New Warmup Routine

Krugerfan52

Reaction score
For those of you who were not there last night, I thought you might like to know that Capel has changed their pregame warmup. When I walked in at about 10 minutes til game time, I saw the player doing a defensive slide drill where they got in a stance and did stepslides in a line from corner to corner of their side of the court.

I thought it was a good idea. They played harder defense, so maybe it got them thinking about it right before game time.

I have thought all year that the way we have warmed up has affected our play, in a negative way. Hopefully this will help. But if anything it shows that our coach is trying.

:jcapel

When I played, we had to warm up first with defensive drills and then shoot. If we didn't warm up well it usually met bad things on the floor. You never can do to much defensive stuff. Gets the body ready for play.

This is an opinion thing so I will add my opinion.

I have never seen a reason to do a defensive drill in warmups. I want to spend my time getting the guys going full speed and shooting.

Defensive slides are a waste of time to me in warmups, just like the teams that get in spots and do it as one big group and finish taking a charge.

That is just my opinion, therefore neither side is right or wrong.

i hope we don't have to practice defensive drills in warmups to get us up to play defense. but if it works,...

This is an opinion thing so I will add my opinion.

I have never seen a reason to do a defensive drill in warmups. I want to spend my time getting the guys going full speed and shooting.

Defensive slides are a waste of time to me in warmups, just like the teams that get in spots and do it as one big group and finish taking a charge.

That is just my opinion, therefore neither side is right or wrong.

Most worthless warm-up routine ever.

You aren't doing it to "warm up for playing defense". You are doing it to get the team to take something seriously, and to get them focused. Some teams are mature enough to do that shooting layups and jumpers. Others aren't, I guess. Obviously Capel wants them doing SOMETHING where they won't be goofing off, and not focusing.

You aren't doing it to "warm up for playing defense". You are doing it to get the team to take something seriously, and to get them focused. Some teams are mature enough to do that shooting layups and jumpers. Others aren't, I guess. Obviously Capel wants them doing SOMETHING where they won't be goofing off, and not focusing.
I agree with you. If I were Capel, I would change up anything I could think of too that might get them ready to play hard. You can't keep doing the same thing and expect a different result.

Another thing I'd do if I were Capel is to take away the headphones/music, say, an hour before the game. If a player is out there shooting BEFORE the official, pregame shootaround, fine. But once the team is out there as a whole, there should be no individual music.

I agree with your point. Maybe Jeff wants them to think about the defensive points they have stressed in practice all week.

At the same time, I still think it is worthless. Just opinion though.

I have always thought those drills were worthless too, and I hated doing them. But when I saw our guys doing them I was glad to see coach trying to get them to realize that he is serious about defense and if we don't focus on it them we will get smoked every night in Big 12 play.

Perhaps it was used as a barometer to indicate who was willing to show the proper effort during the drill and reward those players with some playing time.

I have always thought those drills were worthless too, and I hated doing them. But when I saw our guys doing them I was glad to see coach trying to get them to realize that he is serious about defense and if we don't focus on it them we will get smoked every night in Big 12 play.

If it takes a drill for them to realize coach is serious then coach needs to start benching these guys. Sprints in practice should be the eye opener not a drill before a game..imo

Back