MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

This is a very old team.
If you look at last year's roster and compare it this year's roster, the two two biggest things that stand out as possible positives for this year are:
1. This year's roster is older and more experienced.
2. Shooting should be improved.

I'm not willing to give them anything else at this point. I'm not sold guard defense will be as good, but it might not be a huge drop off. I think guard athleticism went down a small bit.

I think it's in place of Wague. They took the commitment, but nothing is going to be official until Ugonna decides one way or another.
Most likely. Might not matter but neither OU MBB X or IG followed Wague.

If he’s smart he’d run off a player and get another scorer.
I agree.

I've been secretly wish-casting Elvis elsewhere and OU adding a better player. Another scorer. Slide Miles to the 1, get a better 2.

Like Sean Durugordon...who's available still, lol.

I've been secretly wish-casting Elvis elsewhere and OU adding a better player. Another scorer. Slide Miles to the 1, get a better 2.

Like Sean Durugordon...who's available still, lol.
I know what you said yesterday, but I'd be surprised if Miles isn't the starting PG.

It's my understanding that Miles ran the point at HP, and Elvis did NOT run the point at Dayton. Miles should start all season, Elvis will have to perform to keep a starting job. JMO.

Does anybody know why Miles came off the bench the last 5 games or so of the season for HP?

I know what you said yesterday, but I'd be surprised if Miles isn't the starting PG.

It's my understanding that Miles ran the point at HP, and Elvis did NOT run the point at Dayton. Miles should start all season, Elvis will have to perform to keep a starting job. JMO.

Does anybody know why Miles came off the bench the last 5 games or so of the season for HP?
For gambling purposes, I watched some HPU games in March.

1) Miles was a true combo guard. They had a PG named Giffa who primarily handled the ball, initiated offense, etc.

2) Not entirely sure on why he was the sixth man, but I think an injury contributed to it.

Elvis and Miles will have to share the PG duties for it to work, imo.

For gambling purposes, I watched some HPU games in March.

1) Miles was a true combo guard. They had a PG named Giffa who primarily handled the ball, initiated offense, etc.

2) Not entirely sure on why he was the sixth man, but I think an injury contributed to it.

Elvis and Miles will have to share the PG duties for it to work, imo.

Agreed. I see those two sharing the PG duties much like Los/Javian.

Do you think it's possible Wague was a PWO type situation, like Godwin was a couple years ago? @StoopsBros
right now, OU's full. 13 scholarships + 2 walk-ons.

To add Onyenso, or anyone else, someone has to depart from the roster. Best bet is one of the portal commitments because I don't see Moser kicking off any other scholarship kids at this point (closed portal) and I doubt they'd do it to the two walk-ons either (especially his son).

Personally, I'd stop doing the GPA walk-ons. It sucks for those kids but it's a new era. I'd have 15 kids who can play (even if a couple need redshirting like Cole or maybe Atak this year). 2 would be NIL PWOs, obviously. I would still care about academics, because you have to/should, but I think you can find a good balance between maintaining a decent team GPA and having a complete roster.

This was much earlier (not 9 minutes ago...that's when I saw it).

View attachment 1885

I'm guessing it's not a recruiting visit but don't know, obviously.

Carlton GIFs - Find & Share on GIPHY
Flying home to Mali before summer

right now, OU's full. 13 scholarships + 2 walk-ons.

To add Onyenso, or anyone else, someone has to depart from the roster. Best bet is one of the portal commitments because I don't see Moser kicking off any other scholarship kids at this point (closed portal) and I doubt they'd do it to the two walk-ons either (especially his son).

Personally, I'd stop doing the GPA walk-ons. It sucks for those kids but it's a new era. I'd have 15 kids who can play (even if a couple need redshirting like Cole or maybe Atak this year). 2 would be NIL PWOs, obviously. I would still care about academics, because you have to/should, but I think you can find a good balance between maintaining a decent team GPA and having a complete roster.

Just for curiosity sake, wasn't/isn't there an NCAA rule for a minimum GPA to be maintained that factored/factors into the NCAA tournament eligibility qualifications?

Alright, so going to try and sum up a few of the portal via numbers... ( I have a much bigger "Portal Moser Report" coming later today)

-We lost more dead weight in 2022-23.
-Our incoming portalers (las year) outplayed their incoming scores. (45.7 incoming score, 55.6 output)
-Duke Miles is our best portal commitment over the last 2 years.
-Soares is our biggest loss in the last 2 years.
-This portal class rates higher than the last (4 guys rated over 50, where last year only had 1)

Outgoing 2022-23
View attachment 1886

Incoming 2022-23
View attachment 1887

Outgoing 2023-24
View attachment 1888

Incoming 2023-24
View attachment 1890
Its all a crapshoot. Soares came in our worst and left our best. So who knows.. but the one thing i know is it is a joke and mistake to not bring in another 5 with our lack of a 5 the ENTIRE time moser has been here.

Just for curiosity sake, wasn't/isn't there an NCAA rule for a minimum GPA to be maintained that factored/factors into the NCAA tournament eligibility qualifications?
Since when did NCAA rules matter or have any bite…

Seriously there was a rule on GPA and academic progress standards but that was before free unlimited penalty-free transfers and before the NCAA was rendered toothless by the P5 conferences and court decisions.

Haven’t seen any enforcement or news on GPA consequences in a while.

Unless you are a die heart fan or live close to Norman hard to see this group causing much excitement to grow the attendance levels.
Suppose being in the SEC will help for a year or 2 but winning records have to be on the way up.
I live a 1,000 miles away but would be a season ticket holder if I lived in OKC area out os sheer loyalty to OU.

Back