***New Commitment: 2011 C Richard Peters (6'10" 225)

When was the last time OU had a legit 7-footer?

Good question. Not since I have been seriously following OU hoops (since the end of Billy) do I remember one that had any sort of game. Anyone know?

Great interview by James up on OUI. Says that Cline really won him over (God I love that guy haha). He is good friends with Ryan Wright so that helped us too.

According to SoonerStats.com, from 1965-2009 Oleg Retzov was the only player listed over 7 feet (7-2). A bunch of 6-10 guys, a smattering of 6-11 guys, but just the one 7 footer. And he did not contribute significantly.

He will play at Brewster (where Fitz played) next year.

Richard Peters? Poor kid. The jokes write themselves.

This is just another awesome pick up for Coach Capel. It sounds like this kid has mounds of upside and he isn't finished growing yet. It will be very fun to watch this kid grow and develop his game. The kid has definetly done enough to catch someone's eye. The other teams recruiting him are athletic and known for their big men. GREAT JOB COACH CAPEL!!!:clap

hey...i will tell Coach Capel congrats myself...he's sitting here next to me on my plane to chicago!:woot

Wow, Capel is starting to create a history of picking up surprising commits.
I think the fact that he gets "surprising" commits is largely attributable to the lack of OU basketball recruiting coverage by the major sites. :(

hey...i will tell Coach Capel congrats myself...he's sitting here next to me on my plane to chicago!:woot
Ask him if SoonerNorm is his favorite poster. I know the answer but I'm tired of the wannabes stealing my glory.

For all you OUInsider premium subscribers, Hale has a really nice interview with Peters over on his website.

He apparently played in the Jordan All-Star International game. Found a photo but no info on how he did in the game.

IntGame9.JPG

Last edited:
I love Jeff Capel. The guy can flat out recruit. This kid sounds like a great recruit, 6'10'' and growing, and he is not rail thin. I hope he sticks with his commitment, because he already has an impressive offer list.

Love the email notifications that direct users to this post, its pretty cool, and hope you continue to do that in the future.

But being a avid reader of the board, I actually read the post before I received the email

Love the email notifications that direct users to this post, its pretty cool, and hope you continue to do that in the future.

But being a avid reader of the board, I actually read the post before I received the email

+1 on that, it is kind of neat. And well to the Sooners young Mr. Peters.

Wow sounds like Capel wanted this guy bad. From Rivals:

"Richard fell in love with Oklahoma on his unofficial visit this spring. He's been talking about doing this for a while. Oklahoma did a terrific job recruiting him."

Scarlett had high praise for Coach Capel's recruiting effort.

"The biggest thing is that Coach Capel showed more interest, along with the rest of the staff, than any other school," said Scarlett. "Coach Capel put in the work and recruited Richard like he was an assistant coach."[/QUOTE]

I love Jeff Capel. The guy can flat out recruit. This kid sounds like a great recruit, 6'10'' and growing, and he is not rail thin. I hope he sticks with his commitment, because he already has an impressive offer list.

If you read Hale's interview on the Insider board you'd know the chances of him opting for another school are very slim. Peters raved about his visit to OU during the Bedlam game in early March. He went on and on about being shown around campus by Blake, his close relationship with Coach Cline and Coach Capel, his friendship with Ryan Wright and how everyone he met welcomed him with open arms. Something tells me this young man is already a Sooner at heart and nothing will alter his plans to wear the C&C. :OUbball-logo:

Back