, Rebounds (only behind Lebron James, Blake is No. 3).

Not being racist in any way...but not one white player on the roster??

Hard to argue that, we should be beyond this type of discussion though

Blame rickjames' first post...How do you start your message board career with a racist implied post?...must be someone's newly, troll-like creation.

See bolded...
Magic vs Paul = Magic...most versatile player in league history
Stockton vs Rose = Stockton...most assists ever although a great player, JS would have a difficult time against Rose straight up
Jordan vs Kobe = Jordan...be serious this is closer than you want to admit...and I'm not a KB lover
Drexler vs Wade = Wade...closer than you think though
Bird vs LeBron = I guess Lebron, but Bird is on my team somehow
Pippen vs Durant = Pippen...Durant can score, but that's about it. SERIOUSLY
Mullin vs Anthony = Anthony....easy choice
Sir Charles vs Blake = Barkley...be a homer if you want, Barkley would take Blake to school. not being homer...SERIOUSLY...the only players giving BG grief right now are long and athletic
Malone vs Amare = Malone...easily depends on the style of game
Laettner vs Bosh = Bosh...Laettner, at the time, was the college selection. He never belonged on the team.
Ewing vs Aldridge = Ewing...too easy
Admiral vs Howard = Admiral...Howard is stronger but David was infinitely more polished again, depends on the style of game...Howard is one of the best defenders/shot blockers to ever come thru the league

It is REALLY tough to compare players. The style of play would really affect the choices.

Blame rickjames' first post...How do you start your message board career with a racist implied post?...must be someone's newly, troll-like creation.

I wasnt blaming you for the starting the racial comments, i used the quote because i wanted to make two points and didnt want to double post.

Wait....Kobe is close to Jordan....NOT in this world. Sorry if you think that, you've either not watched Jordan or you know nothing about basketball. Kobe patterned his game to be a likeness of MJ not the other way around. It would be like saying Stacy King is better than Wayman or Taylor was as good as his brother...it really isn't as close as you think...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0BQKX_lszY[/ame]

I'd take Pippen over Durant because Pippen passed, scored, rebounded and was one of the game's best defenders. Durant is a 6'10 Allen Iverson or as we called it growing up.....A black hole, not a good thing to be. Durant averages what 1-2 assists? Pippen could light the scoreboard up when he needed to. It depends on if you want a complete team player or just a scorer. I'd want the guy that is multi-faceted.[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE9ZoLHJDTU[/ame]

I know everyone loves Blake (and I do too) but Barkley was better. I'm sorry it's true. Blake is a rookie though so we'll wait to see what happens in 10+ years. The thing that might sway it to Blake's favor is the 3 inches he has over Barkley, even then I'd take Barkley. Let's not forget that big men were everywhere back then and Barkley still dominated at 6'6. There's not many bigs these days and Blake's game would struggle against the Hakeem's, Ewing's, Daughtery's, Robinson's, Rodman's, Nance's, Mutombo's, Shaq's or the Grandmama's of yesteryears. I'm sorry but it's easier for a 6'10 (i.e. Blake/LaMarcus) guy to dominate these days compared to back then. That's why you see these bigs getting high-priced, in most cases not warranted, contracts these days. There just isn't any dominant guys in today's game. Howard? Please that dude is 6'10-6'11 and would get schooled by those guys I listed....Barkley once grabbed 33 rebounds at 6'6...Again it's not a one on one contest, it's the best player or who you would rather go to (basketball) battle with. I did say "Barkley would take Blake to school"...I just meant Barkley's game was so much more versatile than Blake's and Barkley could teach Blake the in and outs of how to be an effective post...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvSI2DRvF0[/ame]

I agree that Stockton couldn't hold Rose, but we're not talking about one on one....we're talking who had the better game (for a PG)...Stockton is one of the, if not the, best PGs ever. Everyone raves about Rondo...Rondo is basically a poor man's Stockton except Rondo rebounds while Stockton had the luxury of being able to shoot. Stockton is significantly better than Nash was/is and Nash won MVPs. Stockton didn't need to score often...he had the 2nd best scorer in history on his team...Let me know when Rose drops 28 assists. After all isn't it the PGs main objective to distribute/facilitate the ball?[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqdxlZr4_0[/ame]

Malone vs Amare....style of game? Malone would score in a half-court set, full-court, D'Antonio styled offense...check the charts...only Abdul-Jabbar can claim to have scored more. Amare isn't on Karl's level in any offense. Amare came into the league as a high-riser, got injured and turned into a jump shooter/dunker....Malone had everything Amare has and so much more....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yozMkcXFs[/ame]

Howard is WAY stronger than the Admiral. If it's a weightlifting contest, I'd give the nod to Howard. Unfortunately it's not. Admiral could shot midrange jumpers, hooks...and played stellar defense....think DHoward will ever score 71 points? Howard is basically Kevin Willis (sorry if you don't know who that is)...[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRB4qIzDXy0[/ame]

There I posted videos for the youngsters in the crowd.

