Latavious Williams postpones annoucement

Seymore Cox

Reaction score
www.zagsblog.com

Latavious Williams, a 6-7 wing from Humble (Texas) Christian Life Center ranked the No. 6 power forward in the nation, pushed his college announcement until Tuesday in Houston.

“About 2 o’clock [Central Time]. I didn’t do anything today,” he wrote in a text.

Williams will decide between Georgetown, Memphis, Oklahoma, Kansas State and Florida International. He previously told me Memphis was his leader.

Dan Wolken of The Memphis Edge is also reporting that 6-7 forward Noel Johnson will ask out of his Letter of Intent to USC because of the
NCAA investigation in the wake of the O.J. Mayo and Reggie Bush cases. Memphis could be one possible landing spot for Johnson if he gets his release.

Still looks like OU is on the outside looking in or probably Williams is on the outside looking in as far as getting an offer from OU. I think when everything is said about Williams and some other recruits that OU misses out on, eligibility will be the primary reason. Also a blurb about Noel Johnson asking for a release from his LOI. The blurb comes from a Memphis paper. Makes me curious as if the Lance Stephenson/Xavier Henry senario is playing out in Memphis. Memphis does have available scholarships to sign both players. Hopefully OU could get in on Johnson. He could be a guy that can step in for Patillo and OU not miss a beat.

Johnson and Willis had a famous battle in High School two years ago. Both guys played for the Georgia Stars. I wouldn't be suprised to see OU get in on him. I predict they'll be in the mix along with Memphis and maybe Georgia. If he hold by his decision to ask out of his LOI, it's going to be nearly impossible for USC to deny him.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cv-tlBnwY80[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm49x9Zfp-k[/ame]

Last edited:
I think right now, we really want Williams to commit to Memphis. I think OU getting involved in Johnson would be huge. Now that's not saying OU would be a leader for Johnson, but I like the idea of recruiting Johnson over the Idea of going after Williams, waiting for the clearinghouse, and then keeping him eligible. Johnson would step in from day 1, and be a starter. His game gives you the same things that Williams game gives you and frankly he might be able to play the 4 a little better.

http://blog.northstarbball.com/2009...nson-to-ask-for-release-from-usc.aspx?ref=rss
According to a source close to the player and his family, Noel Johnson '09 of Fayette County (GA) will be asking for a release from his Letter of Intent with the University of Southern California. Johnson's decision comes due to the recent scandal involving Tim Floyd and potential major recruiting violations regarding OJ Mayo. According to the source, Johnson will either end up at LSU, UConn, Georgia Tech, or UNLV, and will likely not have USC as an option in his second go-around. Once again, in news being first reported by Northstar Basketball, Noel Johnson is asking USC for a release from his LOI.

I still think OU makes a push.

According to Scout.com, Johnson asked for and received his release:

“It’s official,” Lynbert “Cheese” Johnson, the father of Noel Johnson, told Scout.com referring to his son being released from his Letter of Intent with USC.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/867519.html

Johnson's father also said his son has "a couple of schools" in mind and that he would like to make a decision before summer school starts, so he could get enrolled in school and get acclimated to his surroundings. Hopefully OU is one of those schools.

Can Johnson play the "4"? If not, he won't help much, or at all, next year.

Yeah. He plays it in High School. Basically he plays all around the court and seems to be in the mode of a Sam Young or a not as physically strong Joey Graham. He has been listed at 6'6 to 6'7. His achilles has been his defense, but that may be a desire and technique thing as opposed to an ability thing. College basketball is moving more towards the combo forward that can step out on the floor and handle, slash, and shoot. He is ideal for that. The drawbacks to getting in on him would be as a player, he knows that his chances of the NBA are at the two guard and may not go to a place that would play him as a four. Also, a wing may discourage our recruiting efforts with Clark. OU has signed two Georgia players in two of the last three years and have been in bigtime on three others. That is why I suspect OU will go after him.

