MBB Transfer Portal Thread: Moser Year 4

I look at the roster as a whole, not just transfers, when I consider player development. It provides a bigger sample size to evaluate, Los and Oweh will always stand as the primary examples. And I realize that they weren't his recruits, but Cortes and Noland also made no meaningful progress between their first and second seasons.
If by adding 5 players it provides a bigger sample size, then okay, I can take a look.

I can go back and see his recruits year-by-year development. It is just hard for me to accept something subjective.

So what do you want me to look at? Just young players, recruited or not by Moser and if they got better the first year to the second?

But would you at least concede, based on the numbers I shared, that the portal numbers may not have been what you thought since the majority of the transfers showed improvement?

Programmed Sky "why are you so offended by positive post" in the books by 11:00. Mission accomplished.
It's beyond ironic that you suggest that I always respond to your negativity, given I do so only occasionally. Life's far too short to respond every time--I'd accomplish very little else (including eating and sleeping) if I were undertake that fool's mission. But now and then you overstate to such an absurd degree in criticizing others for not reaching the impossibly high bar of negativity that you've set that I do chime in. When I do, you respond with the same tired (and demonstrably inaccurate) quip. Instead, why not prove me wrong by sharing with us this assortment of "super pumped" posts you referenced?

If by adding 5 players it provides a bigger sample size, then okay, I can take a look.

I can go back and see his recruits year-by-year development. It is just hard for me to accept something subjective.

So what do you want me to look at? Just young players, recruited or not by Moser and if they got better the first year to the second?

But would you at least concede, based on the numbers I shared, that the portal numbers may not have been what you thought since the majority of the transfers showed improvement?
If you are doing the work .. which won’t help convince your target.. I wonder if Kruger’s post Buddy teams show any difference between the two coaches. I think we’ve had two good teams (by everyone’s measure) since Kelvin left. Blake and Buddy. Probably why Trey’s team was so disappointing.. given their potential for being the third midseason to almost crashing out of the tourney.

I look at the roster as a whole, not just transfers, when I consider player development. It provides a bigger sample size to evaluate, Los and Oweh will always stand as the primary examples. And I realize that they weren't his recruits, but Cortes and Noland also made no meaningful progress between their first and second seasons.

I think Oweh actually improved since he got here. His big problem is he just isn't a great shooter. That isn't completely on PMand staff because it looked like he had improved through December....then fell off a cliff.

You keep harping on whole roster player development and I don't think there have been a lot of guyswho haven't improved. You have a right to your opinion and I'm not trying to argue with you but we have a differing view on the program as a whole because I think, as a team, this was a team that was trending up compared to last year and was successful outside of not making the tournament. You choose to make that your floor to gage the "success" and I thought the tournament was kind of the ceiling this year. I'm not saying you're wrong and I'm right or Vice versa.....just that we look at the same thing from two lenses.

There are definitely things to improve on....I don't think this roster is better on paper or wildly worse. I think they will be different but I like, on paper, the shooting he brought in. I think we may be a little less athletic overall but I think we might have improved our skill set. We'll see.

If you are doing the work .. which won’t help convince your target.. I wonder if Kruger’s post Buddy teams show any difference between the two coaches. I think we’ve had two good teams (by everyone’s measure) since Kelvin left. Blake and Buddy. Probably why Trey’s team was so disappointing.. given their potential for being the third midseason to almost crashing out of the tourney.

There is not a significant difference imo.

Believe it or not, Kruger’s winning percentage post Buddy was slightly worse than Moser’s 1st 3 seasons, also.

Kruger - .541935
Moser - .545455

The biggest difference is that Lon’s teams got the benefit of the doubt with the committee while Moser has not twice.

Believe it or not, Kruger’s winning percentage post Buddy was slightly worse than Moser’s 1st 3 seasons, also.

Kruger - .541935
Moser - .545455

The biggest difference is that Lon’s teams got the benefit of the doubt with the committee while Moser has not twice.
Def agree with the last sentence. Funny .. in a sick way… is LK has the record for getting hammered by 40 in the final four game. 😳😡

Kruger - .541935
Moser - .545455

Moser doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt because he schedules teams that would struggle to win the state championship in some states. It’s absolutely ridiculous that anyone would place much stock on winning percentage comparisons between teams that play vastly different schedules. I mean, there is a reason a lot of 29-2 mid majors know they have to win their league tournament. But I guess we should concede the point that you keep making: Moser is clearly a better coach that Lon, and Lon’s four decade track record is due solely to a guy who played four seasons.

