Looks like J'Covan Brown may have finally made it.

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Better late than never. The question is who is smarter: Brown or P.J. Tucker?

Source Link

Port Arthur Guard Brown
To Join UT
Updated: Monday, 01 Jun 2009, 5:32 PM CDT
Published : Monday, 01 Jun 2009, 5:32 PM CDT

MARK BERMAN
HOUSTON - Former Port Arthur Memorial High School guard J'Covan Brown will begin classes at the University of Texas June 9 according to his father.

Johnny Ray Brown told FOX 26 Sports Monday his son, a highly sought after basketball player, is academically eligible and is ready to play for the Longhorns beginning with the 2009-2010 season.

"I am so proud of my son," the elder Brown said. "Most kids would have said forget about it and turned their backs on it.

"J'Covan worked hard this whole year getting his grades."

J'Covan Brown signed with Texas in 2008, but was not academically eligible to enroll at UT.

"His GPA wasn't high enough," Johnny Ray Brown said. "So he got his GPA where it needs to be. He starts summer school on the ninth."

The elder Brown said his son is still waiting on his final clearance from the NCAA, but he called it a "formality."

"He is waiting for the clearance from the NCAA," the elder Brown said. "You have to pass through the NCAA Clearinghouse.

"It's a formality."

During his senior season at Port Arthur Memorial Brown averaged 29.9 points a game. The year before Brown averaged 27 points a game.

"I just want him to fulfill his dream," said Johnny Ray Brown.

Brown, 6-2 and 180 pounds, will get his chance to do just that.

The elder Brown said his son had been considering a number of schools including Florida, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St.,

Bet it's a bit of a drag to average 29.9 points.

He hasn't made it thru the Clearinghouse and there's some question when/if he will. You'll notice that his father is the source for all of this information and his father is known to be a bit of a blowhard and isn't the most reliable source.

Someone will have to transfer out for him to make it in.

He hasn't made it thru the Clearinghouse and there's some question when/if he will. You'll notice that his father is the source for all of this information and his father is known to be a bit of a blowhard and isn't the most reliable source.

Yeah, I did some research on the Texas site and they seem to think the same thing....

Yeah, I did some research on the Texas site and they seem to think the same thing....

Rumor was his father tried to negotiate for a position at OSU. I think their is some proof to that because in an interview he went to visit OSU with OSU as the leader, but left the trip without an offer.

Please forgive me, but how do you get your high school GPA up after you finish high school or your senior year?

I think if you don't have a good high school GPA after completing the 9th through the 12th you gotta move on.

Please forgive me, but how do you get your high school GPA up after you finish high school or your senior year?

I think if you don't have a good high school GPA after completing the 9th through the 12th you gotta move on.

I think they do it by taking classes over in summer school in an effort to improve their GPA or grades in the core classes. Danielle Gant at Texas A&M didn't qualify until after summer school following her senior year. 'Moose' did the same thing, I believe.

It doesnt add up to me either. Why would he not go to prep school and get his core up? Why wait until this summer to go to summer school. I wouldn't be suprised if UT doesn't take him. This may be his way of trying to force UT to honor its scholarship.

Back