Next season

It has nothing to do with your basketball opinion, so let's get that straight. What is has to do with is your demeaning and overtly condescending behavior to anyone who doesn't accept your viewpoint hook, line and sinker as gospel. The only things in reality which run through you are breakfast, lunch and dinner. Period. Your comment regarding how, we as fans, should just forfeit the season before the first shot is taken qualifies as an adult response? Only in your convoluted world.

There are plenty of people on here that I disagree with yet always respect their opinions because they are logical, sincerely held, and not based on ridiculous overreactions and exaggerations (fire the coach, the players all lack talent, our program is a disgrace, etc). For example, I don't agree with Bigabd about recruiting jucos, but I know that he legitimately believes that and isn't posting it just to troll. But I absolutely will point it out when people let their agenda blind them to facts. Facts about Lon's record, facts about the selection process, facts about how we compare to other programs, facts about how the Big 12 is rated by every metric that exists. Likewise, if people are going to constantly change their position to try to justify their desired outcome, that is fair game to point out. So when a month ago people in the "Lon must go" camp were relying heavily on the assumption that we were going to miss the tourney for the second time in three years, and not approach 20 wins, and now come back with "well, ok, we will probably make it, but barely, and only because the bubble is weak and the criteria are stupid," it doesn't make me arrogant to point that out.

I don’t think next years team will be all that much better. I do think we have some nice players coming in, but I still think they’ll finish outside the top 5 in big12. They’ll make the tourney, hopefully, but nothing more.

I love Kruger and think he’s a great guy but he should retire. OU should begin the process of identifying the next OU head coach. I’m ready to move on from Kruger, but I understand that’s not happening. Although, he should be replaced within 2 years.

This team is soft and weak minded. It’s disgusting.

I don’t think next years team will be all that much better. I do think we have some nice players coming in, but I still think they’ll finish outside the top 5 in big12. They’ll make the tourney, hopefully, but nothing more.

I love Kruger and think he’s a great guy but he should retire. OU should begin the process of identifying the next OU head coach. I’m ready to move on from Kruger, but I understand that’s not happening. Although, he should be replaced within 2 years.

This team is soft and weak minded. It’s disgusting.

I don't understand how you don't think we will be better. Are we really losing much contribution? James plays a lot, but I don't think he's a game changer. I think we can agree Calixte, Reynolds, and McNeace have been disappointments.

I guess if you are down on Harmon, Reeves, Kuath, Hill and the rest then you could make that argument. I just have a hard time believing that group won't be an improvement on what we are losing

I think we should just forfeit the season in advance. Just like it was obvious we were only going to win one more game this season as of mid-February, it is obvious we have no chance next season. Why bother playing the games?

Ok wichita....what's your prediction in the b12 alone? Hell...not even record...top 3, middle 3 bottom 4?

Considering what other teams have coming back (as of now, since it is now we are talking)..

Im going with bottom 4 again.

Manek struggles boxing guys out

There was one late in the game in which he blocked his guy out finally and then he didn’t even jump and the ball went over his head, the ball was rebounded by WVU, and then they scored. My wife and I nearly lost our minds.

Being at the game last time...watching off ball (no tv showing this) manek is NOT a 4...he got manhandled every time down on def...pre position posting.

He's a "3" if anything.

Being at the game last time...watching off ball (no tv showing this) manek is NOT a 4...he got manhandled every time down on def...pre position posting.

He's a "3" if anything.

The same thing showed on TV as well. He rebounded pretty well in the OOC, but since conference play he has rebounded poorly.

Ok wichita....what's your prediction in the b12 alone? Hell...not even record...top 3, middle 3 bottom 4?

Considering what other teams have coming back (as of now, since it is now we are talking)..

Im going with bottom 4 again.

