JP Olukemi

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
I'm never excited about Juco guys either, but from all reports he does look like a good player. Possibly grades were the only issue out of HS.

Seems like a bigger, more complete version of Juan Patillo.

Like Patillo who was offered by Kentucky out of JC, I think Olukemi was offered by Kentucky out of High School.

ehh.... maybe he'd be able to contribute if he commits. A shooting guard with 17ft range doesn't WOW me unless he's a heck of a defender.

I like the prospects of him as a hybrid 4. I DO NOT like the prospects of him as a wing. with all the 4 and 5 star prospects we are on at the wing position I would be very discouraged if he signed before them.

Here is a very brief video of him (I think) from youtube. Wonder if he is a lefty?

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXmPkzrN_e8[/ame]

Here's what ESPN says about him:

Source

This strong, athletic wing can do a lot of everything well. J.P. is a hungry scorer who can put the ball in the basket in a variety of ways: he loves to drive to the basket get in the lane and use his power, he can post up and score inside, and he even knocked down the open 3-pointer. He excels in the open floor as he handles the ball or fills the lane for the finish. He rebounds like a man on both ends of the floor.

One thing I didn't take into account was Olukemi was probably at the Mullens camp in Tulsa and probably impressed Capel enough to offer him.

But, but.....I thought we weren't going to have to recruit JUCO's again?

I have NO problems with JUCO's, and realize that they can be VERY helpful to schools, IF you have the right connections, and can evalute them. Not everybody does, and can.

Sounds like a good catch.

I have NO problems with JUCO's, and realize that they can be VERY helpful to schools, IF you have the right connections, and can evalute them. Not everybody does, and can.

Sounds like a good catch.

I wouldn't mind taking a Sonny Weems type, but in Juco ball that is once every few years.

:ez-laugh: No, we're not going to have to rely on Juco's to win games and determine the outcome of the season.
Coach Capel builds his teams on outstanding high school players.
Anyone who can't see that isn't paying attention.
Nobody ever said a filler juco guy to help a need wasn't going to happen.
Let's not turn this into a Sampson thread.

Found this tidbit about Olukemi in an article on Scout.com that was written in July, 2007. He was listed as a "Better than advertised" player following his performance at the Reebok Championships:

Jason (J.P.) Olukemi: Listed at 6-foot-6 but appeared taller than 6-foot-6 teammate Leonard Washington, this LaHabra, Ca. product is still learning the game, but wow, is he athletic. Very raw, after seeing him play I get the impression he would just be phenomenal with solid coaching. Despite having Brandon Jennings, Leonard Washington and Jeff Withey on the team, Olukemi played a key role in Belmont Shore’s championship run in Vegas. In the semi final, a game Belmnot could have easily lost, Olukemi drove into the paint and powered a basked to tie the game down the stretch. IN the championship game he had 6 rebounds in the second half and hit four critical free throws down the stretch to help put his team over the top.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=662990

Also found his stats as a senior in high school at Beuna Park were he averaged 18.8 ppg, 2.4 apg, 7.3 rpg and 1.1 blocks. Season game by game stats are in the second link:

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/up...asketball-winter-08-09/profile-jp-olukemi.htm

http://www.maxpreps.com/athletes/upQ88JBZk0SJIpth5HCKZw/basketball-winter-08-09/stats-jp-olukemi.htm

Wow, Ada good find. He sounds like an impressive athlete and player.

:ez-laugh: No, we're not going to have to rely on Juco's to win games and determine the outcome of the season.
Coach Capel builds his teams on outstanding high school players.
Anyone who can't see that isn't paying attention.
Nobody ever said a filler juco guy to help a need wasn't going to happen.
Let's not turn this into a Sampson thread.

This isn't about Sampson, so YOU don't turn it into that.

And there are plenty of folks that said OU wouldn't have to recruit JUCO's at all once Capel got established. I said that was trash back then, and I'll say it again now. Too much talent there, at times, to ignore it. Not to mention it is the perfect way to fill holes, or balance a roster if somebody leaves early, or unexpectedly.

Back