Need some help from the board

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
With all the new faces onboard coming over from OUInsider and other Sooner sites, I thought I would take a moment to request everybody's help with a matter that is near and dear to my heart: OU basketball attendance.

A little background, I founded a student group three years ago called the Capelables that is now under the command of a couple of loyal OUHoops.com posters. The group's goal was/is to try and change the culture on campus regarding OU basketball. While we still have a ways to go, I feel like we have made some waves, and last year's freshmen class, appeared more basketball friendly then in recent memory. We are still working hard, and its not just to try and get students to the game. We use blogs, social network sites, The Sports Animal, word of mouth to try get folks to the hoops games. I thought last year's attendance was really something to be celebrated. Our lowest conference butts in the seats attendance was over 9,600 (against Nebraska on a Wednesday night).

Why do I tell you all this? Because we need your help. A week from Saturday is a great opportunity to get some of our fanbase that doesn't normally experience OU basketball to come partake in the LNC and watching WWIII and the crew put on a show.

As you may or may not know, a week from Saturday will be a double header of the top two revenue earning sports on campus. The hoops team will tip off at 1, and then the monster that is OU football will kick off at 6. That gives you a great opportunity to encourage, drag, bribe, trick, or simply ask nicely some Sooner fans to come to the basketball game. There is no reason that we can't have a great nonconference crowd on Saturday.

Do your part and lets give this team some much deserved fan support:

- Try to get the tailgates planned around the hoops game
- If you can't make it to the hoops game, PM me, and let me give your tickets away (non student or student). I appreciate the folks that did this for the exhibition game. I will try my hardest to make sure the seats get taken up by really loud Sooner fans.
- Go to other messageboards and talk up this team. While OUHoops.com is great for many reasons, it isn't the place to be winning over new fans. Most likely, if you are here, you already go to the games. If you live too far away to attend, you probably already encourage family, friends, and other Sooner fans to come to the games. In other words, we are all preaching to the choir over here!
- Talk Sooner hoops with KREF or the Sports Animal. Al and James Hale both really enjoy talking hoops. Mark Rodgers is also more than willing. You would be surprised how much free advertising the program gets from those calls.

Let's shoot for 9K plus (butts in seats) a week from Saturday. It shouldn't matter that we are playing a team that we should handle fairly easily. There aren't as many home games this year, so folks should want to come see three McDonalds AA play, and a freshman class that is right up there on paper as the best in school history.

Just to give you a heads up, we will be setting up a secure pay pal account through either OUHoops or Ada here in the next week or so. With any donations that we receive, the Capelables are going to get some pretty cool stuff to spice up the student section. Some early ideas are 4X4 heads of Capel, Wayman, and Blake to hold up when the other team is shooting FTs, a couple of durable signs including a WWIII in camo, Beau Gerber's mug on a cut out Gerber baby food "Jar" (cardboard), and a couple of other ideas.

We are hoping for a good response from those that have noticed a difference in the student section over the past couple of years. I am proud to say that the Capelables are in good hands with a couple of sophomores that love OU basketball almost as much as me :vitale

Boomer Sooner and let's fill up the LNC early and often this year!

-BT

With all the new faces onboard coming over from OUInsider and other Sooner sites, I thought I would take a moment to request everybody's help with a matter that is near and dear to my heart: OU basketball attendance.

A little background, I founded a student group three years ago called the Capelables that is now under the command of a couple of loyal OUHoops.com posters. The group's goal was/is to try and change the culture on campus regarding OU basketball. While we still have a ways to go, I feel like we have made some waves, and last year's freshmen class, appeared more basketball friendly then in recent memory. We are still working hard, and its not just to try and get students to the game. We use blogs, social network sites, The Sports Animal, word of mouth to try get folks to the hoops games. I thought last year's attendance was really something to be celebrated. Our lowest conference butts in the seats attendance was over 9,600 (against Nebraska on a Wednesday night).

