How stacked is the 2012 Olympic team going to be?

I watched all of them and you make very good points, but I just think its a case of not appreciating the new guys.

I know it's blasphemy to compare Kobe to MJ, but tell me what he was better at. You could give opinion on what you believe, but that doesn't make it so.

That's just one comparison.

The rest, again, are your opinion and I'm not saying you're completely wrong. I don't agree with your picks on those, but agree on the rest.

I just think you're over-thinking it. Those guys would match up just fine and dominate in some instances.

Over-thinking? I guess. Some guys just can't be convinced of the truth. Wait until the/you young people start hearing "Player A (in 2025) is better than Griffin was"...you'll get the point then.

Klegg, what's your age, if you don't mind telling the truth?

Over-thinking? I guess. Some guys just can't be convinced of the truth. Wait until the/you young people start hearing "Player A (in 2025) is better than Griffin was"...you'll get the point then.

I'm not saying you're completely wrong. Just giving the new guys as much credit as you're giving the older guys.

I grew up watching ALL OF THEM, was a HUGE Lakers fan back in the Showtime days. Even watch the Ind St/Mich St finals game with Bird/Magic.

I'm not spouting about stuff I haven't seen.

Well then, I can definitely respect your opinion. I pegged you for a 21 year old OU student. I still stand by my opinions. I told you we wouldn't agree too often.

Showtime Lakers? Okay that explains comparing Jordan to Kobe.

Well then, I can definitely respect your opinion. I pegged you for a 21 year old OU student. I still stand by my opinions. I told we wouldn't agree too often.

Funny...I pegged you the same...:woot

Wait....Kobe is close to Jordan....NOT in this world.

Amare isn't on Karl's level in any offense.

I'm not trying to attack you because I think you bring a lot of good points (and props for posting some refreshing videos) but I think you are using a little bit of hyperbole when comparing the players.

Look, I agree that I would take MJ over Kobe (particularly comparing Jordan in '92 to Kobe right now), but I think the discrepancy is closer than you are suggesting. After all, let's not forget the intangibles that Kobe brought to the Olympic squad: LeBron, Carmelo, Wade, etc all said that Kobe's tenacity on defense, training, and approach to practice all changed the mindset of the younger players and the way they played the game back in the '08 Olympics. I think that should be factored in when comparing the players.

As for Malone, I would take him as well... But I would argue that Amare is "on Malone's level" in a number of aspects on offense. He's pretty dang good.

Blake's game would struggle against the Hakeem's, Ewing's, Daughtery's, Robinson's, Rodman's, Nance's, Mutombo's, Shaq's or the Grandmama's of yesteryears. I'm sorry but it's easier for a 6'10 (i.e. Blake/LaMarcus) guy to dominate these days compared to back then.

I completely agree that the bigs of today aren't on the level they were in the early 90's... But I still think Blake would give all of those guys fits. Sure he wouldn't flourish to the same extent, but I don't think he would struggle per se on the offensive end.

Let me know when Rose drops 28 assists. After all isn't it the PGs main objective to distribute/facilitate the ball?

It depends on the offense and the pieces around the point guard.

Also, I don't think that number of assists in a single game should be the standard for comparing other point guards. After all, Scott Skiles once had 30 assists in a game.

But comparing Rose and Stockton, no doubt Stockton has the better pedigree, but if we were to compare and contrast Rose right now and Stockton in '92, I wouldn't have a problem taking Rose. He has been fantastic lately.

I'd take Pippen over Durant because Pippen passed, scored, rebounded and was one of the game's best defenders.

Agreed. Chuck Daly has been on record saying Pippen was the 2nd best player on that Olympic roster behind MJ. He was superb in many aspects of the game.

Lots of good discussion. I would take the '92 team, but I think its very, very close... One thing is for sure: Right now is the most talent the league has seen since the early 90's.

I'll pick the 12...

C. Paul - PG
D. Rose - PG/SG
K. Bryant - SG/SF
D. Wade - SG/PG/SF
L. James - SF/SG/PG/PF
K. Durant - SF/PF
C. Anthony - SF/PF/SG
B. Griffin - PF/C/SF
A. Stoudemire - PF/C
C. Bosh - PF/C/SF
L. Aldridge - PF/C - I chose him because the team needs another forward/center type not another PG.
D. Howard - C

Magic Johnson - PG/SG/SF/PF
John Stockton - PG
Michael Jordan - SG/SF/PG
Clyde Drexler - SG/SF
Larry Bird - SF/PF
Scottie Pippen - SF/SG/PG/PF
Chris Mullin - SF/SG/PF
Charles Barkley - PF/SF
Karl Malone - PF
Christian Leattner - PF/C
Patrick Ewing - C
David Robinson - C

Magic vs Paul = Magic...most versatile player in league history
Stockton vs Rose = Stockton...most assists ever
Jordan vs Kobe = Jordan...be serious
Drexler vs Wade = Wade...closer than you think though
Bird vs LeBron = I guess Lebron, but Bird is on my team somehow
Pippen vs Durant = Pippen...Durant can score, but that's about it.
Mullin vs Anthony = Anthony....easy choice
Sir Charles vs Blake = Barkley...be a homer if you want, Barkley would take Blake to school.
Malone vs Amare = Malone...easily
Laettner vs Bosh = Bosh...Laettner, at the time, was the college selection. He never belonged on the team.
Ewing vs Aldridge = Ewing...too easy
Admiral vs Howard = Admiral...Howard is stronger but David was infinitely more polished

Another thing is that you're listing the best guys right now....back in '92 numerous guys didn't make the cut...

