If the Big 12 never changed...

Sawyer

Banned
Reaction score
There's a thread below (kansas bites) that mentioned how north teams benefitted by having a weak south in the year when schedules finally even out, while south teams were hurt in the past when the north was generally weaker.

I got curious, and I'm bored, so I wanted to see what things might have looked like if NU and CU never left and we played the old unbalanced basketball schedule.

Just for the hell of it, if we still had divisions...

I've included Nebraska and Colorado. I based their wins/losses on Texas Tech and OU (the two Big 12 teams most similar in the kenpom rankings). So CU gets credit here for OU's two wins over ksu and NU gets credit for Texas Tech's win over OU.

When removing games this year that wouldn't be played under the old format, I looked at last year's schedule. MU played OU in Columbia last year, so only the game in Norman counts below.

Revised Big 12 standings:

kansas: 14-2
Missouri: 13-3
Baylor: 13-3
Iowa State: 12-4
kansas state: 9-7
Texas: 9-7
OSU: 7-9
A&M: 6-10
CU: 5-11
OU: 4-12
NU: 3-13
Texas Tech: 1-15

Or pretty much what we currently have. There are only two differences.

Currently, Baylor and ISU are tied in the standings but ISU gets the tie-breaker for tournament seeding (based on each team's games vs. kansas, the 1 seed). But because BU and ISU split their head to head this year, and because their one game in 2011 was played in Ames, I only count their game this year in Waco, a Baylor win, giving Baylor the edge.

A&M jumping OU is the other difference. OU is hurt by losing a game vs. ksu, and because NU gets credit for TT's wins, and the OU vs. NU game this year would've been in Lincoln, there's another loss for OU. A&M didn't beat any North teams this year, so in the old format all they do is gain three games vs. equal or weaker teams.

Obviously this is not a perfect simulation. Match ups are huge in college basketball (see: ksu vs. MU vs. OU), and there's really no great way to guess how CU and NU would match up with the current Big 12. This probably isn't that far off, though.

Back