Oklahoma vs. Arizona 1999

What a game! This was Sampson's first tourney win after five seasons at OU. I was an 8th grader at Casady when this game was played. I cut tennis practice to go home and watch the game. The coach made me run sprints for the entirity of the next practice, but I didn't give a flying ****!

We had no business winning this game. Look how many future pros Arizona had!

This was probably the most shocking win for OU I can ever remember.

That was the most nerveracking I've ever been as a fan for the first 35 minutes of that game. We hung around but it looked like we were running out of gas then we made a great run the last 4 minutes to win that game. Seemed like Arizona was about the take over at that point.

Last edited:
Watching the end again. How great is Eddy Najera? He needs to have his jersey hung up there with the other greats.

Thank you so much arenateam, thank you. Just thank you.

All I can remember is the next round thinking that NC Charlotte has no business being a #5 seed - we dominated that game. (82-70).

How many years did Ryan Humphrey play in the NBA?

I remember sitting at the YMCA in Norman and watching the rest of that game. Sure was fun.

Awesome game.

We sure caught some breaks. That AZ player stepping over the end line and the refs missing Hump's off goaltending on our final bucket.

What a game. I remember Alex Spaulding just sort of came out of nowhere in the tourney. Najera, Martin, et al., were their usual selves but Alex really came on making a big difference. Of course he was a flash in the pan and was never to be seen from again after looking so promising. Eric Martin was one of my favorite guards in Kelvin's era. They guy was a freaking sharp shooter. Loved watching him play. The 99 team was a foundation team. They sort of helped set a standard for Kelvin. Soon guys like Price, Johnson, White, etc. etc. would step in with butt loads of talent yet continue to play gritty competitive ball which is the only way you can describe that 99 team.

Not enough can be said about Najera. I mean really. He hustled all the time. Even when he went to the bench he freaking hustled. He was ridiculous. My buddies and I used to call him 'dirty Najera' because some opponents would simply get thrown around or worse gashed open by him just hustling. :ez-laugh: He truly played like a warrior on the battle field and opponents knew what was coming. Loved every minute of it. Thank you Najera!

But yea... this was a great win for the program.

Last edited:
That win probably changed OU from being a middle of the road Big 12 team to being probably the 2nd best team in the Big 12 for much of the 2000s.

Back