Matt Freeman timetable

usedtobe1

Administrator
Reaction score
LK thinks he (Matt Freeman) is a very good player! He will redshirt this spring. He is coming back with the team from Hawaii.

I guess Freeman is still planning to join the team next week in Hawaii? Can he begin practicing with them before the 2nd semester begins on January 19th? Maybe he can begin practicing if he is just enrolled in school. Does OU pay for his travel back with the team? He probably just booked the same flights. The poor kid has a 10 hour flight from New Zealand to Hawaii plus getting from Hawaii to Norman ..... talk about jet lag.

I'm not sure how all that works within NCAA guidelines. Does anyone know?

I just found this info:

All Student-Athletes must:
• Attend an orientation session with the Compliance Staff;
• Receive a copy of the Student-Athlete Handbook, including the NCAA Rules Summary and a list of banned
substances;
• Sign a copy of the NCAA Student-Athlete Statement, NCAA Drug-Testing Consent Form; and Eligibility Questionnaire;
• Meet the NCAA Progress-Toward Degree requirements (upperclassmen);
• Be certified by the NCAA Clearinghouse (freshmen only);
• Be registered for 12 credit hours;
• Pass a minimum of 6 credit hours during the previous semester of full-time enrollment.

You also must be enrolled in 12 credit hours to be eligible for practice. The NCAA allows you to practice for five days at the beginning of the semester without being enrolled. Beginning with the sixth day, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours to be eligible for practice.

I think Freeman coming in at the semester is a huge advantage for OU. He will be a lot further along than a typical freshman.

Maybe Steven Adams with the Thunder will take him under his wing.

Maybe Steven Adams with the Thunder will take him under his wing.

Has already happened. He will be a big part of Matt's time at Oklahoma, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has already happened. He will be a big part of Matt's time at Oklahoma, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow really? I didn't know there was a connection there. I musta been living under a rock. What's the story there?

Adams and Freeman are both from New Zealand, and just happened to be on the same flight together as Matt and his parents.....a 20 hour flight. They had plenty of time to talk and get to know each other, and talk about adapting to life in Oklahoma and the USA.

That's how I remember it.

Adams and Freeman are both from New Zealand, and just happened to be on the same flight together as Matt and his parents.....a 20 hour flight. They had plenty of time to talk and get to know each other, and talk about adapting to life in Oklahoma and the USA.

That's how I remember it.

Well talk about destiny haha. Imagine that. Just happen to be on the same flight. Crazy stuff. That's great! Thanks usetobe

So Freeman is on scholarship this season? Is he considered a class of 2015 recruit then? Does he have to redshirt the 2nd semester this season or when is he eligible to play?

So Freeman is on scholarship this season? Is he considered a class of 2015 recruit then? Does he have to redshirt the 2nd semester this season or when is he eligible to play?

he could play if they wanted him to .. he is on scholarship .. but he will redshirt and then have 4 years to play 4 starting next fall

Graduating early. Coming in at semester. Will redshirt and have 4 years to play.

This is my understanding: Freeman is a 2016 recruit. He is able to enroll early at OU (Spring 2016 semester) since he has graduated high school in New Zealand. He will not play in games at OU until the 2016-17 season, but he can begin practice with the team once he enrolls at OU.

This seems similar to a 2016 football recruit that graduates from high school or JUCO early so he can go through the 2016 spring semester and spring football practice. Of course the difference here is that the 2015 football season would be over, while the 2015-16 basketball season is still underway.

Now is Freeman eligible to play in January 2016? Good question. Whether yes or no, he won't.

Now is Freeman eligible to play in January 2016? Good question. Whether yes or no, he won't.

He is eligible to play in January, but I agree he won't.

Here's an interesting hypothetical question: If Matt were a one-and-done caliber player, could he declare for the NBA draft after this season? This season will count as his redshirt year on his 5-year playing clock. It would be a sneaky way to bypass the rule that a player can't declare until the year after he graduates from HS.

He is eligible to play in January, but I agree he won't.

Here's an interesting hypothetical question: If Matt were a one-and-done caliber player, could he declare for the NBA draft after this season? This season will count as his redshirt year on his 5-year playing clock. It would be a sneaky way to bypass the rule that a player can't declare until the year after he graduates from HS.

he could have if he didn't enroll at OU .. see dante exum ..

once he enrolls and goes to class .. he can't be eligible until the 2017 draft ..

Coachs have already he said he will red shirt this spring

I knew that. My point is maybe he will be so good, they change their mind. I really don't anticipate that happening but it would be a nice problem to have. That is a new guy join that team that is so good you want to play him but you are concerned about losing a semester of eligibility.

I knew that. My point is maybe he will be so good, they change their mind. I really don't anticipate that happening but it would be a nice problem to have. That is a new guy join that team that is so good you want to play him but you are concerned about losing a semester of eligibility.

It would have to be an elite player to do that. I understand what you are saying but it's not happening. Buford is barely playing and he's been here a year and half

Back