MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

Yet many of the sunshine pumpers have argued that they think the roster/team is, in fact, better than last year's, mainly because of shooting and chemistry.
And at this point, this argument can't be disputed at least not as "fact" but would merely be an opinion. It is fact that at least some of the guys coming in, have played in the NCAA tournament which is more than what we can say about the guys they are replacing. That experience does matter when trying to get there. Last year posters complained about consistency when talking about 3-point shooting for last year's team and a lot of the guys coming in shot at least 35% and a couple were even over 40% for the year and were volume shooters. It seems to me like the offensive plan is similar based on the recruiting of some of these portal guys with driving and kicking being the philosophy. What hopefully changes is being able to finish more at the rim and knocking down more three's when kicked. On paper, even though they weren't high profile guys for the most part, they seem to be they type of players that will be able to play well together with what the group brings to the table. Will they be better than last year? In May, that's the hope by most, even if it turns out to be wrong.

And yet when we bring in a bunch of transfers from low and mid majors, people get super pumped that they will make us better than last year's team and lead us to success in the second best conference in the nation.
Again, you exaggerate. I've yet to see a single post from anyone who is "super pumped" about this portal class. Are some posters opting to view the new additions in a positive light? Sure, but there's a wide chasm between that and "super pumped." And why a little positivity--even if you don't share it--so gets under your skin, I'll never understand. It's ironic that you so often overstate how positive other fans are, when if anyone is over the top on this board, it's you and your "super negativity."

Again, you exaggerate. I've yet to see a single post from anyone who is "super pumped" about this portal class. Are some posters opting to view the new additions in a positive light? Sure, but there's a wide chasm between that and "super pumped." And why a little positivity--even if you don't share it--so gets under your skin, I'll never understand. It's ironic that you so often overstate how positive other fans are, when if anyone is over the top on this board, it's you and your "super negativity."
Programmed Sky "why are you so offended by positive post" in the books by 11:00. Mission accomplished.

It could go either way, but I agree...they most certainly could be better. Chemistry is hard to measure...especially since we haven't seen these guys play together. But if the team chemistry is there...and the sum is greater than the parts...this team could be a better team. They most certainly will be a better shooting team, and that's what cost us several games this past season. I'll reamain optimistic, until they give me a reason not to be. That certainly beats being a negative pr!ck about the whole thing.
They (i.e., the OU program under Moser) has given us three freaking seasons of reasons not to be optimistic, yet some of you continue to think that another shuffling of the deck is sure to be the one to get us on track. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 30+ times a season, shame on the culture wall.

If so, only because our coach is an idiot. I'd take my chances with him over some guys who had almost no offers from high level schools and who aren't nearly as athletic.

Cooper. Who I loved. In full transparency.

Best and only option is Louisiana right now?

What were Forsythe's other options? Luke's? Again, I get it -- all our current guys should be hyped and praised (after all, we shouldn't be negative), but as soon as guys leave, then we can criticize them.

I don't have nearly the time to go back through 408 pages of this thread to pull out specific posts, but people absolutely have made the argument that we have a real chance to be as good, if not better. That we might not be as athletic, but will have better shooting, better chemistry, and that the new guys might be better "basketball players" even if not better athletes.
The argument can certainly be made. We will see if it comes to fruition.

I don't understand this situation at all. Coming out of high school he had offers from KU/UCONN/Bama/Creighton/UCLA/Gonzaga/Illinois/Syracuse/Xavier/Texas (according to rivals) and lots more. What the heck happened in the time since?

They (i.e., the OU program under Moser) has given us three freaking seasons of reasons not to be optimistic, yet some of you continue to think that another shuffling of the deck is sure to be the one to get us on track. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me 30+ times a season, shame on the culture wall.
3 years of mediocracy yes.
But PM has shown that he can turn average/below average portal player into above average big 12 players.

3 years of mediocracy yes.
But PM has shown that he can turn average/below average portal player into above average big 12 players.
Two players, yes, and I absolutely give him his share of the credit for Soares and Moore. But he has also had more than two players who have regressed, and many more who never improved. I don't see player development, as a whole, as a strength for him at OU, which is why I don't have much faith that he will turn a class full of mid major guys into an NCAA tourney team.