Player and stats from the year before (91-92)
Reggie Miller - 20.7 ppg
Mitch Richmond - 22.5 ppg
Dominique Wilkins - 28.1 ppg & 7 rpg
Hakeem Olajuwon - 21.6 ppg & 12.1 rpg
Glen Rice - 22.3 ppg & 5 rpg
Tim Hardaway - 23.4 ppg & 10 apg
Kevin Johnson - 19.7 ppg & 10.7 apg
Dennis Rodman - 9.8 ppg & 18.8 rpg
Kevin Willis - 18.3 ppg & 15.5 rpg

I could keep going...the NBA was better in 1992 and the '92 dream team is better than any collection of guys you'd list. There's no debate unless you're 18-22 years old and never seen those '92 guys. You lead any team with the name Jordan and I'd take that team over any team led by Kobe or Lebron.

I think the Durant/Pippen and Rose/Stockton comparisons are close, but Stockton shouldn't even have been on the team, Isaiah should have.

Solid points Stoops. It's almost impossible to compare really even if I used strong conjecture. I'm partial to the 90's because that was my youth and impressionable years. I haven't been the same type of NBA fan since Jordan vacated the league.

I sure would want Kevin Love. The guy shoots above 40% from three (he doesn't take a lot of 3s but he averages over 1 a game), gets more than 15 boards a game, scores over 20 a game and rarely if ever fouls out.

The only thing not to like about Love is he is not a flashy player.

This. Kevin Love would be great in international basketball. He can shoot jumpers all day, is a great passer, and the best rebounder in the game. My 12 man roster for the Olympic team would be:

PG: Chris Paul/Deron Williams
SG: Dwayne Wade/Kobe Bryant/Danny Granger
SF: Lebron James/Kevin Durant
PF: Carmello Anthony/Chris Bosh
C: Kevin Love/Amare Stoudemire/Dwight Howard

This. Kevin Love would be great in international basketball. He can shoot jumpers all day, is a great passer, and the best rebounder in the game. My 12 man roster for the Olympic team would be:

Pretty sure the U.S. could find a better player to replace Granger, even if that means moving a position around or two.

Solid points Stoops. It's almost impossible to compare really even if I used strong conjecture. I'm partial to the 90's because that was my youth and impressionable years. I haven't been the same type of NBA fan since Jordan vacated the league.

Definitely understand where you're coming from, I'll always be more attached to the 90's as well.

I will say this though, I'm glad we are finally at the point where we can at least make it an interesting discussion comparing and contrasting the two teams. The league is substantially better then it has been compared to the early 2000's.

Jesse are they playing by 1192 Rules where you could play tough physical defense, or 2011 rules where they want the offense to do whatever they want?

If it is 1992 rules then todays players would get so frustratedx in the first 6 minutes they would be whining to the refs and be completely out of their game. If it is 2011 rules then all of the 1992 guards prolly foul out by the end of the thrid quarter

Jesse are they playing by 1192 Rules where you could play tough physical defense, or 2011 rules where they want the offense to do whatever they want?

If it is 1992 rules then todays players would get so frustratedx in the first 6 minutes they would be whining to the refs and be completely out of their game. If it is 2011 rules then all of the 1992 guards prolly foul out by the end of the thrid quarter

I think Olympic rules/officiating is closer to the 1992-style. Just my opinion and one of the reasons today's players struggle in international play.

What the ****? No Derrick Rose or Blake Griffin, but Danny Granger makes it. Our country is fortunate that you don't have Jerry Colangelo's job.

How about a guy like Steph Curry...you know a guy that can fill the basket from deep?

The Dream Team was amazing. Even Bird at 40 something years old was still a great player. Not as good as he was in the 80s. But there's no player in the game with those fundamentals that he had. I think adjusting to this style of play would be a factor for the team for a while for a 1992 dream team. But basketball is still basketball.

The Dream Team was amazing. Even Bird at 40 something years old was still a great player. Not as good as he was in the 80s. But there's no player in the game with those fundamentals that he had. I think adjusting to this style of play would be a factor for the team for a while for a 1992 dream team. But basketball is still basketball.

That's kind of one of my points really...Sure the guys now look impressive physically but most of them have the mental capacity of a chihuahua. Basketball is basketball and, IMO, those 92 guys were more fundamental/better overall basketball players.

For those of yall saying Mike and Kobe are Close. You do realize that Mike won defensive player of the Year and MVP in the same year 1988. He shot over 50% is WHOLE CAREER, Kobe has never done that.Mike at 40 avg 22 pts a game,The Original will always be better than the Copy.

Back