Last edited:
Wait....Kobe is close to Jordan....NOT in this world. Sorry if you think that, you've either not watched Jordan or you know nothing about basketball. Kobe patterned his game to be a likeness of MJ not the other way around. It would be like saying Stacy King is better than Wayman or Taylor was as good as his brother...it really isn't as close as you think...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0BQKX_lszY

I'd take Pippen over Durant because Pippen passed, scored, rebounded and was one of the game's best defenders. Durant is a 6'10 Allen Iverson or as we called it growing up.....A black hole, not a good thing to be. Durant averages what 1-2 assists? Pippen could light the scoreboard up when he needed to. It depends if you want a complete team player or just a scorer. I'd want the guy that is multi-faceted.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oE9ZoLHJDTU...It

I know everyone loves Blake (and I do too) but Barkley was better. I'm sorry it's true. Blake is a rookie though so we'll wait to see what happens in 10+ years. The thing that might sway it to Blake's favor is the 3 inches he has over Barkley, even then I'd take Barkley. Let's not forget that big men were everywhere back then and Barkley still dominated at 6'6. There's not many bigs these days and Blake's game would struggle against the Hakeem's, Ewing's, Daughtery's, Robinson's, Rodman's, Nance's, Mutombo's, Shaq's or the Grandmama's of yesteryears. I'm sorry but it's easier for a 6'10 (i.e. Blake/LaMarcus) guy to dominate these days compared to back then. That's why you see these bigs getting high-priced, in most cases not warranted, contracts these days. There just isn't any dominant guys in today's game. Howard? Please that dude is 6'10-6'11 and would get schooled by those guys I listed....Barkley once grabbed 33 rebounds at 6'6...Again it's not a one on one contest, it's the best player or who you would rather go to (basketball) battle with. I did say "Barkley would take Blake to school"...I just meant Barkley's game was so much more versatile than Blake's and Barkley could teach Blake the in and outs of how to be an effective post...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvvSI2DRvF0

I agree that Stockton couldn't hold Rose, but we're not talking about one on one....we're talking who had the better game (for a PG)...Stockton is one of the, if not the, best PGs ever. Everyone raves about Rondo...Rondo is basically a poor man's Stockton except Rondo rebounds while Stockton had the luxury of being able to shoot. Stockton is significantly better than Nash was/is and Nash won MVPs. Stockton didn't need to score often...he had the 2nd best scorer in history on his team...Let me know when Rose drops 28 assists. After all isn't it the PGs main objective to distribute/facilitate the ball?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbqdxlZr4_0

Malone vs Amare....style of game? Malone would score in a half-court set, full-court, D'Antonio styled offense...check the charts...only Abdul-Jabbar can claim to have scored more. Amare isn't on Karl's level in any offense. Amare came into the league as a high-riser, got injured and turned into a jump shooter/dunker....Malone had everything Amare has and so much more....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_yozMkcXFs

Howard is WAY stronger than the Admiral. If it's a weightlifting contest, I'd give the nod to Howard. Unfortunately it's not. Admiral could shot midrange jumpers, hooks...and played stellar defense....think DHoward will ever score 71 point? Howard is basically Kevin Willis (sorry if you don't know who that is)...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRB4qIzDXy0

There I posted videos for the youngsters in the crowd.

I watched all of them and you make very good points, but I just think its a case of not appreciating the new guys.

I know it's blasphemy to compare Kobe to MJ, but tell me what he was better at. You could give opinion on what you believe, but that doesn't make it so.

That's just one comparison.

The rest, again, are your opinion and I'm not saying you're completely wrong. I don't agree with your picks on those, but agree on the rest.

I just think you're over-thinking it. Those guys would match up just fine and dominate in some instances.

Back