Oklahoma will be just fine without Griffin >>> FoxSports.com

OUHoops

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/10324960/Oklahoma-will-be-just-fine-without-Griffin

Oklahoma will be just fine without Griffin
by Jeff Goodman

We're not going with a typical, run-of-the-mill Top 25 rundown each day. Instead, we'll cut to the chase and tell you who will be left standing at the end of the year in the Elite Eight.

We'll hit on one each over an eight-day span — in no particular order. Then we'll unveil my complete bracket just prior to the start of the season on Nov. 8. I had the championship game right last year, but incorrectly picked Michigan State to beat North Carolina.

I have a good feeling about my bracket this time around.

Blake Griffin is gone and now it's Willie Warren's team.

Warren just may be as talented a scoring guard as anyone in the country -- and now the Sooners have upgraded the point guard spot with the addition of freshman Tommy Mason-Griffin.

The key for the Sooners comes down to their interior play. Blake Griffin wasn't the only loss up front. Capel also lost Griffin's brother, Tyler, and Juan Pattillo — who was kicked out of the program.

Now the pressure in on 300-pound freshman Keith "Tiny" Gallon and whether he can be a force in the paint.

Why

1. Guard play: You won't find too many backcourts in the nation that can hang with Warren and TMG. Warren is an explosive scorer and Mason-Griffin can run a team and is also capable of scoring.

2. Tony Crocker: Look for the veteran wing to step up and become a reliable second scoring option behind Warren. He averaged 9.6 points last season and will get far more opportunities on the offensive end now that the Griffin Brothers are gone.

3. