No more Summer AAU tournaments on College Campuses

Sam

Reaction score
Can't find an article right now directly talking about the move but it was mentioned in a texashoops.com as the reason the GASO has moved from Denton to Duncanville.

After 14 successful years in Denton at the University of North Texas, the Great American Shoot-Out will be moving to the south side of the Metroplex. Duncanville, Cedar Hill and DeSoto High Schools along with the newly renovated Bob Knight Fieldhouse, will join IAD, as the host sites for the 2010 Great American Shoot-Out in July. IAD, Bob Knight Fieldhouse and these first-class high school facilities will keep the Great American Shoot-Out at the forefront of college coaches summer schedule. (New NCAA legislation prohibits the use of Division 1 college campuses for summer tournaments)

I wonder how this will affect the Sooner Cager classic as I know they usually played games at the LNC, I hope they still have it just move all the games to Norman North and Norman high schools.

Can't find an article right now directly talking about the move but it was mentioned in a texashoops.com as the reason the GASO has moved from Denton to Duncanville.

I wonder how this will affect the Sooner Cager classic as I know they usually played games at the LNC, I hope they still have it just move all the games to Norman North and Norman high schools.

Too bad...the Best of Summer Tournament hosted by Adidas and Loyola Marymount was one of my favorites growing up. Lots of fun playing in those large gyms and a collegiate court, too bad most players won't get to experience that now.

The NCAA is finally taking steps to end hiring AAU coaches, relatives and close friends that gave schools an advantage in signing top recruits. Guess summer AAU tournaments on college campuses was on the committee's list, too.

All I have to say is, It's about time!

The NCAA is finally taking steps to end hiring AAU coaches, relatives and close friends that gave schools an advantage in signing top recruits. Guess summer AAU tournaments on college campuses was on the committee's list, too.

All I have to say is, It's about time!

They're only limiting "administrative positions" within the basketball department. If a coach wants to hire a high school/AAU coach to be an actual assistant or DBO, that is still legal.

Last edited:
horrible idea. as was prohibiting certain hires.

horrible idea. as was prohibiting certain hires.
The more I think about it I really have to agree with you on the college campuses, even just with the GASO being moved out of Denton it hurts that tournament. I had been once and I loved how it was located and all the upper tier games were in walking distance which made it a basketball filled fun day to watch them all. Also I am sure this is going to have a negative effects on many other various tournaments as I am going to assume college campuses refers to all so even tournaments at little NAIA and Division 2 schools are going to hurt. Really seems like this is a move to cut back on summer tournaments by the NCAA as there will be less gym options for the people who host them.

NCAA is being a bully in my opinion they takeing from the poor and giving to the rich the people who own the IAD center and FRisco Fieldhouse dont give a damn about the game they just want that almighty dollar THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIREING COACHES.NCAA need to tell the true story,not only are you hurting the tournament you hurting a whole community that depends on the tournaments every summer.AAU organizations are going to be forced to play less tournaments because these facilitys are not cheap,less tournaments means less good players being seen so now you hurting the kid and the college who might not ever get to see this kid.NCAA,what about the jobs you are taking away from the kids that look foward to working these tournaments every summer,are the family of the janitor that depends on his overyime every summer for staying over to cleanup you decision makers really need to take inventory of yourselves and realize you are hurting more people and families instead of helping the game.

The setup of GASO was great. It gave coaches of all levels chances to see kids that could help them. GASO has helped Every Coach in the Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas area. Also, North Texas has benefitted from no special advantage to having GASO on it's campus. KU has benefited from no advantage with their campus tournament. This year, KU had Barnes and Beal play in their tournament and guess what happened to those kids. AF played against teams that had AJ Walton, Roger Franklin, Jmison Morgan, Nash, Rotnei Clarke, etc. OU didn't get those players. Now won't be naive and act like their's not a corelation with these guys playing in this tournament and OU also recruiting these players, but a venue is not going to sway a player into going to a school.

NCAA is being a bully in my opinion they takeing from the poor and giving to the rich the people who own the IAD center and FRisco Fieldhouse dont give a damn about the game they just want that almighty dollar THIS IS NOT ABOUT HIREING COACHES.NCAA need to tell the true story,not only are you hurting the tournament you hurting a whole community that depends on the tournaments every summer.AAU organizations are going to be forced to play less tournaments because these facilitys are not cheap,less tournaments means less good players being seen so now you hurting the kid and the college who might not ever get to see this kid.NCAA,what about the jobs you are taking away from the kids that look foward to working these tournaments every summer,are the family of the janitor that depends on his overyime every summer for staying over to cleanup you decision makers really need to take inventory of yourselves and realize you are hurting more people and families instead of helping the game.

I understand your point, but have to disagree. The NCAA is enacting this rule because of the deemed "unfair advantage" host schools receive, even though I don't agree with that thought. The NCAA is not looking to profit from these tournaments, just trying to regulate (which is unnecessary IMO).

Im not saying their profiting from the tournaments im saying the owners of these big facilities is about to profit more and thats ok im a business man myself but tou takeing jobs away from people who depend on this tournament every summer.The IAD center ,and these other facilities have their on staff and most of them have their on concession and trust me it is not cheap and they dont allow you to bring other food in,NCAA needs to find another way because you punishing the kids for adults personal gain.

Im not saying their profiting from the tournaments im saying the owners of these big facilities is about to profit more and thats ok im a business man myself but tou takeing jobs away from people who depend on this tournament every summer.The IAD center ,and these other facilities have their on staff and most of them have their on concession and trust me it is not cheap and they dont allow you to bring other food in,NCAA needs to find another way because you punishing the kids for adults personal gain.

The only punishment I see the HS players receiving is not being able to play in some nice venues such as North Texas and Loyola Marymount. The NCAA's job is not to regulate commerce for high school tournaments, unfortunately, there will be some smaller side effects of their ruling. That's not fair to some people, but that's life.

Thats the sad part about it your statement (thats life) u right but it effects people lifes,you may are may not have been to as many tournaments as i,but i been to alot of them every summer all over from texas to alaska and it is priceless to see aplayers face and hearing the excitement in their voice when they play in that college venue and what about the unsign seniors now you have to find a new venue for them to be seen.Maybe im wrong but i think it is another solution to the problem.

I agree with you that it is unfortunate that players aren't getting to play in campus arenas, that's a lot of fun, I know from experience as you can see at the top of the thread. However, the NCAA's job isn't to worry about concessions or the janitor's wages.

I agree with you that it is unfortunate that players aren't getting to play in campus arenas, that's a lot of fun, I know from experience as you can see at the top of the thread. However, the NCAA's job isn't to worry about concessions or the janitor's wages.

how about they worry about the thousands of players that enjoy and benefit from playing in campus venue tournaments instead of the handful of top 100 recruits that might be (slightly) swayed to some random school hosting some random tournament?

how about they worry about the thousands of players that enjoy and benefit from playing in campus venue tournaments instead of the handful of top 100 recruits that might be (slightly) swayed to some random school hosting some random tournament?

This.

I disagree with their ruling as well, think it has zero benefit. The NCAA is basically passing a blanket ruling based on a few instances that a player might have been swayed.

Back