Nebraska beat a good Tulsa team to move to 9-2

thebigabd

Reaction score
74-70

Doc Sadler is doing a great job this year with his young team. He has 3 new starters and a few more new contributors on the bench.. They still dont have their best player eligible until January 13th and they lost a promising young player (Toney Mccray) for the season due to an elbow injury.

Wow. Not a good loss for Tulsa if they want to try to get in as an at large.

Just shows what a defensive coach can accomplish. Tulsa has more talent but Sadler coaches his kids up. It seems to me that I remember a couple of past coaches in this state that did the same thing.

Just shows what a defensive coach can accomplish. Tulsa has more talent but Sadler coaches his kids up. It seems to me that I remember a couple of past coaches in this state that did the same thing.

Nebraska has held 7 of its 11 opponents under 55 points (6 of them under 50) with a brand new roster and minus their best player and possible starting center out of Germany.

You gotta be impressed with that.

Nebraska has held 7 of its 11 opponents under 55 points (6 of them under 50) with a brand new roster and minus their best player and possible starting center out of Germany.

You gotta be impressed with that.

You would have to put Doc Sadler in the up and coming group. The man can coach. Nebraska is basketball wasteland but he seems to be improving every year.

“We got beat at our own game today,” Wojcik said. “We did not guard and we did not rebound. They played with a lot more energy and forced us to change defenses for a hope and a chance to win the game.

“They beat us at our own game — that’s guarding man-to-man and rebounding the basketball.”

Tough loss for TU, and a really solid win for Nebraska. Is the Big 12 tough this year or what!

Tough loss for TU, and a really solid win for Nebraska. Is the Big 12 tough this year or what!

It is tough. There are two elite teams And 4 or 5 that are a tossup. The last in the division are not terrible.

It is tough. There are two elite teams And 4 or 5 that are a tossup. The last in the division are not terrible.

No doubt about it. Anytime you have this year's Nebraska and Colorado (and possibly Oklahoma) as the bottom of your league, then you know that you are really strong. The huskers and buffs are both solid teams.

Abd was right this year as there really aren't any terrible teams in our league. Now he says that every year, but this year he is right...:ez-laugh:

Last edited:
The huskers and buffs are both solid teams.

I am really interested in Nebraska this year... I had them last in the conference, but made several disclaimers that it was based on so many new guys that werent highly rated. It was impossible (pre-season) to put them anywhere else but last at the time.

They have wins at USC, Tulsa, Oregon State, and have a chance to get another good win against BYU tonight to win the Las Vegas tournament.

They could be much more solid than people think, because they aren't bad right now and they don't have their best player. Christian Standhardinger (6'8'' 220) was able to play in their two exhibition games this year and averaged 18 points and 7 rebounds per game in only 19 minutes a contest. He is a foreign guy from Germany and Doc seemed really excited about him. He should make them significantly better right off the bat. I also like freshman center Jorge Diaz out of Puerto Rico.. He is 6'11'', skilled, can block shots, and looks like he is going to be a very good player for them.

I am really interested in Nebraska this year... I had them last in the conference, but made several disclaimers that it was based on so many new guys that werent highly rated. It was impossible (pre-season) to put them anywhere else but last at the time.

They have wins at USC, Tulsa, Oregon State, and have a chance to get another good win against BYU tonight to win the Las Vegas tournament.

They could be much more solid than people think, because they aren't bad right now and they don't have their best player. Christian Standhardinger (6'8'' 220) was able to play in their two exhibition games this year and averaged 18 points and 7 rebounds per game in only 19 minutes a contest. He is a foreign guy from Germany and Doc seemed really excited about him. He should make them significantly better right off the bat. I also like freshman center Jorge Diaz out of Puerto Rico.. He is 6'11'', skilled, can block shots, and looks like he is going to be a very good player for them.

I can't help but pull for them because of Doc. Hopefully they can finish ahead of Mizzou and Colorado in the north because I think KU, KSU, and ISU are too good.

Nebraska lost big to BYU. They're likely going to be 12-3 heading into conference play. Last year they were 10-3.

They are a pretty good defensive team, but not as good as their #1 national ranking in scoring defense would lead you to believe. That is largely a factor of their offense. They slow the game down as much as possible offensively, which takes possessions/scoring opportunities away from their opponents. That helps keep the score down. In all other defensive categories they are middle of the Big 12 or slightly better. Still not bad, but not that great, either.

Sadler's one of the best I've seen at getting his team to play his style of ball. Other than Bill Self, I think he has the best record against Mizzou since Anderson got here, which is pretty sad considering they've been a Big 12 bottom feeder for most of that time. Nebraska just does such a good job of slowing things down, keeping it as close as possible, and then executing at the end. But if you can speed the game up a little bit and force them to actually score with you, they're going to lose more often than not.

It'll be interesting to see where Sadler's career takes him. I can't see any coach wanting to stay at Nebraska any longer than they need to, but I don't know if he can actually draw enough talent there to put an attractive overall product on the floor, which he'll have to do to get a better job offer.

Nebraska lost big to BYU.

BYU (12-1) came out and hit 15 of their first 17 shots against a good defensive team, lol. BYU opened it up with a 16-2 run, and then Nebraska went on an 18-1 run to make it kind of respectable at half... Weird game, but BYU ended up blowing them out.

BYU always seems to be good. I can't recall the last time BYU sucked.

I know BYU is good. Nebraska's better than last year, too. But I'll believe they're actually GOOD when I see them beat a few teams in conference play. I still think they're in the bottom two teams in the Big 12.

In the short time since this thread was started Tulsa and Nebraska lost to BYU and Nevada.

I think both Tulsa and Nebraska play hard defense but neither has many weapons offensively. Nebraska hasn't been quite as miserable to this point as most of us thought they would, but they should still go 1-15 or so once they hit Big 12 play.

This is Tulsa's year. They are not that explosive on the offensive end, but they are solid and play good D, plus Memphis is a little down. Hopefully they will make the tourney.

Back