Kruger Quotes on McGusty/Freeman/Strong/Doolittle

Re: Kruger Quotes on McGusty/Freeman/Strong/Doolittle [SoonerSports.com]

It would count as a full year. He wont play this year.

Technically don't think it would, but for our purposes it would. He should be able to play the fall semester that final year and then be done. So he could play non-con then 'graduate', which no one would ever do. You get 10 semesters to play 8, would only use one this spring.

Technically don't think it would, but for our purposes it would. He should be able to play the fall semester that final year and then be done. So he could play non-con then 'graduate', which no one would ever do. You get 10 semesters to play 8, would only use one this spring.

That is my understanding as well.

Have you ever seen that done? No coach would ever do that.

He's redshirting book it.

Ada. We won't be able to get back to a final 4 type team next year. Losing 2 like buddy and isiah, there will be a drop off. Still a good team, very nice team.

Oh, I realize it's highly unlikely there will not be a drop off next season. We'll be losing three outstanding players, not subs off of the bench who won't be missed all that much. I also didn't overlook the fact that you said we'll be down "a little" next year. To be honest, I agree with what you said.

I was mainly pointing out that next year's team, while lacking in experience to some extent, will be loaded with talent at every position. Much will depend on how fast the newbies mesh with the returning players, and how fast they adapt to the college game. The pieces will be there, that's for sure. If by chance Bolden wants to be a Sooner, I see a final four finish in our future. If not, I still think next year's team could make a deep run in the tourney.

That's not right at all. If he plays in a game this year, then that's his freshman season. Period. He's not even eligible to play until he attends class, and the first day of class is January 19th. The first game he could play in is January 23rd which is OU's 7th Big 12 game and 19th game overall. If he plays one play in the second half of the season, then he can't even apply for a medical hardship if he were to play and get injured.

You get 5 years to play 4 in Division I sports. The 10 semester rule is for Division II and III only and says you have to complete your 4 years of playing in your first 10 semesters of being a full-time student. Playing 8 semesters doesn't apply anywhere. If you play, you play for the season; not the semester.

Oh, I realize it's highly unlikely there will not be a drop off next season. We'll be losing three outstanding players, not subs off of the bench who won't be missed all that much. I also didn't overlook the fact that you said we'll be down "a little" next year. To be honest, I agree with what you said.

I was mainly pointing out that next year's team, while lacking in experience to some extent, will be loaded with talent at every position. Much will depend on how fast the newbies mesh with the returning players, and how fast they adapt to the college game. The pieces will be there, that's for sure. If by chance Bolden wants to be a Sooner, I see a final four finish in our future. If not, I still think next year's team could make a deep run in the tourney.

I agree. Probably not next year but the following year with lattin as a senior, Bolden and mcgusty as sophomores. I think the key piece though will be adding young.

But he'll be much more valuable to the team in the spring of his senior year than he would this spring. We're talking about blowing that last semester so he could come in and play a couple of minutes a game as the 10th or 11th guy this year. Barring a major injury or maybe 2, it would be very foolish not to redshirt him this year.

That's not right at all. If he plays in a game this year, then that's his freshman season. Period. He's not even eligible to play until he attends class, and the first day of class is January 19th. The first game he could play in is January 23rd which is OU's 7th Big 12 game and 19th game overall. If he plays one play in the second half of the season, then he can't even apply for a medical hardship if he were to play and get injured.

You get 5 years to play 4 in Division I sports. The 10 semester rule is for Division II and III only and says you have to complete your 4 years of playing in your first 10 semesters of being a full-time student. Playing 8 semesters doesn't apply anywhere. If you play, you play for the season; not the semester.

my bad, thought I read the semester thing somewhere. Thanks for straightening out.

I've been team don't play no matter what anyways. Just don't think it's worth it unless he really is some game changer. Just can't see him adjusting that quickly as skinny as he is and the difference in speed of D1 to NZ.

Unless Freeman is the only body available on the bench to give us 5 players he will not play this year. That means everybody would have to be fouled out or injured. Not very likely. We will go with Mankin, Bola, Harper, and cj Cole before we burn his redshirt

my bad, thought I read the semester thing somewhere. Thanks for straightening out.

I've been team don't play no matter what anyways. Just don't think it's worth it unless he really is some game changer. Just can't see him adjusting that quickly as skinny as he is and the difference in speed of D1 to NZ.

No big deal. I just wanted people to understand the rule. Also, we're in total agreement it's not much of a likelihood anyway, although it would be great if he is good enough to even remotely consider.

No big deal. I just wanted people to understand the rule. Also, we're in total agreement it's not much of a likelihood anyway, although it would be great if he is good enough to even remotely consider.

If he is good enough and can help the team win then I think he should be played.

There is no way any coach would play a college basketball athlete the second semester after arriving early only to sacrifice the last half of his last year of eligibility. Period.

There is no way any coach would play a college basketball athlete the second semester after arriving early only to sacrifice the last half of his last year of eligibility. Period.

Why not? If you are making a run at a national title then why the heck not?

I am in the camp that probably doesn't think he is ready to contribute right away but if he surprises and he is then I say go for the gold.

These type of seasons in OU basketball only come around about one every 4-6 years...

The type of player he would have to be to make that type of difference would mean he wouldn't be around for four years anyway rendering it a moot point.

The type of player he would have to be to make that type of difference would mean he wouldn't be around for four years anyway rendering it a moot point.

If the kid can help take the team to the next level then they would play him no matter when he arrives. It depends on the talent of the kid. If Bolden showed up on OU's roster at mid year, he would be playing asap.

I believe Florida did or was going to do this with Chris Walker a few years ago.

Back