My Take on the A&m game

cowboysooner

Reaction score
1) worst officiated game I have seen in years -- not biased necessarily, just a lot of horrible calls and non calls both ways;

2) We absolutely can't play zone and therefore shouldn't.

3) Willie should not have tried to put the game in the hands of the officials on his last shot. Just try and make a shot. If you get fouled so be it. Early in the game, its ok, but late, just be a player and make a play.

4) TMG played a great game, but bailed them out on his last play. He had a lane to the rim and he should have gone strong with hisab left hand to the rim with every intent and purpose of making a shot. They would have had to let him go to the rim or foul him. By fading away from the defenders, he bailed them out and actually kept them from fouling.

5) At the 3 minute mark, we went into the prevent the win offensive pattern. This works ok with seniors that won't make mistakes and will make their free throws. But with a bunch of freshman on the road in a hostile place, just keep playing and forcing the play. TMG and Willie had been and could have continued to get to the rim at will, but just stopped trying.

6) Liked our energy and man defense. As Cade worn down, he couldn't stay in front of Sloan and we had to put TMG on him to stop his dribble penetration. Good move on Turgeon and Sloan to then take TMG into the paint and score over him. Some good chess moves tonight by both coaches. I liked that capel finally had the guys back off of sloan and see if he could hit a jumper, which he did.

7) Tiny has immense talent and if he will work at it, he could really become special. Hopefully, he is coachable.

8) Thought willie played hard tonight and pretty well. This is a good sign. He did make a couple bad decisions, but it is not fair to complain too much about a few decisions when he has the ball in his hands so much and is expected to make something happen every time.

9) And finally, if your foul situation get so bad you have to play zone, then put Ray in at the top of the zone and two bigs low and get some length in there. We nearly let them shoot us out of the gym before we switched back to man. Quit running two guys at someone who catches it and leaving shooters wide open. Even in a zone, you have to apply man principles.

Or nevermind, I could be all wrong. All in all, I thought this was our best road game to date.

In another thread it was mentioned that Ray didn't make the trip.

Back