Let's play armchair pointguard

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
I would like to see Coach Capel start Drew Fitzgerald next to Tiny on Monday and run high-low sets similar to what we have seen during the last couple of years. Both Tiny and Fitz have a nice midrange game, and it would set up some nice pic and roll opportunities for this offense.

I would like to see the team slow the ball down and pound it to Tiny and Fitz every time in the halfcourt. Tiny is really good at finding the open man, and it would set up our guards for some good looks from deep. It also will help put our guys in position to actually get some offensive rebounds.

Our only chance during Big 12 play is to slow the game down and run the offense through Tiny.

What do you think?

BigTime, you are right, with this team that is the only chance we have to compete in the big 12

I think you are onto something. It certainly beats any four guard set...

I would like to see Coach Capel start Drew Fitzgerald next to Tiny on Monday and run high-low sets similar to what we have seen during the last couple of years. Both Tiny and Fitz have a nice midrange game, and it would set up some nice pic and roll opportunities for this offense.

I would like to see the team slow the ball down and pound it to Tiny and Fitz every time in the halfcourt. Tiny is really good at finding the open man, and it would set up our guards for some good looks from deep. It also will help put our guys in position to actually get some offensive rebounds.

Our only chance during Big 12 play is to slow the game down and run the offense through Tiny.

What do you think?

I'm on board with your suggestions, BT!

I can't for the life of me figure out what Coach Capel sees in Ryan or Big O that makes him believe they should be getting the bulk of the minutes at the other post position? Maybe Fitz kicked the Capel dog or cat, or he doesn't like rap music. :)

If RW was a shot blocking, rebounding, defensive machine, we could live with his deficiencies on offense. Heck, I would be happy if he excelled in just gone of those areas. But a quick check of his stats will show that not that good at anything, unless it's his commendable work ethic.

I understand why Coach chose to go with four guards to get more experience on the floor early on. But bigger teams we're playing now are killing us on the inside, and when they kick the ball back out for wide open threes. Our guards and wings simply are not quick enough to double down to help a post player and then rotate back to cover shots from the perimeter. We need more size inside, and IMO, Drew is the obvious choice.

Starting Fitz inside with Tiny also pushes Crock back to the wing and improves our perimeter defense. Might as well give it a shot.

What do you think?

Yeah, I've been making the game tempo arguement for a while. That would have to depend on our guards and the coaches making it clear that they can't just play hold and look basketball because it puts no pressure on the defense. Our post have to move their asses and not just be anchored around the paint like they have. That's the one thing I like about Fitz is the he's not just setting one screen and flashing to catch a pass, he'll ball screen, then screen the baseline man, and then sneak around for the open spot.

Starting Fitz inside with Tiny also pushes Crock back to the wing and improves our perimeter defense. Might as well give it a shot.

Exactly. Tony can now be used to try and shut down the other team's best wing instead of having to guard a 4. It also puts our best three rebounders in the starting line-up.

I actually think this team could be potentially much better on both ends with this line-up.

Back