North’s Evans sisters a steadying force

bluesooner17

Reaction score
There was no stopping Jacie Evans.

The Norman North junior stomped to mid-court at Norman High last week, following a frustrating sequence that had led to a North timeout.

Her sister Jessika called out to her.

“It depends on how big the mess-up was that she made — or the refs made — in her eyes,” said Jessika, a sophomore. “So sometimes she’ll take it and sometimes she’ll hold onto it for a couple more plays.”

This is where Jacie’s younger sister, by one year, provides a calming presence. The goal is to get both playing at a high level, because that’s when North is at its best.

“They just complement each other real well,” North coach Rory Hamilton said.

The Evans sisters are vital to the No. 11 Timberwolves’ success as they begin a postseason regional tournament with Jenks (11- 12) at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at Westmoore. The pair has helped North win three straight games against top-12 ranked opponents.

Both have their fiery moments, but Jacie likely leads the two in that statistical category, in addition to averaging 13.3 points and 5.6 rebounds while shooting 30 percent from beyond the 3-point arc.

“Oh, she’s probably our best player,” Jessika said. “Her toughness, overall, always a competitive spirit. She always wants the best for the team. She just has that will to win.”

Jessika can be equally effective. She averages 9.5 points, 1.1 blocks and seven rebounds inside, but is a threat from the perimeter, too. Last week, she brought the ball up against NHS’ pressure during the fourth quarter and added a 3-pointer.

“She has that ability, she can move better than most posts,” Jacie said. “Sometimes she has a better shot than me, I have to say. I’m still gonna win the horse games. Even against my brother I’m gonna win the horse games. He can’t shoot.”

The sisters’ brother is former North and OU football linebacker Jordan Evans, who spent this past season as a rookie with the Cincinnati Bengals. He started four games and made 27 tackles.

Jordan is able to attend most North games, now that he’s back home conducting offseason workouts at OU’s football facility. And he’s one reason the girls play the way they do.

Everything was a competition growing up. It still is, actually. When Jordan was in Ohio last fall, the siblings played interactive iMessage games on their cell phones constantly to help stay in touch.

“He gets so competitive on those,” Jacie said. “He’s probably the most competitive out of all of us.”

A regional title would create an inside track toward the state tournament, but North would likely need to beat fifth-ranked Westmoore on Saturday to make that happen. The Jaguars won a previous meeting 65-54 in early January.

North’s chances also hinge on how guards Lindsey Waters and Kayton Kite play, as well as forward Emma Base.

But the Timberwolves need the dynamic the Evans sisters bring. They know where to find each other on the court, which shots they like.

And, of course, like last week, when to settle each other down.

“Those kids, they’re just competitive spirits,” Hamilton said. “They’ve just got a lot of heart, a lot of toughness, a lot of resolve.”

Back