Official 2009 Basketball knowledge throw-down

:clap:clap:clap

This is the kind of out-of-the box thinking and depth of analysis that we need regularly.
Thank you, but I don't want to hijack your thread. The official 2009 basketball knowledge throw-down thread is losing steam.

I think X and whoever called him out in the other thread need to go heads-up...with money on the line. Each person sends me $5,000 via PayPal (we need someone trustworthy to hold this money so neither contestant reneges after losing) and I transfer the $10,000 prize to the winner.

Question:

2002 Oklahoma vs. 2009 Oklahoma

Who wins?

2002 didn't have one of these! I'll take Blake and company.

griffin_blake490.jpg

Willie Warren and Blake Griffin are enough of a reason for me to pick the 2009 Sooners.

Who was the best player on The White Shadow? Salami, Cool, Hollywood or Go-Go?

2002 would beat 2009 in a series. Not saying 2009 couldn't beat them in a one and done hypothetical situation but while the 2009 team had Blake and Willie, 2002 was better every where else. Aaron McGhee might have never have played a game in the NBA but he was one of the best big men in college basketball his SR year, especially the 2nd half. We all know what Hollis brought to the table and Quannas was a lock down defender, leader and clutch shooter. 2002 had the depth off the bench in Detrick and Selvy, plus the streaky scoring of Ebi Ere and defense, rebounding and shot blocking of Jabahri Brown. That team had it all, except anyone in the NBA and could have very easily have won the championship that year if a few things didn't go against us before and during the Indiana game.

Obivously, Blake Griffin was better than anyone on the 2002 team. That's a given.

Other than that, though, I have to go with the 2002 team. It was better at the point guard, and Hollis as a junior > Willie as a freshman. Ace and Taylor were similar in that they were scrappy, but Ace scored better. Also, Jabahri could have blocked at least one of Blake's shots, and maybe a big one. 2002's bench was much stronger.

I'll take 2002 OU 59-58. Kelvin's scrappy defense wins in a barn-burner.

Back