***New Commitment: 2011 C Richard Peters (6'10" 225)

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
:clap He is a top 60 prospect already from The Sagemont school in Toronto, Ont. Canada. He had offers from UCONN, UL, Miami, and FSU.

637359.jpg

BigTime get for Capel and company!

Props to James Hale and OUI for breaking the story. I got it confirmed from a trusted source of my own, so it is for sure legit.

Just did a quick google search of Peters and it seems there may be question on whether he's a 2011 or 2012 guy. As of now, he's going to be a junior next season. Anyway, like BT posted he has offers from Louisville and UConn (among others), so that's a pretty impressive duo of offers right there.

Here are some of the essentials I was able to find after a quick seach.

ESPN says:

May, 2009: Richard is a big, strong and athletic insider. He has some skill but is mostly raw offensively. He scores mostly off tip in's and drop offs. He is young for his grade and could be reclassified in the future. Richard is an import from Canada that is just beginning to gain a reputation here in the U.S.. Richard's body and athletic ability make him a great prospect. He has solid hands and feet and could turn into a player very quickly. He is a solid rebounder when he is active. His size allows him to rebound without a problem outside of his area. Defensively he is a solid shoblocker. His big body allows him to clog the lane and prevent drives to the basket. Once he improves his skills and gets his motor running more consistently, Peters could become one of the best prospects in the class.

Rivals Profile:

http://louisville.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=92564&sport=2

Scout Profile:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4162280

Also, he's from Toronto but is playing his high school ball now in Florida.

:clap He is a top 60 prospect already from The Sagemont school in Toronto, Ont. Canada. He had offers from UCONN, UL, Miami, and FSU.

637359.jpg

BigTime get for Capel and company!

Props to James Hale and OUI for breaking the story. I got it confirmed from a trusted source of my own, so it is for sure legit.

Awesome! Just the news I wanted to hear!

Congrats to Jeff and his staff!

Great get! Capel and his staff do a phenomenal job of making sure every stone is unturned with a national (and in this case more international) recruiting strategy.

As a side, does UCONN offer everyone in the country over 6'10?

Last edited:
Just noticed he's from Brewster Academy. Was he teammates with Drew last year?

I just wish he was a 2010 guy! Man I a pumped! He sounds like he has some real potential at his size and with his hands and feet. Way to go, Capel!!! :jcapel

6'10'' 225 as a sophomore? Wow, he is a big guy. Impressive offer list as well. He should continue to develop over the next couple of years and come to OU as a big time recruit!

:woot

From a scout Louisville update, he is a lefty! Man we are stockpiling on the lefties. I love it (I am left-handed and so is my man, Nolan Johnson).

Peters, in his second year, averages 10.5 points, 7.5 boards and 2.8 rejections a night. “This is his third or fourth year playing,” Ross said. “I want to say he started in seventh grade. He’s incredibly skilled for a kid his age and his size. He can shoot it but he’s still got some work to do as an athlete. He’s still 15 years old. He’s like a newborn calf trying to get his feet underneath him. He gets up and down the floor and will get up above the rim.”

In addition to the aforementioned offers, Peters has Oklahoma and Florida State dangling scholarships.

“He’s legit 6-10 and he’s a left-handed skilled four man,” Ross said. “He’s got a lot of work to do and he’s got a lot of guys recruiting him hard.”

Sounds like a shot-blocker!

"...when he is active..."?

Looks to me like a good get, but that's one of those descriptions that always worries me.

Tiny is always in the mix of things. Hopefully this cat picks that up from him.

Some stuff from rivals. Rich was a member of the Jordan Classic All-stars this year (sorry abd but your aussie center wasn't invited. He might have been 18 though....) and here is a tidbit from it about Peters:

Stacey Davis
NYCHoops.net

New York, NY - While most New Yorkers arrived later in the evening to see the regional and national game, early on Saturday at Madison Square Garden the Jordan Brand International players competed against each other and many missed a real treat.

The JBC international players were selected as being the top 17 and under players from over twelve countries around the world. From China to Lithuania to Italy, it was amazing to watch these young players run up and down the court and display their skills using signals to communicate with one another, even though there was a language barrier amongst all of them.

At both ends of the court, there were two players that stood out from the pack and held their own as they ran the floor. Both players spoke to NYCHoops.net about their experiences in the New York, and about their American dream, college recruitment.

After a brief warm up 6-foot11 265lb center Richard Peters from Canada stood on the side lines, with his NBA ready body, soaking in his new surroundings. Peters is originally from Canada and currently attends Sagemont in Weston, FL. In a humble polite voice he spoke about his experiences here in New York and colleges that have shown him interest. "We trained on Friday. We went to bowl and I got to meet the National big time players. We all hung out together. There was a lot of team bonding. I am sixteen at the moment. My birth day is in January," said Peters.

Richard Peters from Canada
Peters is already a fan of some of the National players, "Kenny Boynton is close friends with my friends. He is in the same state as me in Florida. I know Avery Bradley because he goes to the school as one of my native Toronto people. So I take a lot of note of him too," said Peters.

Attending college is part of this Canadian's future plans, "I do plan on going to college. I like UConn, Oklahoma, Miami, Louisville, a lot of schools I like. UConn, Oklahoma has sent me a couple of stuff. A lot of schools have sent me stuff," said Peters.

Perhaps he has grown! This article was written in April of this year....

787501.gif

Wow, Capel is starting to create a history of picking up surprising commits.
If he keeps developing with the he has size would it be too optimistic to predict another McDonald's AA?

Wow, Capel is starting to create a history of picking up surprising commits.
If he keeps developing with the he has size would it be too optimistic to predict another McDonald's AA?

He has got a chance. Big men with his size and skill are often times in the running for the burger game.

Would him being Canadian have any bearing on him being a possible MCDAA?

Looks impressive.

With him being so young for his class, I wouldn't be surprised if he had one last growth spurt! That would be sweet if he became a 7 footer.

With him being so young for his class, I wouldn't be surprised if he had one last growth spurt! That would be sweet if he became a 7 footer.

When was the last time OU had a legit 7-footer?

Back