I think it's a fool's errand trying to predict that at this stage. We don't know who is turning pro, transferring, getting injured, suspended, etc. I think it's safe to say the standings this season look different if Doke, De Sousa, Garret, and Vick all play 30+ games. Same goes for several teams in the conference. Plus it's almost certain that most teams will add recruits in the next couple months. I'm not ducking the question, I'll absolutely be willing to give an educated guess before next season. I'm willing to say right now that barring something unexpected with the roster, we will be better in the backcourt. Like a lot of you, I'm worried about the lack of an effective, true big. But I imagine that will be an area we try to address on the transfer market.

I think it's a fool's errand trying to predict that at this stage. We don't know who is turning pro, transferring, getting injured, suspended, etc. I think it's safe to say the standings this season look different if Doke, De Sousa, Garret, and Vick all play 30+ games. Same goes for several teams in the conference. Plus it's almost certain that most teams will add recruits in the next couple months. I'm not ducking the question, I'll absolutely be willing to give an educated guess before next season. I'm willing to say right now that barring something unexpected with the roster, we will be better in the backcourt. Like a lot of you, I'm worried about the lack of an effective, true big. But I imagine that will be an area we try to address on the transfer market.
Understand...

I just see wv with 3 fr and their best big not playing beat tt...ku has 3 fr on the floor most of the time..

Isu young,...

Ksu loses their 3 best guys.

Like you said we have no true big...we've gotten killed lately on the boards

The same thing showed on TV as well. He rebounded pretty well in the OOC, but since conference play he has rebounded poorly.

Ah...ok..I was thinking if they followed the ball...most folks watch ball...not the fighting for position underneath...manek just got pushed all the wsy down under the bucket most everytime. Same with freeman.

I don't understand how you don't think we will be better. Are we really losing much contribution? James plays a lot, but I don't think he's a game changer. I think we can agree Calixte, Reynolds, and McNeace have been disappointments.

I guess if you are down on Harmon, Reeves, Kuath, Hill and the rest then you could make that argument. I just have a hard time believing that group won't be an improvement on what we are losing

Harmon, Reaves, and Williams should all make us better but I expect all 3 to struggle most of the season. It's hard for new guys to come in and make a big contribution as they always seem to hit a wall at some point.

I'm afraid Kuath is along the same lines of every other big Lon has signed. Athletic but soft and unable to play defense or rebound as well as struggling to score. As others have said, Manek and Doolittle at the 4/5 for long periods of time will be a disaster.

It's funny how OU is losing a 14.5 ppg, 6.5 rpg, and 2apg senior guard and everyone acts like its nothing.

OU is essentially losing about 42 ppg. They average 71 ppg. That means they are losing 60% of the scoring from this years team. Of course, that means more shots for Doo and Manek, and new faces will be there... but there will be pains probably from losing 60% of your scoring.

The key thing is that the talent improves... Calixte and Reynolds both average 7ppg, so on the surface it looks like you are losing two very capable, solid players. But there is always context to these things, and its clear to me that the talent of Reaves and Harmon is drastically superior to Calixte and Reynolds.

I think we can agree Calixte, Reynolds, and McNeace have been disappointments.

I don't know how Calixte and Reynolds can be considered disappointments when they were widely dismissed on this board before they ever arrived in Norman.

As for McNeace, I'm disappointed that he suffered an injury that ruined his senior season.

Harmon, Reaves, and Williams should all make us better but I expect all 3 to struggle most of the season. It's hard for new guys to come in and make a big contribution as they always seem to hit a wall at some point.

I'm afraid Kuath is along the same lines of every other big Lon has signed. Athletic but soft and unable to play defense or rebound as well as struggling to score. As others have said, Manek and Doolittle at the 4/5 for long periods of time will be a disaster.

There is no reason to think that Reaves will hit a wall in his third season of college basketball. He has played approximately 70 college basketball games, and it's not like he played for some low level D-1 program (like Calixte and Reynolds). I realize not all of you have personally seen him play, but he isn't an unknown quantity. If a kid transferred to OU after playing two years at, say, Iowa State or Purdue, I don't think nearly as many people would act as if there was a big question regarding how good he can be for us. Bear in mind, I despise WSU, so I would not hesitate to question the kid if I didn't think highly of him.

