Juco newcomers impressive for ISU in opener

thebigabd

Reaction score
ISU beat Black Hills State 96-47....

Marquis Gilstrap scored 14 points and had 4 rebounds in 21 minutes. Laron Dendy had 16 points and 6 rebounds in 21 minutes as well.

They beat Black Hills State on the glass 43-26, and shot 11-16 from the 3pt line. Staiger, Gilstrap, Brackins, Vanderbeken, and Dendy form one of the best inside/out 3pt shooting teams in the league. Their guards and bigs can really shoot.

ISU is my sleeper school in the league to make the dance. The question I always have for abd is who is going to suck this year in our conference. Who didn't recruit studs at every position? You ought to be the Big 12 commish, abd!

ISU is my sleeper school in the league to make the dance. The question I always have for abd is who is going to suck this year in our conference. Who didn't recruit studs at every position? You ought to be the Big 12 commish, abd!

I think A&M and Nebraska will suck.

ISU is going to suprise a lot of people this year. They have talent and frankly I think they are one of the better coached teams in our league.

Tech shouldnt suck. If they do, Pat Knight will be fired ASAP. He has talent...

Well, we are making progress. You have named two schools that will suck. The next step is to give us another three or four teams that won't be very good. I am not sure you can do that! But remember, somebody has got to finish 10th, 9th, 8th etc...

Well, we are making progress. You have named two schools that will suck. The next step is to give us another three or four teams that won't be very good. I am not sure you can do that! But remember, somebody has got to finish 10th, 9th, 8th etc...

Great Teams: Texas, Kansas
Really Good Teams: OU, OSU, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State
Good Teams: Texas Tech, Baylor, Colorado
Suck Teams: A&M, Nebraska

The "good teams" such as Tech, Baylor, and Colorado are capable of beating good teams at home.... Their record may not reflect that of a good team in this league, but I don't think those teams will be easy games, especially at home.

The "really good" teams can win big games on the road and at home. They are locks for the NCAA Tournament, in my opinion....

The "great teams" are final four caliber teams, and they will battle it out for the Big 12 Championship...

The "suck teams" are ones that I dont expect anything out of... They will lose, and lose a lot. I dont like the talent situations on their teams, and will win a game here and there at home and if they win on the road it will be an upset.

isu = better than average talent, poorer than average coaching.

i also don't think any team that starts garrett at point is going to be real good. maybe if colstrap or christopherson can take that spot from him... i don't really like buckley either.

isu = better than average talent, poorer than average coaching.

They have been too young and not had enough talent to grade Mcdermott. This year will be the measuring stick for their coach.

How about this 3 Sotuh teams will be good and one North team like most years.

Great Teams: Texas, Kansas
Really Good Teams: OU, OSU, Missouri, Kansas State, Iowa State
Good Teams: Texas Tech, Baylor, Colorado
Suck Teams: A&M, Nebraska

The "good teams" such as Tech, Baylor, and Colorado are capable of beating good teams at home.... Their record may not reflect that of a good team in this league, but I don't think those teams will be easy games, especially at home.

The "really good" teams can win big games on the road and at home. They are locks for the NCAA Tournament, in my opinion....

The "great teams" are final four caliber teams, and they will battle it out for the Big 12 Championship...

The "suck teams" are ones that I dont expect anything out of... They will lose, and lose a lot. I dont like the talent situations on their teams, and will win a game here and there at home and if they win on the road it will be an upset.

Interesting that you have Colorado with the "good teams" and A&M with the "suck teams". Here's how much different the people at rivals think those two teams will be this year. http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1008644

Rivals.com PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Kansas State
6. Texas A&M
7. Baylor
8. Missouri
9. Texas Tech
10. Iowa State
11. Nebraska
12. Colorado

I personally think Colorado will finish ahead of Nebraska, so I agree with you more than the rivals experts do.

You gotta love abd nobody loves the underdog quite like he does. But i think that's a bit of wishful thinking to say Colorado will be a "good" team.

