My thoughts on transfers, coaches, etc

Meh. Everyone on this team is replaceable. We've just got to get good players to replace them

You think there are a lot of good players that haven't already signed an LOI in the early signing period?

If all the rumors that people post are true, there are a lot of reasons to be PO'd at all of the returning players, with possibly the exception of Manek. But if we lost 4 or 5 more players some of you people would die of apoplexy next year.

Last edited:
You think there are a lot of good players that haven't already signed an LOI in the early signing period?

If all the rumors that people post are true, there are a lot of reasons to be PO'd at all of the returning players, with possibly the exception of Manek. But if we lost 4 or 5 more players some of you people would die of apoplexy next year.

If most left because they were not strong enough where it counts, most of us would be okay with that.

Just a thought for those that don’t care much for Polla, he seems to me the guy that schools like Gonzaga have every year. Don’t hear anything about the guy until the tournament then wonder why we don’t have a guy like that...

Meh. Everyone on this team is replaceable. We've just got to get good players to replace them

That's true of every player at every program. But it's easier said than done finding good players. McGusty is one of the most talented players we've had in the past 5 years.

That's true of every player at every program. But it's easier said than done finding good players. McGusty is one of the most talented players we've had in the past 5 years.

That’s not true. Don’t even quote recruit rankings either. Based on everything he’s done so far, he’s not the most talented player we’ve had. I think he is talented, but it hasn’t translated to the court yet. He wasn’t the best player on the team this year, or last year, or the last 5 years.

He wouldn't even started on the final 4 team.. but sure. Best player ever the last 5 years that for some reason didn't increase his minutes this year on a team that went on a free fall.. sure

Forget his rivals ranking

If it makes you feel better/right then yea....lets not look for bigs. You gave me examples of schools and I gave you examples of pkayerz you said they don't have.

Not all those were top 40 guys coming out.

Right. Thanks for summarizing my point. We don't need bigs. :facepalm

I was willing to consider the possibility that I misunderstood your point. There are so many here who think we need big, lumbering, low-post players that clog the lane, it occurred to me that maybe that wasn't what you were saying and I was just lumping you into that group by mistake. If so, I apologize. But I maintain, as I have many times in several different threads here, that we don't need those kinds of players. That's not how basketball is played today.

Want proof? 3 of the 4 Final 4 teams start 4 ball handlers and wings and the big on 1 of those 3 team's is shooting nearly 40% from 3 and is attempting more than 4 3's per game. And on the 4th Final 4 team, each member of the starting lineup is shooting at least 33% from 3 and the worst averages 1 3 per game.

Basketball is played on the perimeter with open lanes for driving and kicking. Teams know that their best shots are either 3's or are uncontested 2's at the rim. To the extent, then, that teams need bigs -- and they do for shot blocking and rebounding -- those bigs need to be athletic, versatile, and have the ability to play on the perimeter. The days of players like Kevin Bookout are in the past.

Just a thought for those that don’t care much for Polla, he seems to me the guy that schools like Gonzaga have every year. Don’t hear anything about the guy until the tournament then wonder why we don’t have a guy like that...

They didn't have that guy this year.

I just hope we don’t give up on him too early Ghost.

Stop!

Right. Thanks for summarizing my point. We don't need bigs. :facepalm

I was willing to consider the possibility that I misunderstood your point. There are so many here who think we need big, lumbering, low-post players that clog the lane, it occurred to me that maybe that wasn't what you were saying and I was just lumping you into that group by mistake. If so, I apologize. But I maintain, as I have many times in several different threads here, that we don't need those kinds of players. That's not how basketball is played today.

Want proof? 3 of the 4 Final 4 teams start 4 ball handlers and wings and the big on 1 of those 3 team's is shooting nearly 40% from 3 and is attempting more than 4 3's per game. And on the 4th Final 4 team, each member of the starting lineup is shooting at least 33% from 3 and the worst averages 1 3 per game.

Basketball is played on the perimeter with open lanes for driving and kicking. Teams know that their best shots are either 3's or are uncontested 2's at the rim. To the extent, then, that teams need bigs -- and they do for shot blocking and rebounding -- those bigs need to be athletic, versatile, and have the ability to play on the perimeter. The days of players like Kevin Bookout are in the past.

Nope...never thought we needed 7 footer types. But you need guys that can compete for boards and dont get bullied because they are too weak. How many times did you see our bigs just simply get the ball taken?

Give me a Ryan Spangler on every team and I'm good. Someone tough, who isn't giving ground and isn't getting bullied.

But as far as recruiting...we should actively look for those active, high motor bigs (6'9"-6'10" that arent 180 lbs) if we can find one or two.

Most talented in 5 years ? That’s banana land he can’t catch and shoot ,doesn’t know how to get him self open etc. if He dominates the ball which he likes to do he doesn’t make others better .. I thought he was marginal at best and lacked explosvness 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

He can definitely score, but is poor everywhere else.

Maybe some of that is coaching and the way this program is run?

I have little doubt he could go somewhere like Houston and be a really good player on a good team.

He could possibly be a good player on a good team , but he looks to be one of those players that looks good on a bad team , bc he can shoot whatever shot and that’s fine

Maybe some of that is coaching and the way this program is run?

I have little doubt he could go somewhere like Houston and be a really good player on a good team.

I think he can be great but doesn't commit to playing hard. Which should be fixed by coaching, or maybe they tried and he didn't by in so he's now leaving.

Back