Why do I tell you all this? Because we need your help. A week from Saturday is a great opportunity to get some of our fanbase that doesn't normally experience OU basketball to come partake in the LNC and watching WWIII and the crew put on a show.

As you may or may not know, a week from Saturday will be a double header of the top two revenue earning sports on campus. The hoops team will tip off at 1, and then the monster that is OU football will kick off at 6. That gives you a great opportunity to encourage, drag, bribe, trick, or simply ask nicely some Sooner fans to come to the basketball game. There is no reason that we can't have a great nonconference crowd on Saturday.

Do your part and lets give this team some much deserved fan support:

- Try to get the tailgates planned around the hoops game
- If you can't make it to the hoops game, PM me, and let me give your tickets away (non student or student). I appreciate the folks that did this for the exhibition game. I will try my hardest to make sure the seats get taken up by really loud Sooner fans.
- Go to other messageboards and talk up this team. While OUHoops.com is great for many reasons, it isn't the place to be winning over new fans. Most likely, if you are here, you already go to the games. If you live too far away to attend, you probably already encourage family, friends, and other Sooner fans to come to the games. In other words, we are all preaching to the choir over here!
- Talk Sooner hoops with KREF or the Sports Animal. Al and James Hale both really enjoy talking hoops. Mark Rodgers is also more than willing. You would be surprised how much free advertising the program gets from those calls.

Let's shoot for 9K plus (butts in seats) a week from Saturday. It shouldn't matter that we are playing a team that we should handle fairly easily. There aren't as many home games this year, so folks should want to come see three McDonalds AA play, and a freshman class that is right up there on paper as the best in school history.

Just to give you a heads up, we will be setting up a secure pay pal account through either OUHoops or Ada here in the next week or so. With any donations that we receive, the Capelables are going to get some pretty cool stuff to spice up the student section. Some early ideas are 4X4 heads of Capel, Wayman, and Blake to hold up when the other team is shooting FTs, a couple of durable signs including a WWIII in camo, Beau Gerber's mug on a cut out Gerber baby food "Jar" (cardboard), and a couple of other ideas.

We are hoping for a good response from those that have noticed a difference in the student section over the past couple of years. I am proud to say that the Capelables are in good hands with a couple of sophomores that love OU basketball almost as much as me :vitale

Boomer Sooner and let's fill up the LNC early and often this year!

-BT

If you are the type that HATES to pay for parking, you can come to the LNC for the basketball game at about 12:30. The game will be over around 3:00. You can leave LNC at your leisure and pay $2.00 to ride the shuttle bus to the football game. What a deal! :chestram2:

If you are the type that HATES to pay for parking, you can come to the LNC for the basketball game at about 12:30. The game will be over around 3:00. You can leave LNC at your leisure and pay $2.00 to ride the shuttle bus to the football game. What a deal! :chestram2:

See, that's what I am talking about. That is the kind of stuff we need to pitch to the casual fan. :clap

Love the name "Capelables" and love what you are trying to accomplish. I am a recent grad, and my dad and I go to every game and have for 13 years now. Atmosphere comes with the attendance, and the attendance comes with the older folks and alumni filling the arena. These new recruits and future recruits thrive on a great atmosphere, and if we could accomplish having a consistent great crowd, it would take a load off capels back in my opinion for recruiting.

Love the name "Capelables" and love what you are trying to accomplish. I am a recent grad, and my dad and I go to every game and have for 13 years now. Atmosphere comes with the attendance, and the attendance comes with the older folks and alumni filling the arena. These new recruits and future recruits thrive on a great atmosphere, and if we could accomplish having a consistent great crowd, it would take a load off capels back in my opinion for recruiting.

Oh without a doubt. If we can just continue to build on last year, then I think we will be fine. I was proud of our students and how they responded last season. It was a good start yesterday for them imo.

