Kruger Quotes on McGusty/Freeman/Strong/Doolittle

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Kruger's quotes on each player below. More info at the link.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=210484492

Oklahoma head coach Lon Kruger on Doolittle:
“Kristian is a local guy who knows a lot about our program. We’ve known about him since his ninth grade year. We love his attitude and his family. He’s been very well coached by Coach (Shane) Cowherd. He’s got good size and good versatility. He can shoot the ball very well and also put it on the floor and attack. As an Oklahoma kid, he’ll wear the OU uniform proudly.”

OU Head Coach Lon Kruger on Freeman:
“Matt is a 6-9, very versatile guy who loves to play. He’s enthusiastic about coming to OU. We love people that really want to be here and be Sooners, and Matt very much so fits that profile. He’s very skilled and will bring a lot of versatility to Norman. He can score in a lot of different ways because he shoots the ball extremely well.

“It’s a huge advantage in that, in New Zealand, the school year ends at the calendar year, so they actually finish in November. Instead of just sitting around at home waiting, he decided to come now instead of in June. He’ll treat the spring semester like a redshirt year, so he’ll have that three to four months of additional work under his belt. He’ll get familiar working with our guys every day in the spring, as well as working and developing his game. It’s also important for him to get adjusted to the academic lifestyle.”

Oklahoma Head Coach Lon Kruger on McGusty:
“Kameron is a versatile player who can score in a lot of different ways. He’s 6-5 with good size and can play anywhere from the ‘one’ to the ‘three.’ He’s a rangy, athletic scorer who loves to play and really wants to be a Sooner. We are excited to add his skill set and overall game to the program next season.”

Oklahoma Head Coach Lon Kruger on Strong:
“Darrion is a combo-guard coming in from junior college, so he’s a little more experienced and a player who can really shoot it. He’s a guy under Coach (Jay) Herkelman who is very well prepared and a good competitor who shoots the ball well.”

Re: Kruger Quotes on McGusty/Freeman/Strong/Doolittle [SoonerSports.com]

Thats awesome that Freeman will come in early

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thrilled with this class! OU will lose some key players after this season. But the future still looks very bright with the players in this class and those who will still be around next year.

Great job by Kruger and his crew!

Great class. Obviously be down a little next year and then back up again the following years...

Great class. Obviously be down a little next year and then back up again the following years...

Not so fast, my friend!

Good grief, I can't believe I said that. I can't stand that guy. :)

Seriously, I see no reason why OU will not be a very good team next season. True, we lose three key players in Hield, Cousins and Spangler, plus a solid role player in Walker. But, Odomes, Lattin, James, McNeace, Woodard, Manyang and Buford will still be around. Add the best class of recruits in the Kruger era and you've got the makings of a team that will still be capable of winning championships.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm thrilled with this class! OU will lose some key players after this season. But the future still looks very bright with the players in this class and those who will still be around next year.

Great job by Kruger and his crew!
ditto

Freeman is going to meet the team in Hawaii and then come back to Norman with them.

Not so fast, my friend!

Seriously, I see no reason why OU will not be a very good team next season. True, we lose three key players in Hield, Cousins and Spangler, plus a solid role player in Walker. But, Odomes, Lattin, James, McNeace, Woodard, Manyang and Buford will still be around. Add the best class of recruits in the Kruger era and you've got the makings of a team that will still be capable of winning championships.

Ada. We won't be able to get back to a final 4 type team next year. Losing 2 like buddy and isiah, there will be a drop off. Still a good team, very nice team.

Freeman is going to meet the team in Hawaii and then come back to Norman with them.

Really? I wondered about the timing. I honestly didn't know if he could be with the team as soon as the 1st semester finished or had to wait until the 1st day of the spring semester. I knew if someone transfers mid-year, they become eligible as soon as the 1st semester ends (e.g. like Jameel McKay did last year with Iowa State).

I didn't know about early freshman enrollees. Does that mean the early football players can join the team for bowl preparations? That doesn't seem right.

Just asking......

Note: It's almost 7,500 miles and a 9 hour flight from New Zealand to Hawaii. His butt will be hurting by the time he gets to Norman. I assume it's the tournament flight and not the one on December 7th.

Not so fast, my friend!

Agree a 100%. They set the roster up well to where we won't have a "down year". It'll be ANOTHER 20 win season.

So excited about Freeman being here early! Will be cool seeing a kid from the next class at practice and having him get ready for the following season!

Really? I wondered about the timing. I honestly didn't know if he could be with the team as soon as the 1st semester finished or had to wait until the 1st day of the spring semester. I knew if someone transfers mid-year, they become eligible as soon as the 1st semester ends (e.g. like Jameel McKay did last year with Iowa State).

I didn't know about early freshman enrollees. Does that mean the early football players can join the team for bowl preparations? That doesn't seem right.

Just asking......

I remember awhile back former osu qb Bobby Reid joined osu for their bowl when he enrolled early.

Ada. We won't be able to get back to a final 4 type team next year. Losing 2 like buddy and isiah, there will be a drop off. Still a good team, very nice team.

There is no way there will not be a drop off but there is no reason that they still couldn't make a run through the tournament.

Extremely weird question, and we've talked about this subject before, but say Freeman comes in and is much better than anticipated. Then they decide to play him. Well does that mean after this year he has 3 & 1/2 years left? Or does that just count as a full year? It's such a weird situation I didn't know how that worked. Figured it just counted as a full year.

There is no way there will not be a drop off but there is no reason that they still couldn't make a run through the tournament.

Correct. I think we still are set for years, but final 4 run is unrealistic next year. Of course teams get hot and make runs.

Agree a 100%. They set the roster up well to where we won't have a "down year". It'll be ANOTHER 20 win season.

Im saying as good as this team. There will be a dropoff. 20 wins for sure.

Extremely weird question, and we've talked about this subject before, but say Freeman comes in and is much better than anticipated. Then they decide to play him. Well does that mean after this year he has 3 & 1/2 years left? Or does that just count as a full year? It's such a weird situation I didn't know how that worked. Figured it just counted as a full year.

It would count as a full year. He wont play this year.

We will be a pretty complete team next year anyway. Inexperienced but skills and depth at every position.

PG - Woodard/Strong
SG - McGusty/James
SF - Odomes/Doolittle
PF - Buford/Freeman
C - Lattin/Manyang/McNeace

Pretty versatile lineup if you ask me.

We will be a pretty complete team next year anyway. Inexperienced but skills and depth at every position.

PG - Woodard/Strong
SG - McGusty/James
SF - Odomes/Doolittle
PF - Buford/Freeman
C - Lattin/Manyang/McNeace

Pretty versatile lineup if you ask me.

If Bolden comes in they may not drop off.

If Bolden comes in they may not drop off.

Agree. We are losing 4 starters and our 6th man. And we don't know who our 5th starter is bc no one has really stepped up yet to claim that spot.

If Bolden comes here, we should be a top 25 team. If he doesn't then we probably won't be very good but that's what happens when you lose 4 starters.

One good thing though is that the big 12 won't be very good as a whole bc every team is losing several key players.
OSU loses 3 starters
Texas loses 5 seniors
Isu loses several players
Baylor does as well

I do think we will get to twenty wins just by the big 12 not being near as good.

Back