Note to athletic department “boosters”

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
As an FYI to the message board, OU often communicates COMPLIANCE messages to all of the various boosters. Any OU booster that reads their mail or their email communications from OU cannot claim to be uneducated on the basic rules. For example, today I received the OKLAHOMA MEN’S BASKETBALL monthly newsletter to TIP IN CLUB members via email. In addition to giving information about the team and upcoming TIP IN CLUB events, it also contained the following note:

A NOTE FROM COMPLIANCE:

The NCAA defines an “extra benefit” as any special arrangement by an institutional employee or booster (e.g. Tip In Club Member) to provide the student-athlete or his or her family members or friends with a benefit not expressly authorized by NCAA legislation. (NCAA Bylaw 16.11.2.1). It is necessary that we remind all boosters that the NCAA does NOT permit you to provide meals, housing or financial support to future or current student-athletes.

Only the institution may provide meals and housing to athletes. It is the sole responsibility of the institution to ensure that our athlete’s needs are met. The NCAA precludes all boosters from financially assisting athletes, the student-athlete family members and/or friends. If you are aware of an athlete in need, contact our Athletics Compliance Department. Do not jeopardize the eligibility of an athlete by being the “Good Samaritan” and providing impermissible assistance to the athlete or their family and friends.

BOOSTERS / TIP IN CLUB MEMBERS MAY NOT:

• Provide a MEAL to an athlete, their family or their friends;
• Provide HOUSING to an athlete, their family or their friends;
• Provide CASH to an athlete, their family or their friends;
• Provide TRANSPORTATION to an athlete, their family or their friends.

If you have any questions about NCAA rules or need to contact the Athletics Compliance Department please call us at 405-325-7004 or email us at oucompliance@ou.edu.

Notes such as this are not unusual. They appear occasionally in various communications to OU boosters, including SOONER CLUB communications.

I just thought members of the message board might find these facts interesting and/or informative.

Peace.

As an FYI to the message board, OU often communicates COMPLIANCE messages to all of the various boosters. Any OU booster that reads their mail or their email communications from OU cannot claim to be uneducated on the basic rules. For example, today I received the OKLAHOMA MEN’S BASKETBALL monthly newsletter to TIP IN CLUB members via email. In addition to giving information about the team and upcoming TIP IN CLUB events, it also contained the following note:

Notes such as this are not unusual. They appear occasionally in various communications to OU boosters, including SOONER CLUB communications.

I just thought members of the message board might find these facts interesting and/or informative.

Peace.

Good post!

Back