I don't have nearly the time to go back through 408 pages of this thread to pull out specific posts, but people absolutely have made the argument that we have a real chance to be as good, if not better. That we might not be as athletic, but will have better shooting, better chemistry, and that the new guys might be better "basketball players" even if not better athletes.
And yet when we bring in a bunch of transfers from low and mid majors, people get super pumped that they will make us better than last year's team and lead us to success in the second best conference in the nation.
Your own quotes say people get super pumped but you then say people absolutely have made the argument that we have a real chance to be good if not better. Seems like you equate people who see a potential chance to be better as being super pumped. You seem so dedicated to your negativity scheme that anyone who acknowledges that they see some potential in the new recruits automatically qualify as idiots. I call them fans and hopeful individuals.

Moser doesn’t get the benefit of the doubt because he schedules teams that would struggle to win the state championship in some states. It’s absolutely ridiculous that anyone would place much stock on winning percentage comparisons between teams that play vastly different schedules. I mean, there is a reason a lot of 29-2 mid majors know they have to win their league tournament. But I guess we should concede the point that you keep making: Moser is clearly a better coach that Lon, and Lon’s four decade track record is due solely to a guy who played four seasons.

You keep babbling about easy non-conference games as if the conference record this past year wasn't essentially the same as Lon sans Buddy. Again...they all suck.

Our SOS this year was #28 (under PM it has been #14, 10 and 28)

The year after Buddy it was #33 and it hovered in the 13-15 range from 2015 on.

Outside of just bashing PM just for bashing sake I'm trying to figure out what point you're trying to make.

Our SOS has been top 30 basically every year...it isn't like PM dropped the schedule down to #75, etc. So that argument doesn't have a ton of merit but I see you trying to bring it up over and over.

I don't understand this situation at all. Coming out of high school he had offers from KU/UCONN/Bama/Creighton/UCLA/Gonzaga/Illinois/Syracuse/Xavier/Texas (according to rivals) and lots more. What the heck happened in the time since?
Freak athlete that skills haven’t caught up. I received a text when cooper was still
At Ada. He’s a player that can get a coach fired. Has all the tools athletically. But all eye candy!

You can look up all of my posts and you will never see me saying Moser is better than Lon. The only point I’ve ever tried to make is that the program (not the coach) has been losing ground to the Baylors and Texas techs of the world since the Lon days. I was taking up for Lon during that time as well if you recall. Many other programs have stepped up their investments to be national contenders, while Ou has not done the same. The program has issues bigger than the coach, whether it’s Lon or Moser.

Last edited:
Our SOS this year was #28 (under PM it has been #14, 10 and 28)

The year after Buddy it was #33 and it hovered in the 13-15 range from 2015 on.

Outside of just bashing PM just for bashing sake I'm trying to figure out what point you're trying to make.

Our SOS has been top 30 basically every year...it isn't like PM dropped the schedule down to #75, etc. So that argument doesn't have a ton of merit but I see you trying to bring it up over and over.

This.

The overall SOS has been similarly difficult for both coaches. Lon and Sheppard put together better non conf schedules, which clearly helped us with the committee. Per the metrics, Moser’s in conference schedule has been more difficult on average.

If so, only because our coach is an idiot. I'd take my chances with him over some guys who had almost no offers from high level schools and who aren't nearly as athletic.
So PM us an idiot because he doest give major minutes to a kid YOU deem worthy? Even though he is the one at practice, at workouts and around all the kids all the time?

You don't even know the major reasons he doesn't play. It could be lack of effort in practice, or being uncountable or any number of things that you would never see as a fan (I'm not saying those are the reasons, just throwing scenarios.) Heck, I had a kid once who was really talented but didn't play much because he couldn't remember plays....that was a MAJOR problem that most fans would never know was an issue.

My point is just that not playing Cooper, who was athletically gifted, doesn't make PM an idiot. It just makes him a guy who doesn't see things the way YOU do but I think he's more than qualified to know which guys give his team the best chance to win games. Whether they win them all is a different story.

Back