JUCO Players Update

dahldennsull

Reaction score
Wanted to combine the threads to comment on both Dominique Elliott and Keshaun Hamilton's seasons, as well as keeping up with Jarion Henry.

I have game by game broken out in an excel sheet tracking from NJCAA.org so only have as many stats as they update and several games are spotty. Dominique Elliott has the best data set with about 18 games. Keshaun has 8 games as his team statician is apparently non-existant and only gets stats when the other team keeps them.

Also adding Jarion Henry now that he has played in 4 games and included a picture to show that he is, in fact, a real player haha. also looks to have started filling out his body.

Dominique Elliott
FGM 3.4
FGA 5.9
3PM 0.1
3PA 0.6
FTM 1.8
FTA 3.3
OREB 2.8
DREB 5.4
REB 8.2
AST 1.5
STL 0.9
BLK 0.3
TO 1.8
PF 0.1
PTS 8.7

Seems like a pretty steady player as most nights he hits his averages of 9 points and 8 rebounds. Also like that he gets 3 OREB a game, shows some athleticism

Keshaun Hamilton
FGM 4.1
FGA 10.7
3PM 0.3
3PA 1.0
FTM 1.3
FTA 3.3
OREB 2.4
DREB 5.7
REB 8.3
AST 1.1
STL 0.3
BLK 0.9
TO 1.9
PF 1.9
PTS 10.9

He has improved through the season as he started pretty rough. If you throw out his first 2 stinker games he is averaging 13 & 10. Think it's just a matter of continuing to shake off the rust and work on conditioning. I like that about basketball though is we get him all summer and fall before season ever even starts. Hoping he can be a good addition.

Jarion Henry - again only 4 games
FGM 5.7
FGA 10.0
3PM 1.3
3PA 3.0
FTM 3.3
FTA 4.3
OREB 2.0
DREB 3.3
REB 5.3
AST 4.3
STL 1.7
BLK 0.3
TO 4.3
PF 0.0
PTS 15.8

With the small data set he definitely has some good numbers so far. He has taken over as a top scorer for TVCC so will be fun to see how he finishes. Obviously we have known what he can do on the court, but the real questions remain with how devoted to the classroom he becomes. Would be nice for him to finally use the scholarship we still have for him and he could be a great wing player for us. Whether or not that happens, we will see.
g258000000000000000c6345d6c11a07c0808721827688133757ba66a77.jpg

cool. thanks for the update. i wont hold my breath on any of these players tho. as the juco ranks have largely been destroyed due to prep schools. the jucos we've gotten lately have been disappointing

Thanks for the update. Great job!

Good to see those numbers improving for Hamilton. I've heard he has a "Zach Randolph type look" to his game.

By no mans saying he is Randolph, but he's a big, burly lefty with good low post moves and a developing mid-range game.

Thanks for the update. Great job!

Good to see those numbers improving for Hamilton. I've heard he has a "Zach Randolph type look" to his game.

By no mans saying he is Randolph, but he's a big, burly lefty with good low post moves and a developing mid-range game.

ZeBo!

I would say this about Hamilton and Elliot. These aren't a couple of kids that Kruger shopped around after they finished Jr. College and picked them up to fill out the roster. He signed them a year earlier than that. He must have seen potential or something he really like about them. I think that is a distinction with a difference.

Henry is a known commodity. A good ball player with the characteristics of a flake. If he has shaken the flake and barring a Randle surprise, I would guess that he would be the late signee.

I don't know what their mpg is for Hamilton and Elliot, but for juco big men...those are horrible numbers for ppg.

I don't know what their mpg is for Hamilton and Elliot, but for juco big men...those are horrible numbers for ppg.

I bet they end up more serviceable than Nick "pirouette" Thompson and Orlando Allen. :ez-laugh:

Those guys aren't being brought in to score like Ace. They aren't going to be scoring big men. They are going to score off rebounds and easy buckets that our guards create. Where LK can turn them into Big 12 starters is on the defensive end. From all accounts, they move well, have size, and should be teachable. If you are expecting polished offensive players, you will be disappointed. That is what our guards, and to a lesser extend Spangler are going to be for.

I'll just add to WTSooner, and say that Hield and Hornbeak weren't big stat stuffers either, but guys who had intangibles, good D and played within their team.

As others have said, these aren't last minute fill in the gap JUCO signings. They were scouted, identified, and signed by Kruger and staff. Seeing how last years class is already contributing at a high rate, that Kruger went after these two hard makes me feel better than the previous staff's success rate with JUCO's.

Those guys aren't being brought in to score like Ace. They aren't going to be scoring big men. They are going to score off rebounds and easy buckets that our guards create. Where LK can turn them into Big 12 starters is on the defensive end. From all accounts, they move well, have size, and should be teachable. If you are expecting polished offensive players, you will be disappointed. That is what our guards, and to a lesser extend Spangler are going to be for.

The fact that Bennett is the exact same type of player...that doesn't reassure me.

The fact that Bennett is the exact same type of player...that doesn't reassure me.

I'm with you on this. At least ONE of these low post players better be able to put the ball in the basket.

Bennett is taking a bad rap. I think this guy is a decent prospect. His length, athletic ability, and shot blocking WILL help us, just next year. I think he would be playing this year if he had more strength and size (weight).

JC transfers and D1 transfers are really Coach's forte. His evaluation and ability to get play out of these type of players is well documented. I expect these guys to be good and to contribute, assuming Hamilton is healthy and in shape.

Bennett is taking a bad rap. I think this guy is a decent prospect. His length, athletic ability, and shot blocking WILL help us, just next year. I think he would be playing this year if he had more strength and size (weight).

JC transfers and D1 transfers are really Coach's forte. His evaluation and ability to get play out of these type of players is well documented. I expect these guys to be good and to contribute, assuming Hamilton is healthy and in shape.

Bennett is taking a bad rap for no apparent reason. I don't know how Kruger will use his available players next season. This season he is trying to win with his bigs. Next season he might be trying to win with his guards.

But, if it is simply we lose Osby and one of the other guys takes his place. I'm not so sure Spangler has much if any advantage over Bennet. I wouldn't bet money either way one which of them turn out the best. Spangler is suppose to be the guy. But, Bennett has already displayed some usefull skillls.

Keshaun Hamilton definitely has the most potential in his offensive game. He hits jumpers and even takes and makes a few 3 pointers (I'm sure he won't be doing this in Norman, but shows you his range).

As I mentioned earlier, he had back problems and blew out a knee, two things that will significantly hinder a big man. If you are worried about those recurring, then I agree, me too. That said, I think we signed him with his potential on the offensive side as he isn't a big rebounder like Bennett, Spangler, and Elliott seem to be, but will be more of a threat to score.

That, in my opinion, is probably what our coaches have high hopes for him more than defense or rebounding.

For the record,
not to slight Bennett at all, but he was a spring signee where as Hamilton and Elliott were both fall signees.

Fall talent pool being generally far greater than the spring.

Given the results under Kruger so far, why don't you trust his judgment?

OU has a much better team this year than I expected. I anticipate some drop off next year because OU loses Osby, Grooms, Pledger, and Fitzgerald; however, I am really starting to have confidence in Kruger and don't think it will be as bad as I suspected last season.

If I were to critize anything about Kruger's recruiting to this point it would be I would prefer to see Bennett, Cole, Hamilton or Elliott traded for another back court player. I am worried OU is going to be short one guard next season.

Back