NIL News - New Non-Profit Called '1Oklahoma'

Not necessarily. When Pack got so much money for transferring to Miami, one of the Hurricanes' top players (I forget his name) made a stink, demanding similar benefits (and I think he got them).

He did get them. It was Wong by the way.

I know it’s football-related but it is still scary NIL news. Longhorns WR Xavier Worthy was offered 7-figures to transfer. He is staying which indicates Texas ponied-up to keep him. The Pittsburgh Panthers are filing tampering charges for losing their WR. This is way out of hand. The good news with basketball (I guess) is that if a player is that good after one year, he’ll just go right to the NBA.

The National Player of the Year returned to college cause his NIL deal was likely going to be more than his rookie salary..

The National Player of the Year returned to college cause his NIL deal was likely going to be more than his rookie salary..

Point taken…didn’t even think about that. This really is turning into one giant mess in a hurry.

I wish the NCAA listened to the likes of Barry Switzer many years ago. If they just gave these guys a stipend, I’m not sure we’d be in this mess.

Point taken…didn’t even think about that. This really is turning into one giant mess in a hurry.

I wish the NCAA listened to the likes of Barry Switzer many years ago. If they just gave these guys a stipend, I’m not sure we’d be in this mess.

Basketball wise. Every UNC player returned for bumped up NIL as well.

He did get them. It was Wong by the way.

Actually the booster told him that he wouldn't renegotiate the deal he already made with Wong. Said he would help him try to find other NIL deals, but he didn't just match the deal he gave Pack.

Other schools? Love was a 2nd rounder. He was the only player being Draft worthy that I know of. Oscar T was a borderline second rounder as well.

During the 20th century, UNC was basically NBA-U. However, I can’t think of the last UNC player who became an NBA All-Star caliber player. If the answer is Vince Carter, he was drafted in the previous century…so it would hardly be surprising if they don’t have any high-end players the NBA is drooling over. If they’re getting even decent NIL deals, no reason for them to go anywhere.

WSU just fired their AD. They may not publicly say this, but his failure to have NIL plans in place is almost certainly the biggest reason.

During the 20th century, UNC was basically NBA-U. However, I can’t think of the last UNC player who became an NBA All-Star caliber player. If the answer is Vince Carter, he was drafted in the previous century…so it would hardly be surprising if they don’t have any high-end players the NBA is drooling over. If they’re getting even decent NIL deals, no reason for them to go anywhere.

Correct. Not recently has UNC been worth a damn in producing NBA All-Stars. The closest they've gotten is Harrison Barnes. However, they have had players drafted a ton over the years. Which accounts for something. Same for Duke, Kentucky, etc.

Those of you that think what aTm is doing is sustainable, where is all that extra money going to come from? Sure, there are donors that donate millions each year. But now, some of that money is going to be allocated to NIL/recruits. So the schools are just going to lose out on those donations more? Donors are going to be happy/content to continue donating like that after the 1st NC? After 5-10 years with NO NC? We'll see.

Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.

Those of you that think what aTm is doing is sustainable, where is all that extra money going to come from? Sure, there are donors that donate millions each year. But now, some of that money is going to be allocated to NIL/recruits. So the schools are just going to lose out on those donations more? Donors are going to be happy/content to continue donating like that after the 1st NC? After 5-10 years with NO NC? We'll see.

Also, those of you that said the NCAA/Feds can't regulate this, or the amounts given to players, they literally just did. We'll have to see how it plays out, but they literally just said there needs to be a reasonableness to this. NIL isn't worth whatever a donor feels like it is worth. There are ways to pretty easily show what advertising a player is doing is worth. If some kid coming out of HS is being paid more by a local furniture company than Tom Brady makes doing commercials throughout the year for a national brand, it's pretty easy to show/prove that the HS player is being paid as an inducement, and not for his NIL.

tamu and texas are at like 150 mil budgets ... they will be fine at 140 with 10 mil going to NIL ..

it is very sustainable ..

