Julius Randle sets three official visits

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Article from a few days ago. FWIW:

http://zagsblog.com/articles/randle-to-visit-texas-kansas-n-c-state/

Randle ‘Fine’ After Foot Injury; Will Visit Texas, Kansas & N.C. State (UPDATED)

By CHIP MILLER & ADAM ZAGORIA

UPDATE: Julius Randle limped off the floor in the first half of Prestonwood Christian’s 58-48 loss to Duncanville on Saturday at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest, according to MaxPreps.com. It appeared to be a foot injury.

“He will be fine,” Jeff Webster, Randle’s AAU coach, told SNY.tv by text.

Prestonwood is already playing without 6-foot-7 sophomore Mickey Mitchell, who tore his ACL playing quarterback during football season.

On Friday, Randle talked about entering the next phase of his recruitment.

The 6-foot-9 power forward from Prestonwood Christian has set up official visits for Texas, Kansas and N.C. State.

Randle will visit Texas Dec 15-16 , Kansas Dec. 28-30 and N.C. State Jan. 25-27, his mother told SNY.tv.

Coaches from Kansas and Texas both watched Randle Friday at the Thanksgiving Hoopfest.

“I have Texas and Kansas next month,” Randle said Friday at the event where he put up 27 points and 13 rebounds in a 59-52 win over LSU-bound Jarell Martin and Madison (LA) Prep.

“I just talked to my mom about it yesterday.”

Texas hosts Texas State in basketball Dec. 15, while Kansas hosts American Dec. 29.

He has already taken officials to Kentucky and Florida, and an unofficial to Oklahoma.

“They were great visits,” he said. “You know, I have a lot of friends there already, so you know it was kind of good to catch up with those guys but also to catch up with the coaches and spend time with the coaches.

“All in all it was a lot of fun. Those visits, you know I got to hang out with the players and all that stuff. You know, I got an up close look on how the program was ranked.”

During Randle’s visit, N.C. State hosts ACC rival North Carolina on Jan. 26.

“Those guys are really close, just a brotherhood,” he said of N.C. State. “One of my best friends, Rodney Purvis, is there so I am really close to him and I get to see their fan base, the campus and a really close look at how they play. Just putting myself in that position of a player that is already there.”

Oklahoma is the sixth school on his list.

“I’m looking for a coach I can trust, one that can get me ready for the next level,‘’ Randle said. “And somewhere that I think I can win, it is a big thing for me.”

Randle will sign in the spring, along with Andrew Wiggins, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon and Dakari Johnson.

In the meantime, he’s trying to work on his game.

“I’ve been working a lot on spot-ups, patience, just reading defenses, you know,” he said.

“We have a lot more shooters so it’s easier to kick this year. One and two dribble pull-ups, I didn’t make any today but you know i think just me taking them, you know helped free me up for my drives and stuff like that and transitioning, just keep me in my condition.”

Meh, wasn't happening. We are never going to compete with schools like Kansas and Kentucky for recruits, unless they are from the state, or born into a family of lifelong Sooner fans.

Meh, wasn't happening. We are never going to compete with schools like Kansas and Kentucky for recruits, unless they are from the state, or born into a family of lifelong Sooner fans.

Did KU not offer Willie Warren?

I think OU beat Duke, iirc, for Najera.

I think KU had interest in T.J. Taylor, though not sure if they offered.

I'm no recruiting maven -- not by a long shot -- but I don't think official visits (or the lack thereof) are necessarily deal-makers/breakers. Randle took an unofficial visit, so it's not like he hasn't seen what we bring to the table.

I thought KU backed off of Willie Warren?

I also should have added the caveat of elite recruits. I do think OU can win some battles where the option is immediate starter and go to guy at OU vs. role player coming off the bunch with a chance to start as a junior or senior at a Kansas. That's obviously not the case with Randle though.

KU did back off Willie Warren.

Duke wasn't interested in Najera but I recall N.C. State wanting him.

Bet they are glad they didn't get Warren!!

KU did back off Willie Warren.

You seriously remember the recruitment of Najera from Sampson's fist season at OU or right around then? Najera played in 96/97 and redshirted if I recall correctly. That means he was recruited in 94/95.

OU has won its share of recruiting battles. Bobby Joe Evans, TMG, Drew Lavendar, Mckenzie, Tiny Gallon, WW, and others were all pretty high level recruits. Now in hind sight perhaps OU didn't want some of those guys, particularly TMG, but the idea that OU cannot win recruiting battles is ridiculous. Baylor is winning recruiting battles for major recruits. Texas is getting major recruits. (I suspect everyone wanted Kevin Durant before he went to Texas.)

Pretty sure it was Duke. I know it was a basketball power, pretty sure it was them. I know he chose OU over somebody he had no business choosing OU over.

Kind of refreshing to see a high profile recruit at least looking at some schools other than NC, Duke, Indiania. At least you got a look. That means that you still have a chance.

I'm no recruiting maven -- not by a long shot -- but I don't think official visits (or the lack thereof) are necessarily deal-makers/breakers. Randle took an unofficial visit, so it's not like he hasn't seen what we bring to the table.

I agree with you to some extent. However, an official visit allows a recruit to get an up close and personal look at a school and its athletic program an unofficial visit cannot give him.

That's why I'm hoping that OU will at least get one of the five key visits. If Julius decides not to come to OU on an official, I will take that to mean we're no longer in the running for his services. Sure hope I'm wrong.

UPDATE: As an FYI, a recent Scout.com report dated yesterday quotes Randle as saying that his fifth official visit will be betwen UT and OU.

Baylor is winning recruiting battles for major recruits.

Yes.... Baylor is *cough* *cough* "winning recruiting battles." *cough* *cough*

Yes.... Baylor is *cough* *cough* "winning recruiting battles." *cough* *cough*

There are those who would find it ironic for an osho fan to imply there's been anything improper about Baylor's recruiting tactics.

Me, I don't claim to know what inspires a player to decide that either Waco or Stillwater is the best place for him. But I have observed that recent signings by both these schools have raised eyebrows and inspired speculation in certain circles.

If a kid doesn't take an OV it's very, very rare they'll choose that school over others they have gone to.

Pretty sure it was Duke. I know it was a basketball power, pretty sure it was them. I know he chose OU over somebody he had no business choosing OU over.

Actually, it was Indiana...Bobby Knight really wanted him...can obviously see why.

You seriously remember the recruitment of Najera from Sampson's fist season at OU or right around then? Najera played in 96/97 and redshirted if I recall correctly. That means he was recruited in 94/95.

OU has won its share of recruiting battles. Bobby Joe Evans, TMG, Drew Lavendar, Mckenzie, Tiny Gallon, WW, and others were all pretty high level recruits. Now in hind sight perhaps OU didn't want some of those guys, particularly TMG, but the idea that OU cannot win recruiting battles is ridiculous. Baylor is winning recruiting battles for major recruits. Texas is getting major recruits. (I suspect everyone wanted Kevin Durant before he went to Texas.)

Yeah, not for most players but Najera is an exception, he went to church with my girlfriend at the time's family in San Antonio. TCU liked him a lot as well.

I wasn't trying to imply we haven't won some recruiting battles. I was just saying we didn't beat out Duke for Najera.

Last edited:

I think you're thinking of Wake Forrest who was good at the time and they backed off him when Tim Fuller committed or he probably would have ended up there.

Back