BTW,

If anyone is interested, the Capelables are planning a little tailgate of our own next Saturday before noon. We wouldn't mind making it an OUHoops.com/Capelables event if enough folks are interested. Its always fun to meet fellow ou hoops fans.

Student turnout last night was pretty impressive for such an insignificant game. I have good feelings about this season and will continue to fill my seats and make sure everyone I know has a clue when the games are. We will get that place filled!

It is sad that this is so necessary, but it is. Don't just think someone else will do the leg work. Really get out there and talk to co-workers, family members, strangers in the grocery store line.

I remember going to the games the first few years of Sampson's era. Now it wasn't overnight camping, but we used to get there three or four hours before tip-off to insure we were at the bottom of the student section. The atmosphere was great.

I remember one game where one fan really let Marcus Fizer for ISU have it all pre-game. Fizer only had like four or five points that day. It was great.

It is sad that this is so necessary, but it is. Don't just think someone else will do the leg work. Really get out there and talk to co-workers, family members, strangers in the grocery store line.

I remember going to the games the first few years of Sampson's era. Now it wasn't overnight camping, but we used to get there three or four hours before tip-off to insure we were at the bottom of the student section. The atmosphere was great.

I remember one game where one fan really let Marcus Fizer for ISU have it all pre-game. Fizer only had like four or five points that day. It was great.

The good news is that last year during the big games there were long lines out the door 3 hours before tip, so things are getting better.

I agree with you in warning not to assume that others will do the leg work. Its up to you. This board is made up of many of the top OU hoops fans out there.

I just had to decide one day to put my money and time where my mouth was and try and make a difference. It really does feel good to take ownership in this because the victories (like having over 11K butts in the seats against freakin Colorado last year) are really, really sweetIf some folks would just step it up and get the word out with some of the ways that I mentioned, then we could really do work.

The good news is that last year during the big games there were long lines out the door 3 hours before tip, so things are getting better.

I agree with you in warning not to assume that others will do the leg work. Its up to you. This board is made up of many of the top OU hoops fans out there.

I just had to decide one day to put my money and time where my mouth was and try and make a difference. It really does feel good to take ownership in this because the victories (like having over 11K butts in the seats against freakin Colorado last year) are really, really sweetIf some folks would just step it up and get the word out with some of the ways that I mentioned, then we could really do work.

Our attendance was very good at times last year. Though it always seemed to fill in late. Especially around the upper level.

I wish the athletic department would have a random drawing each night and give away one or two $1,000-$3,000 prizes to fans in attendance. It could be based on electronic ticket stubs or just plain ole fill your name in on the slip of paper. This would be nothing to the athletic department, but I bet a lot more people would show up.

Speaking of which, bring back the "Security Shoot for Loot."

Does anyone know what time the shuttle from LNC starts running on gameday?

Someone needs to go post something about going to the game on the Ouinsider Owen Field board. Equate it to them in their vocabulary though.

For example, when talking about the fact that we have three McDonald's All-Americans, let them know that those guys are the equivalent to having U.S. Army All-Americans on the football team.

Also let them know that Sam Bradford will be singing the national anthem, tossing the opening tip and then shaking hands and signing autographs at halftime.

If you sell it to them that way, the place will be packed!

Someone needs to go post something about going to the game on the Ouinsider Owen Field board. Equate it to them in their vocabulary though.

For example, when talking about the fact that we have three McDonald's All-Americans, let them know that those guys are the equivalent to having U.S. Army All-Americans on the football team.

Also let them know that Sam Bradford will be singing the national anthem, tossing the opening tip and then shaking hands and signing autographs at halftime.

If you sell it to them that way, the place will be packed!

:clap :clap

...Beau Gerber's mug on a cut out Gerber baby food "Jar" (cardboard)...

Just noticed this part. It is not that big a deal, but this would make my season.

Does anyone know what time the shuttle from LNC starts running on gameday?

That's a good question. On a semi-related note, the Pride planned their day around the basketball game, so now the pride members can attend! :clap

Back