The NCAA has said a lot of things over the years. Why would we start taking them seriously now?

Again, they made their bed by being anti-athletes for decades. They are dealing with the unintended consequences of their own stupidity and bad faith.

they have just talked they have not regulated anything yet

market value is what ever someone will pay period ... nothing else would stand up in court ...

market value is what ever someone will pay period

I don't think that is necessarily the case.

If 5 guys would pay $1k for a date with Pamela Anderson but one desperate guy would pay $100k, what is the market price? Surely the outlier would not be included in the market price.

In 1890, it was the highest price that would be paid. In 1950/1962, that started to change a bit. A caveat was added to take away the effects of "abnormal pressure". Meaning that market value shouldn't be based on circumstances where the buyer is under high pressure.

In 1975 & 1981 it changed by adding even more conditions. It also changed the "highest" price to the "most probable" price a property SHOULD bring.

Current definitions continue to evolve.

Yes, these are all for real estate prices. But I think the same semantics can apply here for NIL.

Market Value shouldn't be, IMO, what the highest bidder will pay. THat isn't fair as the highest bidder may be so much higher than anyone else is willing to pay because they have more assets, have more need or other circumstances demand it.

Market Value should be what is a reasonable, probably price that most would pay.

Let's say I'm selling my home for $500k and have a few people interested. We get into a bidding war. Most buyers are around the $500k range. But one buyer has a rich oil man that really wants this property for whatever reason and offers more than he knows anyone else would offer. Let's say $1MM, just to make sure he gets it. Is the market value for my house really $1MM? Do all the other homes around me increase in value because of this inflated sales price?

Let's say I'm selling my home for $500k and have a few people interested. We get into a bidding war. Most buyers are around the $500k range. But one buyer has a rich oil man that really wants this property for whatever reason and offers more than he knows anyone else would offer. Let's say $1MM, just to make sure he gets it. Is the market value for my house really $1MM? Do all the other homes around me increase in value because of this inflated sales price?

someone can't stop you from selling the house for the 1 mil and they can't stop the guy from paying the 1 mil ..

just like that the NCAA can't do anything to cap pay at all ....

someone can't stop you from selling the house for the 1 mil and they can't stop the guy from paying the 1 mil ..

just like that the NCAA can't do anything to cap pay at all ....

That's not the point. The point was to show that what one entity might be willing to pay doesn't necessarily mean that is the market value.

So legally, I could foresee there being a cap on NIL while still allowing unlimited market value

they have just talked they have not regulated anything yet

market value is what ever someone will pay period ... nothing else would stand up in court ...

That is absolutely false. It completely ignores the cheating, pay-to-play aspect of this.

If some kid out of HS is getting $3M from a LOCAL not-for-profit set up to provide NIL, that isn't market value. 100% is NOT. And trying to make that case is ignorant.

Let me put it another way:

If market value, as you are trying to define it, includes a level of persuasion, again, that isn't market value.

If the CEO of a large company overpays when acquiring another company because his buddy owns a portion of the acquired company, that wasn't market value and when people associated with the CEO's company find out, they'll be plenty unhappy.

Again, it's the persuasion, or enticement, or WHATEVER you want to call it that forces it to not truly be market value. And right now, it's obvious that is what is going on. Might this evolve into something very similar only with the players and company/organization sending the money get a little smarter and hide it a little better? Maybe. It'll still be cheating and against the "rules", but I do agree that the NCAA is going to have a really tough time policing this.

For those of you that were arguing with me over the sustainability of the current NIL environment, there is a story on TFB (paywall) about this very thing this morning, and how schools are already seeing less in terms of donated monies, and that tough decisions could be coming in the future if things don't change.

Like I said, there is only so much money out there. There are only a handful of athletic programs that even operate at a profit. If they all start seeing significantly less incoming donated dollars, that is a HUGE hit to these athletic departments.

Back