Last edited:
Yeah. He plays it in High School. Basically he plays all around the court and seems to be in the mode of a Sam Young or a not as physically strong Joey Graham. He has been listed at 6'6 to 6'7. His achilles has been his defense, but that may be a desire and technique thing as opposed to an ability thing. College basketball is moving more towards the combo forward that can step out on the floor and handle, slash, and shoot. He is ideal for that. The drawbacks to getting in on him would be as a player, he knows that his chances of the NBA are at the two guard and may not go to a place that would play him as a four. Also, a wing may discourage our recruiting efforts with Clark. OU has signed two Georgia players in two of the last three years and have been in bigtime on three others. That is why I suspect OU will go after him.

Judging by everything I've seen on video and read about Johnson, you are spot on in your assessment with the two points I highlighted.

TU makes a valid point about bringing in a PF. The problem is, it's highly unlikely a quality four is still available at this late date. Johnson appears to be more of wing than a PF. That said, I would rather have a 6' 6" to 6' 7" 188 wing with range to 25 feet and the ability to create off the dribble than an undersized PF in Pattillo who was extremely limited in what he brought to the floor last season. As some of us have said many times, you can't get enough scoring guards and wings. OU may not even be on this this kid's radar. But I would take him in a heartbeat if the attraction is mutual.

Here's what ESPN had to say in December:

December, 2008: Noel is a very skilled combo wing. He has all the tools for greatness, he only needs add more intensity and consistency. He is a very good scorer with all the shots. He is a solid jump shooter, though streaky, with range to 25 feet. He is very good off the dribble with the ability to create for himself (mostly) and others (sometimes). He is a very good passer when motivated that can be very creative. He can aptly play either wing position with his size and skills. He is a decent rebounder though he could be better with his size and athleticism. He is not much of a defender at this point though that should improve once he gets to the college level. He should have an immediate impact at USC.

From the vids, Johnson looks more like a wing. His HS coach threw out the numbers 5 rebounds and 4 assists as his season numbers in '08 on a team where he clearly wasn't riding pine. That versatility is nice for a player, but we're going to need physicality and grit down low. We run the very real risk of becoming too much of a jump-shooting team to ask large wings to play as bruisers; those type of teams can really struggle on off nights because the long-range 2 is the least-efficient shot in basketball and only so many pick-and-pop shots rattle down.

I like Johnson, from the looks of things. But maybe not as a contributor next year. Wright, Allen, Tiny, and Fitz are pretty much our four guys down low unless Hardrick opens some eyes. Plus the Clark/Barnes sweeps get more remote if we keep our roster full of guys who basically do the same things.

That versatility is nice for a player, but we're going to need physicality and grit down low.

If we can't get physical grit out of Allen, Fitz, Tiny, Wright, Tiny, and Hardrick, we have serious problems. The thing about those 5 is neither of them will be able to match up with a guy like Singletary who Tech clears out like Nolan Johnson, A super active Gary Johnson, Mario Little, Obi Muenelo, or and alot of these Combo forwards that we'll see. The flip side of that is Ray Willis is long enough and in some cases taller than those guys, but too light in the ass to contend. These are matchups that will give OU fits and if they don't get someone to help out with these matchups then they'll continue to be in trouble playing these teams.

And Obi can't stop any of the big guys from scoring inside.

I don't worry about "those" matchups.

We need two bigs that can match up against the two bigs that most teams are going to run at us.

Memphis coach Josh Pastner finally landed a big fish.

Latavious Williams, a 6-foot-8 combo forward out of Humble (TX) Christian Life Center, committed to the Tigers Tuesday, choosing them over Georgetown, Oklahoma, Kansas State and Florida International.

Done deal.

And Obi can't stop any of the big guys from scoring inside.

I don't worry about "those" matchups.

We need two bigs that can match up against the two bigs that most teams are going to run at us.

If it's a bucket for bucket matchup between Obi and Wright, Fitz, or Hardrick, I'll take Obi every time.

Looks like Noel Johnson is down to Ga. Tech and LSU. :mad: I was hoping OU would get involved.

Here in Memphis they said on the news at 6 that Williams had announced he will be attending U of Memphis. He can't make the grades or test scores for OU but is able to make it at Memphis that should tell you something about him.

Living in Memphis I listen to some of these kids and I wonder how they are even in school, but they can play basketball

. Living in Memphis I listen to some of these kids and I wonder how they are even in school, but they can play basketball

oketex, you answered your own question. ;)

Where ya been, bro! I have missed having you around.

Back