North girls stymied vs. Edmond Memorial

bluesooner17

Reaction score
Lindsey Waters confidently rose up for a longrange shot in the corner, but the ball met Taylor Norman’s fingertips.

Waters wasn’t alone.

Her third-quarter attempt was far from the only miss during a drought Norman North’s girls ultimately couldn’t overcome.

Sixth-ranked Edmond Memorial clamped down on No. 8 North and held on for a 43-36 victory Friday at the Timberwolves’ gym.

Memorial’s length — highlighted by 6-foot-3 center Katelyn Levings, who finished with 13 points and six rebounds — was a difference-maker defensively and on the glass, compounding North’s offensive woes.

“We weren’t able to gather rebounds. To give a good team second and third opportunities, you just can’t do that,” said North coach Rory Hamilton, whose team was outrebounded 27-12. “Unfortunately, we didn’t shoot a good enough percentage to overcome those things.”

Jacie Evans tallied 16 points for North (12-4) and the T-Wolves cut it to a one-possession game with under a minute left, which was impressive considering the circumstances.

North had two field goals total between the second and third quarter, wallowing through a 13:14 span of game clock without a make before ultimately shooting 23 percent.

Still, the deficit was just 21-18 at half and 39-36 with under a minute left, after Evans made a pair of free throws.

Memorial (13-4) had offensive troubles of its own, shooting 30.9 percent (13 of 42).

“I thought we guarded really well, I mean, they’re a great offensive team. To hold them to 43, a lot of those are free throws, I felt really good about our defense,” Hamilton said. “Our first-short defense has been great all year. It’s just giving teams second and third opportunities, which against average teams you might get away with that. Good teams will make you pay.”

With time winding down, North intentionally fouled Memorial’s Kendra Levings and she made both to push the lead to 41-36. Evans was whistled for charging at the other end.

Shots inside were difficult in part because of the Bulldogs’ active hands and long arms.

“That and I think [we were] rushing them a little bit,” Hamilton said. “Good defensive teams have a tendency to make you shoot that shot a little bit quicker, but I thought we had great looks. We had about four or five shots in the paint for layups we missed.

“That’s just one of those things. What can you do when the ball’s not going in? You gotta generate offense somehow.”

North went to Evans down the stretch for points and she delivered seven points in the fourth quarter, including a 3-pointer that cut it to a two-possession game with 1:43 left.

Sophomore guard Katyon Kite was reliable, too, scoring 12 points while making her first four 3-pointers.

But Memorial held point guard Lindsey Waters scoreless and made all the necessary plays around

the rim. Meanwhile, North forwards Emma Base and Jessika Evans lingered into foul trouble by the fourth quarter.

The numbers never added up in the T-Wolves’ favor. The next opportunity to bounce back is Tuesday when they host Southmoore.

“I was proud of our defense,” Hamilton said. “We gotta find a way to score the ball better. Unfortunately, just came up a little bit short.”

Back