Laying Out Why This Season Was a Failure Minus Hyperbole or Melodrama

OUSKINS

Reaction score
In sports, as in life, I view most things in two parts: The results and the process. I think they are both important because over time a good process will generally yield good results. But it doesn’t always work that way in a vacuum. In a smaller sample size one doesn’t always equal the other. One doesn’t always tell the story of the other. That’s the way it was for OU basketball this year. I’d give them a “B” or so for the results, but somewhere near an “F” for the process.

Prior to the year if you told me we’d go 18-13 and be a 10 seed in the Dance I wouldn’t have done cartwheels, but I probably would have felt that was an acceptable result. I also almost certainly would have assumed that started slow and gained momentum later given the roster and the schedule. A first round loss is always disappointing, but the tourney itself is kind of a crapshoot. I don’t think the actual results minus any context from this year were “bad” at all. They weren’t great either, but the record books won’t show this season has being a negative one.

However, this season feels like close to a complete failure to me because the process was so mangled.

We knew when we landed TY that he had the potential to be a one and done. We knew this year had the potential to be somewhat unique in that we were bad the year before and then could see a quick spike followed by a possible immediate downturn if he left. I think we all knew this year could be a little different. But no matter what, when a season ends, you want to either feel as if your team accomplished something great OR at least laid the foundation to do so later. In 2013-2015 each season ended with real hope for improvement the next year. When 2016 ended, that immediate hope was gone, but we had the satisfaction of knowing that team left their own legacy by reaching a Final Four. And that type of success is always good for a program. So the lousy results of 2017 were acceptable to me because of what we accomplished from 2013-2016. Great run, time to reboot.

But right now, everything that happened in 2018 feels empty. Nothing great accomplished and absolutely no building blocks laid. Quite he contrary actually. I actually feel WORSE than I did a year ago at this time regarding the state of the program.

I thought things really turned during the game in Stillwater. That was an abomination. Just gross basketball. It was awkward to watch. Total and complete one-man show with zero semblance of anything team-related at all. Nothing. At the time I hoped it was just a low point and a bad reaction to teams adjusting to us and our hot start. But it never got better. In some ways it got worse. Because we had TY we were still a mildly dangerous team late in the year, but make no mistake as an overall basketball team we were AWFUL. We had no strengths and did nothing well.

To me this falls mostly on Lon and the coaches. He’s had a great career and he’s been great in Norman. He’s also apparently a gem of a guy. I am really happy he wound up here and appreciate what he has done. But he failed this year miserably. I think he let his team down. He had zero answers for them. No clue how to get us back on track once we derailed. And the regression of the four sophomores was staggering. Almost incomprehensible. If your team and players gradually get worse and worse, that is a VERY bad sign for a coach.

I think some of the heat TY took was over the top. But I also don’t think he is absolved in this. I stay away from being a psychologist or body language expert in areas where I am not directly involved, but it’s really hard from the outside looking in to not question certain things. I also find it weird that he doesn’t get along with his HS teammate Lindy Waters and that his HS team somehow got better after he left. I have no doubt that much of this was exaggerated or even made up, but where there is smoke there is fire. I think there is probably some entitlement going on perhaps with a “stage Dad” element mixed in. Again, I have ZERO sources or info; this is based on logic and outside observation along with some of the whispers we hear.

I am sure TY got increasingly frustrated throughout the year about his lack of support and his struggles with efficiency. Kruger didn’t help him and neither did his teammates. But I also don’t think he is entirely “innocent” in this either.

They were a joyless team at the end. I do think they gave it their all in Pittsburgh. It was the smartest and most spirited they’d played in almost two months. But it was too late. Bad habits and maybe just some downright bad players couldn’t be overcome. In OT of the last game of the year we wound up needing TY to make 35 foot three’s to win the game— he missed them both. In the end, they couldn’t escape what they’d become. And what they’d become was an almost impossible basketball team to watch— and quite frankly one that was hard to like.

Worst part might be what lies ahead. No one coming back next year made any progress. Many regressed. And I doubt we gained any momentum in recruiting or such given TY’s late struggles and our overall collapse. I think Lon should be back. I think he deserves the chance to right the ship. He could potentially make up for his issues this year by getting next year’s team to improve and/or overachieve. But if they have another year like they did in 2017, I’m not sure you can feel great about where we are heading.

2018 was not a good season for OU basketball. As a matter of fact I’d call it more than a disappointment. I consider it a failure.

You cannot call a tournament appearance a failure but the word disappointment is definitely accurate. Incredibly disappointing and maddening, but by definition IMO if you go to the tournament it is not a failure of a season.

Overall I don’t disagree with much about your post at all.

Finishing 9th in a 10 team conference will never be considered a success.

Back