NCAA Tournament - Friday Game Thread

The last five minutes of the Drake game was painful for any Bulldog fans. Reminded me of far too many of our games the last couple seasons, they were in complete control … until they weren’t.

TCU comes back to win against a fairly athletic ASU team but not a very good ASU team. TCU not great but Miles is very good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job by the Frogs. Would have been disappointed if we only got four teams into the next round but having half the league in the round of 32 is very impressive.

Meanwhile, those of us who may have had some money on Memphis to make the Sweet 16 got an unwelcome reminder of Penny’s in-game coaching skills. Some terrible decisions, and then allowed his team to implode emotionally late. Blowing that game with only FDU standing in your way for a Sweet 16 is brutal.

I'm not sure we'll ever seen an upset like that. FDU didn't even win their conference and has an average height of 6'3. Honestly that game reminded me of a lot of the OU team that lost to Manhattan that one year. Just played uptight all game and couldn't hit a shot they needed.

I think UMBC was bigger. Purdue was considered vulnerable for an early exit. Certainly not this early, but I think an 8 seed like Arkansas could win a 7 game series against Purdue.

I think UMBC was bigger. Purdue was considered vulnerable for an early exit. Certainly not this early, but I think an 8 seed like Arkansas could win a 7 game series against Purdue.

I think you're correct too. Plus i think Virginia was the highest 1 seed too.

How much of Purdue's loss is on Painter? There have to be at least 50 D1 coaches who could have done a better job with the players he had this year.

How much of Purdue's loss is on Painter? There have to be at least 50 D1 coaches who could have done a better job with the players he had this year.

I think up until last night, he'd done one of the best coaching jobs in the country. Last night was a disaster, but he's usually done pretty well in the first game or two, but fizzles out in the Sweet 16. If your goal is to go to the Sweet 16 3-4 times a decade, he's one of the best there is. Not so much if you're looking for Final 4s or championships.

I think you're correct too. Plus i think Virginia was the highest 1 seed too.

Last night was bigger because FDU is WAY worse than UMBC was. Almost 200 spots lower in the NET. FDU is one of the absolute worst teams in the country. UMBC had a NET in the low 100s, so they were the equivalent of a bad team in a P5 league.

Last night was bigger because FDU is WAY worse than UMBC was. Almost 200 spots lower in the NET. FDU is one of the absolute worst teams in the country. UMBC had a NET in the low 100s, so they were the equivalent of a bad team in a P5 league.

Wow that's s good point. But for me, Purdue wasn't your normal 1 seed. Everyone thought they were susceptible. Not to a 16, but still. So i still think that umbc, altho the better team, was still bigger overall. Purdue was the worse loss imo. The 7'4 guy should have had 40 points

Wow that's s good point. But for me, Purdue wasn't your normal 1 seed. Everyone thought they were susceptible. Not to a 16, but still. So i still think that umbc, altho the better team, was still bigger overall. Purdue was the worse loss imo. The 7'4 guy should have had 40 points

Definitely agree on the last point. You could tell the Purdue guards had zero confidence and didn’t want to shoot, so the defense could just surround Edey and not worry about anyone hitting from the outside.

I still can’t believe the way Memphis melted down. Not saying Florida Atlantic is awful, but Penny made some horrible decisions. When their second best player got his third foul with 17+ minutes left, Penny either didn’t realize it or was slow to get a sub to the table, and sure enough, dude picked up his fourth foul two possessions later.

I think up until last night, he'd done one of the best coaching jobs in the country. Last night was a disaster, but he's usually done pretty well in the first game or two, but fizzles out in the Sweet 16. If your goal is to go to the Sweet 16 3-4 times a decade, he's one of the best there is. Not so much if you're looking for Final 4s or championships.

I think he does a good job. But I saw a stat last night that they are the 1st program to lose 3 straight games to 13 or lower seeds.

Back