LNC renovations

Not, apparently, in OKC.

Fslt0F8XwAI10WA

IF they ever start losing, you'll see the niche he's talking about.

No one outside of Oklahoma clamoring to watch some damn softball.

IF they ever start losing, you'll see the niche he's talking about.

No one outside of Oklahoma clamoring to watch some damn softball.

TV ratings tell a very different story. Of course interest in OK will wane if/when they hit a down cycle. But I don’t think it suddenly cause ESPN’s ratings to tank.

TV ratings tell a very different story. Of course interest in OK will wane if/when they hit a down cycle. But I don’t think it suddenly cause ESPN’s ratings to tank.

ESPN's ratings won't be that high. Also, what are we comparing the ratings to? We're in a CBB Forum, so lets compare last years WCWS to the Championship game of UNC (since you love bringing them up so much) vs Kansas. UNC/Kansas peaked at 17 million viewers. While OU/Texas peaked at 2.1 million viewers. Hmmmm.

Since OU/Texas is a series let's do Kansas vs Villanova for last year. That peaked at 10 million viewers. In the end, CBB will always trump and dwarf the ratings of a sport like Softball. Which in regards to ratings, is barely top 10 or outside the top 10 depending on what you're looking at. Champions League soccer killed softball too with 48 million viewers. Stanley Cup Finals? 4.87 million. Mens Final at Wimbledon? 7.5 million peak. The Masters? 10.7 million peak. But hey, lets talk softball ratings. Because in the grand scheme, we shouldn't, because they don't garner enough interest.

Last edited:
ESPN's ratings won't be that high. Also, what are we comparing the ratings to? We're in a CBB Forum, so lets compare last years WCWS to the Championship game of UNC (since you love bringing them up so much) vs Kansas. UNC/Kansas peaked at 17 million viewers. While OU/Texas peaked at 2.1 million viewers. Hmmmm.

Since OU/Texas is a series let's do Kansas vs Villanova for last year. That peaked at 10 million viewers. In the end, CBB will always trump and dwarf the ratings of a sport like Softball. Which in regards to ratings, is barely top 10 or outside the top 10 depending on what you're looking at. Champions League soccer killed softball too with 48 million viewers. Stanley Cup Finals? 4.87 million. Mens Final at Wimbledon? 7.5 million peak. The Masters? 10.7 million peak. But hey, lets talk softball ratings. Because in the grand scheme, we shouldn't, because they don't garner enough interest.

The final game of last year’s championship series was the highest rated college baseball or softball game of 2022. So I guess by your definition, every college sport other than football and basketball are niche sports since they aren’t as highly rated as the premier events of pro leagues.

As for your comparison with college basketball, has anyone suggested softball is the more popular sport?

https://deadline.com/2021/06/champions-league-final-2021-ratings-cbs-paramount-plus-1234768023/#!

The above link is from 2021 and I don’t disagree with your overall point that college softball is a niche sport but there is absolutely no way the 2022 UCL final drew 48mm viewers in the US.

Last edited:
If the outfield seats had been available on Friday night, as they will be for the WCWS, the attendance would likely have exceeded the highest attendance OU basketball saw this season--including the OU-texas game at LNC. Could they draw that well game in and game out if they played all their games at Hall of Fame Stadium? Probably not, but I've no doubt that this season's numbers would have equaled basketball's if they had played them all at HOF.

And comparing the TV numbers for any college sport besides football and basketball with the numbers for pro sports isn't even apples and oranges--it's apples and RVs. My only point in ever bringing this up is that some here insist on downplaying, if not outright dismissing, softball's popularity -- specifically OU softball.

The ONLY reasonable TV comparison is between college softball and college baseball, and softball won that head-to-head last season. Some will now rush to label college baseball a niche sport (something I've not seen anyone do previously) in an effort to further discount softball. I cannot imagine any Sooner fan going out of their way to downplay or dismiss the historic success of Patty Gasso's program, but some seem intent upon doing so.

If the outfield seats had been available on Friday night, as they will be for the WCWS, the attendance would likely have exceeded the highest attendance OU basketball saw this season.

OU arkansas was almost 18k (17,839) so try again ..

If the outfield seats had been available on Friday night, as they will be for the WCWS, the attendance would likely have exceeded the highest attendance OU basketball saw this season--including the OU-texas game at LNC. Could they draw that well game in and game out if they played all their games at Hall of Fame Stadium? Probably not, but I've no doubt that this season's numbers would have equaled basketball's if they had played them all at HOF.

And comparing the TV numbers for any college sport besides football and basketball with the numbers for pro sports isn't even apples and oranges--it's apples and RVs. My only point in ever bringing this up is that some here insist on downplaying, if not outright dismissing, softball's popularity -- specifically OU softball.

The ONLY reasonable TV comparison is between college softball and college baseball, and softball won that head-to-head last season. Some will now rush to label college baseball a niche sport (something I've not seen anyone do previously) in an effort to further discount softball. I cannot imagine any Sooner fan going out of their way to downplay or dismiss the historic success of Patty Gasso's program, but some seem intent upon doing so.

To be fair, I picked the unpopular Pro sports and they still trump Softball. Why would anyone compare College Softball to College Baseball? It's like comparing dog crap to cat crap. In the end, it's still crap in regards to ratings. No one trying to watch that crap. My wife till this day still makes fun of me when I turn on softball.

. My only point in ever bringing this up is that some here insist on downplaying, if not outright dismissing, softball's popularity -- specifically OU softball.

I cannot imagine any Sooner fan going out of their way to downplay or dismiss the historic success of Patty Gasso's program, but some seem intent upon doing so.

for the record i very much enjoy watching OU softball .. and i don't think i have "downplayed" the success of the softball program under gasso ..

but i also deal in reality .. the new stadium for instance had 900 total donors .. that is it ..

How many total donors does the new basketball facility have?

To be fair, I picked the unpopular Pro sports and they still trump Softball. Why would anyone compare College Softball to College Baseball? It's like comparing dog crap to cat crap. In the end, it's still crap in regards to ratings. No one trying to watch that crap. My wife till this day still makes fun of me when I turn on softball.

What did she say when you watched the Heels this season?

Your wife makes fun of you and you feel bad about watching softball? Are you a man or not?

Your wife makes fun of you and you feel bad about watching softball? Are you a man or not?

She makes fun of me for watching softball. SOFTBALL. We pick on each other to be fair, it's what makes a relationship fun. But hey, do you man. Softball still sucks.

Did the 900 donors include Sooner club members donations to projects?

Back