J'Covan Brown to Texas?

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
Seems as if he's finally eligible and plans to enroll in Texas.

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2009/4/3/821673/jcovan-brown-finally-eligible

It's been a long time in coming, but 2008 Longhorn commit, Port Arthur combo guard J'Covan Brown is finally eligible to play basketball at Texas and is expected to enroll in June. Apparently, he will still have a scholarship available, leaving the Longhorns one over the limit if Damion James leaves and two over if he stays. Who will leave the program and how will that conversation go between coach and player?

First off, the pretty much tells you James isn't coming back. Secondly, If Texas is to run off a Matt Hill or Harrison Smith, what type of message does that send. These guys got qualified like they were suppose to and stayed eligible and have to give up their scholarship to a kid that jumped schools and family didn't prioritize education in his life. It's funny because he and Nate Miles were Ranked ahead of WW as Sophomores in Texas. Also goes to show you how strong of a mom WW has. Brown comes from a two parent family unlike WW. It was rumor that Brown's father asked Sean Sutton for a job when he visited OSU. OU recruited him very early in Capel's tenure, but dropped off of him quick. It will be interesting to see how Barnes handles this. If he runs off players for this kid, he's no better than Scott Drew, a guy who he has had words about. I'm also interested to see if Barnes may aske a guy like Jai Lucas to pay his way. From a basketball standpoint imagine the class.

JCovan Brown: Top 50 2008
Avery Bradley: Top 5 2009
Shawn Williams: Top 50 2009
Jai Lucas: Top 50 2009
Jordan Hamilton: McDs AA and Jordan AA 2009

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZuSbuU1SFs[/ame]

Last edited:
PG:Bradley(to get Brown on the court at SG)/Balbay/Jai
SG:Brown/Ward/Smith
SF:Hamilton/Mason/Williams
PF:Johnson/Chapman/Hill
C:pittman/Wangmene(although shorter than Chapman)

Could be nasty.

i'll be damned. never thought that would happen.

congratulations to brown.

i'll be damned. never thought that would happen.

congratulations to brown.

still might not. He hasn't passed the clearinghouse approval and UT doesn't have a scholarship. I think he ultimately ends up signing with someone else. If James gets bad reviews he might come back.

With or without Brown, Texas is going to be ****ing good next year. They might even be good enough to make a run to the Final Four next March.

Why would J'Covan Brown go to Texas? They are already stacked on the perimeter and have great guards coming in next year and the year after. How can this be?

Why would J'Covan Brown go to Texas? They are already stacked on the perimeter and have great guards coming in next year and the year after. How can this be?

Did you used to go by chenohawk?

Good question. From all accounts, that's the route he wants to go. If you watched that Youtube clip, you saw where he had a strong family following. I think that may be part of the reason.

That was me in another life form.

Ah, so it is possible great players want to go play with other great players.

JCovan Brown is far from great. Especially one year removed from basketball with a screw in his foot. Wouldn't be a smart choice for him if he did, but what would you expect from a family that asked Sean Sutton for a job in exchange for a commitment.

J'Covan Brown is very good and will be in the mix where ever he goes.

He's got alot of Baggage. He got kicked out of multiple games in High school, rumor is his father is slimy, and basketball wise he's been known as an overdribbler and a guy that doesn't get teammates involved. Houston Hoops wanted no part of him and he played for the TMac All Stars. I think he eventually wore out his welcome with them. Add to that, he got suspended for a month from his basketball team. I'm very curious about this situation. If Barnes runs a kid off to get him, I'll lose alot of respect for Barnes. Now I know that will hurt Barnes' feelings and maybe someday he'll get over it.

I don't think it's a done deal with him to Texas and I don't know if I'll change my tune if by some chance, OU gets involved with him. He was high on OU and Capel recruited him hard for a short period of time. I believe he made an unoffical to OU too. Obviously something changed that, probably WW. Fact is he's a character risk. Anytime you see a scouting report site poise as a liability, that's telling.

He's got alot of Baggage. He got kicked out of multiple games in High school, rumor is his father is slimy, and basketball wise he's been known as an overdribbler and a guy that doesn't get teammates involved. Houston Hoops wanted no part of him and he played for the TMac All Stars. I think he eventually wore out his welcome with them. Add to that, he got suspended for a month from his basketball team. I'm very curious about this situation. If Barnes runs a kid off to get him, I'll lose alot of respect for Barnes. Now I know that will hurt Barnes' feelings and maybe someday he'll get over it.

I don't think it's a done deal with him to Texas and I don't know if I'll change my tune if by some chance, OU gets involved with him. He was high on OU and Capel recruited him hard for a short period of time. I believe he made an unoffical to OU too. Obviously something changed that, probably WW. Fact is he's a character risk. Anytime you see a scouting report site poise as a liability, that's telling.

Actually Barnes doesn't need to run anybody off. Two players may be leaving the team on their own. And this talk was going on before the Brown news.

Actually Barnes doesn't need to run anybody off. Two players may be leaving the team on their own. And this talk was going on before the Brown news.

Who? I live in Austin and have not heard anything about that (Other than James going pro)

Who? I live in Austin and have not heard anything about that (Other than James going pro)

I don't think they sent the memo to everybody that lives in Austin.

Like I said before though, it's talk. And the talk was going on before the Brown news. Never said it was written. If so, you and everyone else that lives in Austin will get the memo.

Cmon now. Don't insult the intelligence of this board.

Back