NRK Highlights Video

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
I realize this is a topic we have discussed before. Shows how desperate I am to put politics and Covid behind us and talk about basketball.

As most of you know by now, Nathan Rawlins-Kibonge is an OU football commit who plans to play basketball as well as football. Coach Kruger was even involved in recruiting him. He’s an interesting prospect in that basketball was his first love. After helping 6A power Portland Jefferson to a 24-2 record as a junior last year, he accepted a PAC-12 scholarship offer in hoops to Washington State.

That was before he gave football a try for the first time last season, when he found his niche as a 6’ 7” 240 DE who shot up the board as a four star recruit where he got the attention of OU’s defensive recruiting staff.

While football appears to be the best option for him at the next level, he is by all accounts determined to play both sports. It should be noted that grades will not be a problem. He’s a good student with a 4.0 GPA average.

I posted this highlights video nearly two weeks ago before he was committed to OU. Since some here may not have been interested back then, or may not have noticed, thought I would post it again with the following questions. Assuming NRK actually plays basketball, is he good enough to help us? As a starter or off of the bench?

I’ll start by saying after watching this highlights video again with an eye more in tune with his athleticism and basic skill set, this kid could play on my team. I think he’s better than some of the basketball scholarship players on our roster in the last few years. If nothing else, maybe he will set the bar for toughness inside and on the boards in practice, two areas we have been woefully lacking in the last two or three years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFoaCrUr7CY

Good player, I think he would help out by his junior year if he only focused on basketball. Football will put 40lbs on him quick though. If he sticks it out for 4 years he’ll provide depth as the 5th or 6th big & will definitely help in practice.

This is my guess.

His game is very similar to Vic Iwuakor's game. Give him a year or two in the weight room and he will easily be 6'7" 265 lbs...and should provide a very physical presence off the bench.

The best part is...he doesn't cost the b-ball team a scholarship!!! Nothing but positives if he can provide some quality minutes.

Back