Jeff Capel and Paul Hewitt?

I'm pretty sure Hewitt is getting fired at the end of the season. He has underachieved with some good players after their 2004 FF run.

Are you insinuating Jeff can't get the ship straightened out after a deep tourney run last year and he will be fired in a few years?

The level of talent between what Capel got and what Hewitt got is night and day. Scrubs from Hewitt's teams have landed in the NBA.

Hewitt has had so much talent down there, it's unreal. Having guys like Crittendon (sp?) and Young bolting after they were freshmen doesn't help either.

He couldnt handle the attrition... Neither can OU.

He couldnt handle the attrition... Neither can OU.

This is more what I'm getting at. Getting really talented players but struggling to gain consistency because of a lack of continuity.

This is more what I'm getting at. Getting really talented players but struggling to gain consistency because of a lack of continuity.

Only been one year since OU went to the Elite 8, and this is the 6th year since GT's run to the championship game. Not sure how you can really compare the two.

Hewitt has had so much talent down there, it's unreal. Having guys like Crittendon (sp?) and Young bolting after they were freshmen doesn't help either.

Yep. Hewitt, Capel, and Barnes have all been stung by either early entry or defection. Hewitt also lost Bosh early as well.

I would rather have getting in the tournament every year, than two out of the four years in the tournament.

Jeff Capel and Quin Snyder is a better comparison

Capel won 30 games last year, and probably wins the conference had Griffin not gone down. Snyder's team got hot and went to the Elite 8 in 2002, but they struggled the entire season... They were a 12 seed going into the tournament. Lets see how Capel does next year before we bring him down to Snyder's level.

Geez the knee jerk crew is in full effect. Must be guys that wondered over from the Owen Field board on OU Necksider. Faarrr eem!!!

No, its not a knee jerk reaction on my part. I have been following the ouinsider board.co before it went to the ouhoops.com board. Just because i do not post very often, it just hurts alot seeing what is going on this year compared to years past. I cannot stand Coach Sampson for the things that he did, but I remember going to the tournament every year with alot less talent and thinking we have a chance to make an impact on the bracket. From whats going on now, where making the tournament two out of the last four years. Wondering if Blake Griffin plays good enough which he always did and the supporting cast doing their thing we would win the whole thing. I HATE talking about Coach Capel, but I will never forget the Sampson years and always making the tournament with teams that were not highly thought of....

Too early to compare him to Hewitt. But I don't think Hewitt did as bad a job recruiting as Capel has done which has led to this year.

I'm not a blind follower. I've been very disturbed by this season. But to write a guy off or compare him to Quinn snyder when he's one year removed from the elite 8 is ridiculous. Now if next year is like this then we'll talk.

Back