My thoughts on transfers, coaches, etc

I think he can be great but doesn't commit to playing hard. Which should be fixed by coaching, or maybe they tried and he didn't by in so he's now leaving.

Maybe. But the entire team played poor defense, and didn't seem to play hard at times to me, so I have a hard time putting that all on the players.

I have little doubt he could go somewhere like Houston and be a really good player on a good team.

For pete's sake, please put a cork on the endless Houston references. Sampson got trashed by a good percentage of the fan base while he was here, and now he's the be-all, end-all.

If McGusty gets a clue and decides to work hard, he will indeed be a good player somewhere. If he approaches things like he reportedly did here, he won't.

For pete's sake, please put a cork on the endless Houston references. Sampson got trashed by a good percentage of the fan base while he was here, and now he's the be-all, end-all.

If McGusty gets a clue and decides to work hard, he will indeed be a good player somewhere. If he approaches things like he reportedly did here, he won't.

Stop being ignorant.

He is from the Houston area, and I said he need a structured system, which Kelvin runs as well as anybody.

Stop being ignorant.

He is from the Houston area, and I said he need a structured system, which Kelvin runs as well as anybody.

You did not use the words "structured system" in this thread, nor did you mention that McGusty was from Houston, so to pretend that was the basis for your post is disingenuous at best. We have seen an absurdly high number of posts praising Kelvin (at Coach Kruger's expense) in the past few weeks, and if you think the post I responded to didn't read like just one more of those, you're the one who needs a clue, not me. I'm not a mind reader; I can only go by what you post.

And it's not like Sampson, structured system or no, didn't have guys who didn't work hard or follow the rules and transferred out (of their own accord or otherwise). If McGusty's not willing to work hard and improve his (reportedly) bad attitude, he wouldn't succeed under Sampson either.

You did not use the words "structured system" in this thread, nor did you mention that McGusty was from Houston, so to pretend that was the basis for your post is disingenuous at best. We have seen an absurdly high number of posts praising Kelvin (at Coach Kruger's expense) in the past few weeks, and if you think the post I responded to didn't read like just one more of those, you're the one who needs a clue, not me. I'm not a mind reader; I can only go by what you post.

And it's not like Sampson, structured system or no, didn't have guys who didn't work hard or follow the rules and transferred out (of their own accord or otherwise). If McGusty's not willing to work hard and improve his (reportedly) bad attitude, he wouldn't succeed under Sampson either.

:facepalm

Maybe. But the entire team played poor defense, and didn't seem to play hard at times to me, so I have a hard time putting that all on the players.

1 breakdown from a player makes the whole defense look bad, and McGusty/Young had a ton every game. I think Manek will get better because he tries and seems like a smart player (he's skinny and wasn't made to play defense in HS), I also believe McNeace will get better since he's still learning and improved every year. Odomes is a really good defender, CJ & Doolittle are solid.

1 breakdown from a player makes the whole defense look bad, and McGusty/Young had a ton every game. I think Manek will get better because he tries and seems like a smart player (he's skinny and wasn't made to play defense in HS), I also believe McNeace will get better since he's still learning and improved every year. Odomes is a really good defender, CJ & Doolittle are solid.

Give me a break. I know what good, well taught defense looks like. I agree that Young was terrible, but entire team was bad. You make up for poor individual defense by playing good TEAM defense. This team was bad both individually and as a team. Both outside and inside. It's like they hadn't been taught a thing about defense. VERY disappointing.

Give me a break. I know what good, well taught defense looks like. I agree that Young was terrible, but entire team was bad. You make up for poor individual defense by playing good TEAM defense. This team was bad both individually and as a team. Both outside and inside. It's like they hadn't been taught a thing about defense. VERY disappointing.

Hard to teach good defense to players who don't give effort. You can have 4 guys playing good team defense and allow a bucket because someone didn't do their job. OU had at least 2 poor defenders on the court at all times, with their schedule teams are going to expose those weak spots.

