NCAA Men's Division I Final Four appearances by coaches

i saw a stat during this years tourney that just amazed me:

Dean Smith 11 Final Four's and 2 NCAA championships. i mean 11 FF's is amazing and i'll take 2 titles any day, but it's just perplexing he only nabbed 2 out of all those chances.

makes me feel a little better about Stoops.

Dean Smith 11 Final Four's and 2 NCAA championships. i mean 11 FF's is amazing and i'll take 2 titles any day, but it's just perplexing he only nabbed 2 out of all those chances.

Interesting. It really hard to win it all in college basketball. It is such a crapshoot with the tournament draws and having to win 6 games in a short period of time.

dean smith did less with more than any coach in the history of college basketball. it took him 20 years to win his first championship even though he brought a myriad of great nba players to chapel hill. he had a team that featured worthy, perkins and jordan and still required a fred brown mental lapse to win the national title.

roy should have one more from 2003. they missed so many free throws in that game. totally got in their heads.

i wonder if he leaves for chapel hill if they win that game.

Also, let's not pretend that the Titles that Roy won are = to the titles that Dean won. The game was radically changed with early entry and HS'ers to the pros.

Also, let's not pretend that the Titles that Roy won are = to the titles that Dean won. The game was radically changed with early entry and HS'ers to the pros.

roy is a better coach then dean but not by much ...

the ku team with JV PP Raef the freak and jerrod hause (sp?) ... should have cut down the nets ..

roy held them back big time

roy should have one more from 2003. they missed so many free throws in that game. totally got in their heads.

so what? Memphis missed a ton of FT's last year too. if they had made them Self/KU would still be considered choke artists.

if Jordan hadnt hit that shot Dean would be down 1 NC...

if Webber hadnt called that awesome timeout Dean would be down another NC...

if Eric Montross hadnt had a sweet haircut maybe he wouldnt have been aerodynamic enough to dominate the paint like he did...

i think as Big Time said, it's pretty damn hard to win it all. not only do you need exceptional athletes and exceptional coaching/scheming...you need luck too.

i think as Big Time said, it's pretty damn hard to win it all. not only do you need exceptional athletes and exceptional coaching/scheming...you need luck too.

not really.

I agree that the game has changed but I am not sure what that has to do with the equality of the championship wins. How is it any easier or harder to win now. School X may lose some of its best players to the NBA early but doesn't school Y also lose some of its best players to the NBA too?

I agree that the game has changed but I am not sure what that has to do with the equality of the championship wins. How is it any easier or harder to win now. School X may lose some of its best players to the NBA early but doesn't school Y also lose some of its best players to the NBA too?

The rich have gotten richer in the new world, imo. The whole product is getting watered down. That's why you're seeing a higher % of the top seeds moving further in the tourney.

Think about it this way, in the old days these players would still be playing this year. Rose, Beasley, Westbrook, Love, Mayo, Gordon, Bayless, Arthur, Chalmers, Hickson, etc. Not to mention some of the guys from the '07 draft. 15 years ago it was pretty rare for a soph to leave early.

Do you think that might have changed things this year? I do.

Back