Murcer sisters help Westmoore defeat Santa Fe

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Kristen Murcer knew she needed to steady the ship.

She ended up steering it.

As Class 6A No. 5-ranked Westmoore took down Class 6A No. 4 Edmond Santa Fe 66-62 on Tuesday night, they found themselves without star guard Jessi Murcer in the starting lineup due to an illness.

Her younger sister Kristen ended up taking the reigns early, scoring 8 of Westmoore’s first 12 points, and finishing things off late by making seven clutch free throws to seal the deal.

“We all had the mindset that we all needed to step up with Jessi not at 100 percent,” Kristen Murcer said. “It can’t be just one person so I just wanted to get my teammates involved early.”

Kristen Murcer finished with 15 points, six assists and three steals.

Jessi Murcer, who has more than 1,900 points in her career, missed practice on Monday with an illness, and it’s Westmoore coach Andrea Guizec’s policy that if you miss practice you don’t start.

Off the bench, Jessi Murcer did pour in 25 points and grabbed four rebounds, but she credited her younger sister with holding things down early.

Edmond Santa Fe ran off an 8-2 run after halftime to take a 36-34 midway through the third quarter. The Wolves were led by senior guard RaVon Nero, who finished with 25 points.

But Westmoore ended up holding the potent Edmond Santa Fe attack at bay by continuing to hit free throws, including 12 in the fourth quarter alone and seven of those coming from Kristen Murcer.

“She’s playing awesome and she’s such a go-to point guard for us,” Jessi Murcer said. “I’m definitely proud of her.”

The win moves Westmoore to 16-4 on the season and gives the Jaguars a fifth straight victory. They have won 11 of the last 12.

“It was just a very physical and hard fought game,” Guizec said. “We needed everybody to step up tonight and we got that.”

Jessi Murcer, who has signed to play for OU next year, said she was glad to come away with the win and even more excited to get home to continue to recover from being sick.

“Kudos to my teammates for getting me the ball and helping me knock down shots,” she said. “Now I can go home and sleep.”

Back