MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

As you can tell they sit in a very good position with Wague.

Do they take his commitment with other targets on the board and only two spots to spare? That is indeed the question.
I believe it would be crazy to take Wague's commitment considering the other prospects on the board... While there aren't many great centers in the portal there are a lot who put up numbers better than him.

I believe it would be crazy to take Wague's commitment considering the other prospects on the board... While there aren't many great centers in the portal there are a lot who put up numbers better than him.
I sincerely wish this was for Yaya's replacement. If he was processed, Wague is a solid addition.

As a backup to Godwin, I think we are going to be disappointed.

IF you can still swing Achor Achor, you do that...100 times out of 100.

JUCO kid, I don't know, a lot remains to be seen. We are still talking what, 5 guys out of 100 (from JUCO) who were difference makers for their team last year. 5% chance to get a needle mover isn't something to start beating your chest about. Especially considering those teams were UAB, South Florida, North Texas, Bowling Green, and WKU. But, since we exhausted most of our options...why not I guess? Suppose we are in that realm anyway.

Wague have 1 or 2 years left? No shot he would start over Godwin in my opinion.

Positives: 2 years left? Rim protector, bring a toughness.
Negatives: No production, not skilled, could be a problem child with some of the stuff I've seen.

We need one of the other two bigs for this portal season to be a win.

Anyone know how long they have after a coaching change to enter the portal, when the normal window is closed?

I’d hate to be a coach having to manage the portal in this age of immediate eligibility, NIL, and practically unlimited transfers. A job within itself.

It’s why each major sport needs their own DPP or GM. Especially basketball.

What’re your thoughts on him?
Honestly, I'm conflicted.

On one hand, Wague isn't very good. He's the type of player who won't improve the team significantly. Foul-prone, very limited upside with only 1 year to play.

Points to a mediocre scouting room (coaches, whoever else).

On the other hand, I'm just ready for the portal season to conclude....so I guess, fucc it, add him and Nwankwo, then we can have a coaching search next offseason.

1715621050449.png

4 Years? Has it really been that long?

Even if it has, that isn't a very long time. Teams are just now getting their NILs collectives together and working out the kinks
No, it hasn't been 4 years...not even 3 years. July 1, 2021 was the official effective date for when college athletes could start signing NIL deals.

Wague’s fouling problems should’ve been enough to not take his commitment. Damn near every time he got double digit minutes he fouled out or was close to it. Not talking about 30 minutes either, usually around 10 minutes. You won’t even be able to play the guy very many minutes ever.

Maybe it’s something that the staff feels could be coached better, but there’s nothing with the staff so far that would make me think that will change.

Nwankwo and Wague filling the last two spots does not move the needle for me at all.
I agree. At this point they’re looking for bodies. They didn’t fill the need of low post scoring, shot blocking and defensive rebounding.

Any chance that Nwankwo & Wague commitments would be CYAs while they still go after one of the draft process guys? Scholarships are less of an issue with NIL involved. Wishful thinking, probably.

How can we go from looking at landing the top player (or guard) in the Portal, and having our name in on other good players, being rumored to have some NIL to work with, to finishing up like this?

It could be how Moser's views a few of the guys and where he wants to play them, but I'd feel a lot more comfortable with a solid 1/2 option. Forsythe is a true freshman. Goodine has had injury issues. I'm not a big fan of sliding guys down (like, from 4 to 3, or 3 to 2). I think it works better going the other direction and going small. We've all assumed, and seen, that we've been chasing another true guard. To give up on that at this point, or to fail, is not a good look and puts a lot of pressure on the guys we have there to perform and stay healthy.

Updated big board

Added - Jeff Nwankwo (300+ KenPom multiplier applied for JUCO)
Removed - Huie
Removed - Kaluma
Leaving Achor Achor/Onyenso for hope

Keep in mind, Wague is inflated a little bit bc of high FG% and efficiency. No way he is as efficient as a scorer as Soares was, especially with a small sample size

1715626553151.png

Back