And yet when we bring in a bunch of transfers from low and mid majors, people get super pumped that they will make us better than last year's team and lead us to success in the second best conference in the nation.
Wague - Bama (nailed it!) -- I am not happy with it, just being a goof.
And you continue to contribute less than nothing to the board. Point to a single part of my post that isn't accurate. We brought in a bunch of mid and low major guys. Fact. They are ranked significantly lower individually and collectively in every ranking system than the guys who left -- all of whom ended up at P5 schools. Fact. Yet many of the sunshine pumpers have argued that they think the roster/team is, in fact, better than last year's, mainly because of shooting and chemistry.
Last year, all the guys that left went to the following:

UNLV
VCU
North Texas
GW
Wichita St

We brought in players that were better.

This year? Yes, some of the one year players have gone to better programs.

Xavier (no)
Houston (yes)
Kentucky (yes)
Louisiana? (no)

Bringing in better players, remains to be seen. (Miles has a chance to be an easy "yes")
What were Forsythe's other options? Luke's? Again, I get it -- all our current guys should be hyped and praised (after all, we shouldn't be negative), but as soon as guys leave, then we can criticize them.
Weird to cherry pick 2 guys. Plenty of others that had much better offers. (In Portal + recruitment over the years)

Miles - Auburn (Some Wake chatter)
Jones - Butler, Rutgers
Goodine - Cuse, maybe? no real info on his suitors
Elvis - unsure who was in, but contact list is okay. (Michigan, Utah, DePaul, Wazzu, Va Tech, Richmond...)
Wague - lots of fanbases would have taken him according to trilly-discord

Forsythe had 6 P5 offers (per On3)
Northweather was a last minute body, who was useful last year...even if he wasn't solid.
Two players, yes, and I absolutely give him his share of the credit for Soares and Moore. But he has also had more than two players who have regressed, and many more who never improved. I don't see player development, as a whole, as a strength for him at OU, which is why I don't have much faith that he will turn a class full of mid major guys into an NCAA tourney team.

Welp, let's not be subjective and stats?

Of all the players that portalled in to OU for Porter, here are his totals of players who improved from portal-in to last year at OU.

Improved? 8* (7)
Same? 2
Worse? 4

I am using my scoring system and if they are of 3 points difference up or down, they are better or worse. If they are within that 3 point system, they are same.

1716398515772.png

*Keita probably doesn't count...

Forsythe (nova, osu, wake forest, cal..) and Luke (Missouri, wisconsin) both had significantly better options than Louisiana ragin Cajuns. I like cooper but apparently he is not a hot portal commodity at all.

5th year senior vs true soph.

Ill Take my chances.

Once again I wouldnve loved for him to stay.

I don't have nearly the time to go back through 408 pages of this thread to pull out specific posts, but people absolutely have made the argument that we have a real chance to be as good, if not better. That we might not be as athletic, but will have better shooting, better chemistry, and that the new guys might be better "basketball players" even if not better athletes.

Sure, we could potentially be a better shooting team and have better chemistry. Maybe we could even be a better team -- it's not impossible. I don't see anybody on here that is "super pumped" about our roster or expects us to be drastically improved. The tone around here has been very somber since Selection Sunday outside of a few brief moments (i.e. Kadary Richmond), yet you still keep fantasizing that there are people here spreading too much cheer.

Wague - Bama (nailed it!) -- I am not happy with it, just being a goof.

Last year, all the guys that left went to the following:

UNLV
VCU
North Texas
GW
Wichita St

We brought in players that were better.

This year? Yes, some of the one year players have gone to better programs.

Xavier (no)
Houston (yes)
Kentucky (yes)
Louisiana? (no)

Bringing in better players, remains to be seen. (Miles has a chance to be an easy "yes")

Weird to cherry pick 2 guys. Plenty of others that had much better offers. (In Portal + recruitment over the years)

Miles - Auburn (Some Wake chatter)
Jones - Butler, Rutgers
Goodine - Cuse, maybe? no real info on his suitors
Elvis - unsure who was in, but contact list is okay. (Michigan, Utah, DePaul, Wazzu, Va Tech, Richmond...)
Wague - lots of fanbases would have taken him according to trilly-discord

Forsythe had 6 P5 offers (per On3)
Northweather was a last minute body, who was useful last year...even if he wasn't solid.

Welp, let's not be subjective and stats?

Of all the players that portalled in to OU for Porter, here are his totals of players who improved from portal-in to last year at OU.

Improved? 8* (7)
Same? 2
Worse? 4

I am using my scoring system and if they are of 3 points difference up or down, they are better or worse. If they are within that 3 point system, they are same.

View attachment 1903

*Keita probably doesn't count...
I look at the roster as a whole, not just transfers, when I consider player development. It provides a bigger sample size to evaluate, Los and Oweh will always stand as the primary examples. And I realize that they weren't his recruits, but Cortes and Noland also made no meaningful progress between their first and second seasons.

Back