Latest Scout update on Doron Lamb

Sooner23

Reaction score
It's a premium update, so I'll just summarize as best as I can. Long story short, Lamb's father loves Calipari. Said "for some people it's a dream for (Calipari) to coach you."

Made mention of the fact that he's coached a lot of pros and put him on a pedestal over Self and Capel. Didn't put them down, but said Calipari "has done it longer" compared to them. Also said he didn't think he would sign early and will probably visit UConn, Arizona and St. Johns at some point.

Anyway, thought that was interesting. Here's the link to the article if you're a Scout subscriber..........

http://kentucky.scout.com/2/912032.html

Last edited:
I really think Kentucky doesn't haven't room for him right now and he will only end up at Kentucky if they strike out on all the PG prospects they're in on. I suspect that is why he is waiting for Spring, to see where the guys like Selby, Knight etc end up going.
Now I am a little afraid this could be Jai Lucas 2.0 though.

Forgot to mention that the interview was with Doron's father not Doron.

Again, guys, don't put anything into it. Doesn't mean anything. Lamb has been wide open all along and this is going to stretch out into the spring. It usually does with these top guys.

It seems all along that Doron likes OU but Dad is pushing Kentucky. Dad has a lot of influence, but Doron will make his own decision in the end. I don't think Kentucky ends up having space for him.

It seems all along that Doron likes OU but Dad is pushing Kentucky. Dad has a lot of influence, but Doron will make his own decision in the end. I don't think Kentucky ends up having space for him.

I never like it when the parents have as much of an influence/say as to where the recruit will go, like it seems to be with Doron and his father. I mean sure, you could say he is looking out for his son and wants what is best for him, but it is the recruit's final say as to where he wants to go (or at least, it should be). He is the one getting the scholarship, not his parents. JMO

I never like it when the parents have as much of an influence/say as to where the recruit will go, like it seems to be with Doron and his father. I mean sure, you could say he is looking out for his son and wants what is best for him, but it is the recruit's final say as to where he wants to go (or at least, it should be). He is the one getting the scholarship, not his parents. JMO

If his Dad was touting OU like he is Calipari, we wouldn't mind. The kid is going to stretch it out until the spring, while I don't like it, I would do the same thing. Why sign early when you can wait to the last minute to make a decision when most of the NBA entries and coaching changes have been made. If you're that good of a player, a handful of elite teams will keep a scholly.

Well, I think we all know what that means, and it is not good news. Waiting until the spring is a smart move for this kid if he wants to be at UK as it is clear [as clear as it can be anyway] to me that his offer is somewhat conditional on what happens with other kids.

Here is the thing though, KU and OU want him NOW, and both want him unconditionally. If I Doron or his father, and one school is slow playing me I am not thinking that my kid is going to get the best opportunity to shine at that school. Either way, I wish Doron luck...if I was 17 and trying to figure out the best place for me to succeed I'd take my time as well.

Still wouldn't shock me that if UK has not offered by the early signing period that Doron goes ahead and signs an LOI with OU or KU.

This is going to sound like sour grapes or whatever, but I honestly will always be happy to lose a recruiting battle with Calipari. To me, the type of kid that buys what Calipari is selling usually isn't going to be the type of kid you want in your program. I know there are exceptions and all that stuff, but the dude is just so slimy and UK is just such a cesspool lately that I just won't ever feel bad if we lose a kid to Kentucky. I like Lamb and want him to be a Sooner, but as far as I'm concerned, if he chooses UK then I know all I need to know about how to feel about him. But unlike Barnes, Jones and McCallum, I won't pull for him if he's a Wildcat.

I know some of you are probably rolling your eyes right now, but I think the things that attract a kid to choose a school say a lot about what type of kid he is. I was a huge Derrick Rose fan and always thought of him as a great kid, but you don't wind up having someone else take you SAT's if you are a solid kid. And I don't think its a stretch to say that we all know that Xavier Henry, John Wall and DeMarcus Cousins aren't exactly the types of kids that make you really feel great about recruiting. Maybe I am naive or whatever, but I stick by it. I will never, ever, ever be disappointed to lose a kid to Calipari. There may be exceptions, but I just don't think I want the kind of kids that want to play for him.

I'd have to agree with everything you said elmo. Let's just hope this decision is Doron's and not his father's.

Elmo I understand your take and its easy to agree but maybe its Kentucky that sells these kids more than Cal.

Elmo you and I agree most of the time but I totally disagree with your post.
I don't think a kid is a bad kid or not a kid that OU wants just because he's considering or goes to Kentucky.

I don't get why a parent would like Calipari. He has demonstrated no loyalty to anyone but himself and has been caught cheating at least once and maybe will be again.

I also think you have to keep in mind the particular interview. If a Kentucky source is interviewing you about Kentucky, you are likely to say descent things about Kentucky. Finally, I am not sure I would put too much stock into what a parent says. A lot of people at 18 are going to think they know a lot more than their parents.

Finally, I am not sure I would put too much stock into what a parent says. A lot of people at 18 are going to think they know a lot more than their parents.

I agree. I don't see what the hang-up with Mr. Lamb is here with some posters. When he spoke highly of OU a few were saying Lamb was going to OU. He talked in what they thought was in lesser regard about his KU visit and it reaffirmed he was going to OU. Now he's raving about Kentucy and Doron is going to Kentucky, OU is out and Mr Lamb may be deciding where Doron goes and not Doron. All this is being fabricated from a few short sentences and generalization type comments.
I mean seriously...just relax and let it play out.
Like you said recruits typically always talk in glowing terms of their recent visit because it's the media from that particular school doing the interviewing.

I agree. I don't see what the hang-up with Mr. Lamb is here with some posters. When he spoke highly of OU a few were saying Lamb was going to OU. He talked in what they thought was in lesser regard about his KU visit and it reaffirmed he was going to OU. Now he's raving about Kentucy and Doron is going to Kentucky, OU is out and Mr Lamb may be deciding where Doron goes and not Doron. All this is being fabricated from a few short sentences and generalization type comments.
I mean seriously...just relax and let it play out.
Like you said recruits typically always talk in glowing terms of their recent visit because it's the media from that particular school doing the interviewing.

people can have opinions. I think the hangup is the fact that he does so many interviews.

I don't know about that line of thinking Elmo. I'm not a Calipari fan either, but I don't think that just because a kid chooses a school that he's coaching at makes him slimy or a bad kid who shares the same thoughts as Calipari. From what I understand we are still in good shape with Doron. Right now he's getting to see the flash and dash of big time programs like uk and ku. Let's see what happens. Don't think that Tiny isn't in Doron's ear. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

people can have opinions. I think the hangup is the fact that he does so many interviews.

Does he? Really? I mean he does interviews after each visit. Why? Because freakin' the media is calling him. I've seen nothing out of Mr. Lamb nor Doron to think anything is out of the ordinary.
What is out of the ordinary is people thinking he should hurry up and make a decision. I mean like 2-3 days after his visit to OU there were threads about when and why he hadn't committed yet. It doesn't work that way.
This is a big-time recruit who hasn't even taken all of his scheduled visits.
I mean really. Give the kid a break.

Back