You gotta love abd nobody loves the underdog quite like he does. But i think that's a bit of wishful thinking to say Colorado will be a "good" team.
*Prepares for lecture on X amount of games they lost by only X amount of points. Along with bringing in the most underrated recruiting class since the days of the recruits Bill Self brought in when he was at Tulsa.*

ISU is going to suprise a lot of people this year. They have talent and frankly I think they are one of the better coached teams in our league.

McDermott hasn't done anything in his three years at ISU to suggest he's anywhere close to being one of the better coaches in the Big 12.

ISU is a tough place to play. I think a lot of OU fans take it for granted. Ames is probably the second toughest venue in the North. They get good crowds and play well at home.

I look for ISU to be the second best team in the North.

ISU is a tough place to play. I think a lot of OU fans take it for granted. Ames is probably the second toughest venue in the North. They get good crowds and play well at home.

I look for ISU to be the second best team in the North.

I don't think they'll be the second best team in the North but you are correct, it is very difficult to play up there. We have lost to ISU teams that were far inferior to us up there in the past simply because the crowd was nuts and they were shooting out of their minds.

Interesting that you have Colorado with the "good teams" and A&M with the "suck teams". Here's how much different the people at rivals think those two teams will be this year. http://collegebasketball.rivals.com/...sp?CID=1008644

Rivals.com PREDICTED ORDER OF FINISH
1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. Oklahoma
4. Oklahoma State
5. Kansas State
6. Texas A&M
7. Baylor
8. Missouri
9. Texas Tech
10. Iowa State
11. Nebraska
12. Colorado

That is their opinion. All pre-season mumbo jumbo is just opinions.

*Prepares for lecture on X amount of games they lost by only X amount of points. Along with bringing in the most underrated recruiting class since the days of the recruits Bill Self brought in when he was at Tulsa.*

You asked for it!

Marcus Relphorde (6'7'' 225)- Chose CU over Arkansas. Instant starter. Will be a very versatile player.

Alec Burks (6'6'' 190)- Chose CU over Kansas State. People are saying he is better than Roby. Those people are Bzdelik and local media watching. Player of the Year in Missouri. Bzdelik thinks he will play in the NBA.

Keegan Hornbuckle (6'7'' 205)- Chose CU over Arizona, Arizona State, and Oregon State. Great 3-point shooter and athlete at 6'7''. Fits their system perfectly.

Shane Harris-Tunks (6'11'' 235)- Chose CU over Gonzaga and Vanderbilt. Not quite ready, but he will have a nice career at CU. Great passer and rebounder, fits in well with their system.

Now, the last time I checked Arkansas, Kansas State, Arizona, Arizona State, Oregon State, Gonzaga, and Vanderbilt recruited good players. I think you have to be THRILLED with the class if you are Colorado, because you went 1-15 in the Big 12 last year and have the worst facilities in the conference.

Also, they lost 11 games by an average of 4 points last year. They were too young and not strong enough to finish people. They had a legit chance to beat Kansas and Oklahoma on the road last year. They lost to Kansas State and Texas in overtime at home last season. All of their players are bigger and better, and they added a fantastic class to Higgins, Dufault, Thorne, and Tomlinson.

With their coaching, players, and system in place they will not be an easy game. We will see how they do against Gonzaga in the opening round of the Maui, but I think they can win that game against a depleted Gonzaga team that lost Heytvelt, Daye, and Pargo from last years team.

Last edited:
Alec Burks (6'6'' 190)- Chose CU over Kansas State. People are saying he is better than Roby. Those people are Bzdelik and local media watching. Player of the Year in Missouri. Bzdelik thinks he will play in the NBA.

the kstate staff really liked burks. more than they liked a lot of higher rated recruits.

i agree w. you that they've got a lot more talent than in the last couple years, and a lot better talent than most big 12 fans realize.

at the same time, it isn't better talent than most other teams in the big 12 (maybe better than nu, possibly tech, anyone else?). and they're pretty young. i'd have a hard time predicting a very successful season for them.

Back