Latavious Williams to decide between KSU, Memphis, & Gtown

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
http://www.zagsblog.com/

Latavious Williams, the No. 6 power forward in the nation, will announce his college choice Monday during a press conference.

Williams will choose from among Memphis, Georgetown and Kansas State, said his high school coach, Carlos Wilson.

“I’m ready to get it over with,” Williams, a 6-foot-7, 195-pound wing forward, told Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com. “Then I can get some guidance getting through the Clearinghouse.”

Memphis coach Josh Pastner recently visited with Williams, and assistant coaches from Georgetown and Kansas State have also come there, Rivals reported.

Wilson previously said that Europe might also be an option if Williams doesn’t qualify academically.

“If he didn’t qualify I’m thinking he would maybe have to look at some junior college or possibly some European situations,” Wilson said.

“I think Europe is a viable option in his mind. I really do think there’s a possibility that he would look into playing overseas if he didn’t qualify. It just depends.”

Abd, you definetely are a believer in the overall value of a strong conference. I know you are a general basketball fan. Personally I don't want anyone to get great players outside of the University of Oklahoma. KSU and Baylor worry me because they seem to be overly ambitious on the recruiting trail. Now alot of that has to do with how well connected they are on the AAU scene. But as slimy as the AAU scene is, you almost have to get dirty to get some of these guys.

"overly ambitious"?

i'd hate to root for a team that had a staff that was afraid to go after good players.

No disrespect to you as a KSU fan, but it just seems as all the recruits who have handlers and go to these shady prep schools end up having the same leaders. Baylor, KSU, Memphis, and UConn. Have you seen that trend? In the past you would see Cinncinati or a Fresno State following these trends.

Abd, you definetely are a believer in the overall value of a strong conference. I know you are a general basketball fan. Personally I don't want anyone to get great players outside of the University of Oklahoma. KSU and Baylor worry me because they seem to be overly ambitious on the recruiting trail. Now alot of that has to do with how well connected they are on the AAU scene. But as slimy as the AAU scene is, you almost have to get dirty to get some of these guys.

I watch a ton of Big 12 basketball, and as such, want to see great players. I don't want OU to be the only good team in the conference, lol.

I watch a ton of Big 12 basketball, and as such, want to see great players. I don't want OU to be the only good team in the conference, lol.

I would love for OU to be the Memphis of the big12. Now I know it's not going to happen, especially with Texas and Kansas, but I don't want to fall to 4th or 5th.

No disrespect to you as a KSU fan, but it just seems as all the recruits who have handlers and go to these shady prep schools end up having the same leaders. Baylor, KSU, Memphis, and UConn. Have you seen that trend?

not really. ksu does end up competing with baylor on a lot of recruits, but i don't think it is any more complex than tang and figger (ksu asst) both having contacts in al, miss, and tx. baylor also has tried to get a number of florida guys (not successfully that i know of), which is obviously martin's bread and butter.

memphis under calipari was in on a ton of high profile guys. so, they naturally crossed paths with ksu on a few. i think you'd be able to say the same of any big 12 team that tries to recruit high level players, especially from the south.

i honestly haven't seen uconn involved with many ksu recruits. martin does recruit nyc, so it is natural that there would be some, but there haven't been many that i can think of. unfortunately, most of the nyc players ksu has been involved with have been a rung below the level uconn targets.

i think ksu has been on more shared lists with georgetown than any other school.

do you have any ksu recruits in particular that you are thinking of as shady?

not really. ksu does end up competing with baylor on a lot of recruits, but i don't think it is any more complex than tang and figger (ksu asst) both having contacts in al, miss, and tx. baylor also has tried to get a number of florida guys (not successfully that i know of), which is obviously martin's bread and butter.

memphis under calipari was in on a ton of high profile guys. so, they naturally crossed paths with ksu on a few. i think you'd be able to say the same of any big 12 team that tries to recruit high level players, especially from the south.

i honestly haven't seen uconn involved with many ksu recruits. martin does recruit nyc, so it is natural that there would be some, but there haven't been many that i can think of. unfortunately, most of the nyc players ksu has been involved with have been a rung below the level uconn targets.

i think ksu has been on more shared lists with georgetown than any other school.

do you have any ksu recruits in particular that you are thinking of as shady?

Some thought Bill Walker was shady. Plus OJ Mayo was a high target for K State. Many still consider him "shady".

Some thought Bill Walker was shady. Plus OJ Mayo was a high target for K State. Many still consider him "shady".

both loved manhattan/campus/flint hills.

sry that people dnt feel the sme about nrmn

Huggy had a once in a decade recruiting situation. He was out of basketball so he could visit recruits without the constraints of NCAA rules. He hadn't been hired yet so he could visit during quiet times, he could make as many calls as he wished without sanctions. This was a super advantage in pulling in Beasley, Walker and almost Mayo.

The perceived shadiness was in the fact both Walker and Mayo had been to so many different high schools you questioned whether they were qualified.

The perceived shadiness was in the fact both Walker and Mayo had been to so many different high schools you questioned whether they were qualified.

Really why do kids even need to qualify to play basketball. The NCAA has made it perfectly clear it could give a rats butt about college athletes getting an education. Why make them qualify for college? Just let them come in their freshmen year, take a few pud classes 1st semester, enroll in 2nd semester but never show up for class and then go to the league.

Really why do kids even need to qualify to play basketball. The NCAA has made it perfectly clear it could give a rats butt about college athletes getting an education. Why make them qualify for college? Just let them come in their freshmen year, take a few pud classes 1st semester, enroll in 2nd semester but never show up for class and then go to the league.

If they made them do that, then why make them go to college at all?

If they made them do that, then why make them go to college at all?

Exactly.

Does this Williams kids play for DC Assault?
And who has him as the #6 PF in the country?
What I find on him he's not ranked that high.

Exactly.

Does this Williams kids play for DC Assault?
And who has him as the #6 PF in the country?
What I find on him he's not ranked that high.

No, he's from Misssissippi, but went to a prep school in Humble Texas. He use to be a heavy Mississippi State lean. He's really ranked that high based on potential. He played in stillwater this spring for a tournament.

Back