When I was an undergraduate, I doubt you could have found twenty people on campus who could name the starting five. We had no recruiting news, and few attended the games. We were proud when we actually got someone who could dunk the ball. Winning has spoiled us. We expect to do it again.

I have not a clue as to our current situation. I think we have some talent, but it is not comparable to that of the teams in the top ten. McNeace has talent and has become pretty good. He's about as bad as we need on a team in contention. But, he may be our most talented.

I will feel a lot better when we shoot 75% from the free throw line as a team, maybe even 80%. I'd like to see OU players surrounding the rim when the other team shoots---maybe get the rebound. I would like to see sharp, crisp passes. It's little things that I want to see, the type of things that would have made us really good with a point like Young had we been doing them. We kind of have to want to. I'd like to have about seven guys who just hate to lose, and hate it so much that they try to do something every day in practice to make sure we don't.

I don't want to blame anyone for anything. I would rather wait and point with pride. I'd like players who had some.

He wouldn't even started on the final 4 team.. but sure. Best player ever the last 5 years that for some reason didn't increase his minutes this year on a team that went on a free fall.. sure

Most talented in 5 years ? That’s banana land he can’t catch and shoot ,doesn’t know how to get him self open etc. if He dominates the ball which he likes to do he doesn’t make others better .. I thought he was marginal at best and lacked explosvness 🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️🤷🏻*♂️

Goodness gracious. I wish this place had a reading comprehension test required for membership.

Did I say he was the best player ever? No, I said he's one of the most TALENTED over the past 5 years.

Did I say he was the most talented player we've recruited over the past 5 years? No, I said he was ONE of the most talented players over the past 5 years.

Nice job knocking down straw men, though.

Dude didn't put the effort and work in here. Unless this magically lit a fire under his ass, he sure as hell wouldn't succeed under Kelvin. Hell, Kelvin would ship his ass out as well with the effort he gave on the defensive end.

Dude didn't put the effort and work in here. Unless this magically lit a fire under his ass, he sure as hell wouldn't succeed under Kelvin. Hell, Kelvin would ship his ass out as well with the effort he gave on the defensive end.

I don't know what happens in practice. I just know he was very talented, and looked like a star in the making until this year. Perhaps his full potential would never have been realized, but that doesn't mean he wasn't talented.

When you have a guy that's 2-15 pulling up from near half-court with no repercussions, it's a problem. I don't blame anybody for being upset with that.

CJ is not a good defender. One of the worst actually along with TY and mcgusty.

The whole team sucks at defense bc they weren't commanded to play it and Kruger didn't teach it

I don't know what happens in practice. I just know he was very talented, and looked like a star in the making until this year. Perhaps his full potential would never have been realized, but that doesn't mean he wasn't talented.

When you have a guy that's 2-15 pulling up from near half-court with no repercussions, it's a problem. I don't blame anybody for being upset with that.

Mcgusty put those numbers up on a crappy team.. who cares about those numbers..

2-15 maybe with 10 assists and 8 pts from layups and FTs and while the rest of the team was 1-19 from 3 ha

CJ is not a good defender. One of the worst actually along with TY and mcgusty.

The whole team sucks at defense bc they weren't commanded to play it and Kruger didn't teach it

lol ok

When I was an undergraduate, I doubt you could have found twenty people on campus who could name the starting five. We had no recruiting news, and few attended the games. We were proud when we actually got someone who could dunk the ball. Winning has spoiled us. We expect to do it again.

. I'd like to have about seven guys who just hate to lose, and hate it so much that they try to do something every day in practice to make sure we don't.

I don't want to blame anyone for anything. I would rather wait and point with pride. I'd like players who had some.

dang dude...are you like 100 yrs old? LOL..J/K

yup.... need EFFORT

Odomes is not a good defender. He looks like a good defender on this team because in the land of the blind the one-eyed man is king.

Back