Lets take a look at the game log on Reaves... High majors, ranked teams, or the NCAA Tournament.

6'5'' 180.. Averaged 8 points and 3 rebounds per game at WSU.

10 points against Marquette.... 0-1
2 points against Notre Dame..... 0.1
5 points against Baylor.... 1-1
5 points against Oklahoma State.... 1-2
5 points against Oklahoma... 2-5
5 points against Houston.... 1-2
10 points against Houston.... 0-0
2 points against Houston... 0-1
0 points against Cincy... 0-5
12 points against Cincy... 2-5
0 points against Marshall... 0-3

5.0 ppg and 26% 3pt shooting against high majors, ranked opponents, or in the NCAA Tournament in his sophomore year at Wichita State.

He really made his season in that sophomore year starting Tulsa on January 28th... In a 3 game stretch against Tulsa, Temple, and Memphis he scored 23, 20, and 22.... He finished pretty strong after that as well with games of 11, 12, 10, 11, and 13.

Does this information help anyone with expectation? Or do we still expect him to be a Big 12 level starter right away? Most of us have him automatically penciled in.

Knowing what I just found out about... I think its best if Alondes Williams turns out to be legit and Reaves is 6th man off the bench. That would make OU a better team obviously.

Lets take a look at the game log on Reaves... High majors, ranked teams, or the NCAA Tournament.

6'5'' 180.. Averaged 8 points and 3 rebounds per game at WSU.

10 points against Marquette.... 0-1
2 points against Notre Dame..... 0.1
5 points against Baylor.... 1-1
5 points against Oklahoma State.... 1-2
5 points against Oklahoma... 2-5
5 points against Houston.... 1-2
10 points against Houston.... 0-0
2 points against Houston... 0-1
0 points against Cincy... 0-5
12 points against Cincy... 2-5
0 points against Marshall... 0-3

5.0 ppg and 26% 3pt shooting against high majors, ranked opponents, or in the NCAA Tournament in his sophomore year at Wichita State.

He really made his season in that sophomore year starting Tulsa on January 28th... In a 3 game stretch against Tulsa, Temple, and Memphis he scored 23, 20, and 22.... He finished pretty strong after that as well with games of 11, 12, 10, 11, and 13.

Does this information help anyone with expectation? Or do we still expect him to be a Big 12 level starter right away? Most of us have him automatically penciled in.

Knowing what I just found out about... I think its best if Alondes Williams turns out to be legit and Reaves is 6th man off the bench. That would make OU a better team obviously.

I'll be happy to make a friendly wager with you on this one. If he doesn't start next year, I will be stunned. If we have three better guards, obviously that would speak well for the talent level on our team, but it also would mean that he isn't playing nearly as well as he is capable. Keep in mind, he had to fight for minutes at WSU as a freshman and sophomore behind a future NBA guard, plus several good, established upperclassman. Plus, Marshall doesn't give any of his players much freedom offensively.

I don't know how Calixte and Reynolds can be considered disappointments when they were widely dismissed on this board before they ever arrived in Norman.

Not so sure about that. Expectations for Calixte were higher. Reynolds' expectations were lower than his OOC performance, but higher than his conference performance.

Not so sure about that. Expectations for Calixte were higher. Reynolds' expectations were lower than his OOC performance, but higher than his conference performance.

You remember it very differently than I do. Perhaps the naysayers were just louder, but I recall many more doom-and-gloom posts about them than positive ones. In fact, I don't really recall any particularly positive posts about either player. Let's-wait-and-see posts, yes (mostly in response to all the negative posts), but outright optimistic posts projecting either player to be a big boost to OU's prospects? There were very few (if any) of those.

You remember it very differently than I do. Perhaps the naysayers were just louder, but I recall many more doom-and-gloom posts about them than positive ones. In fact, I don't really recall any particularly positive posts about either player. Let's-wait-and-see posts, yes (mostly in response to all the negative posts), but outright optimistic posts projecting either player to be a big boost to OU's prospects? There were very few (if any) of those.

Read a LOT of "I trust Lon" posts.

Back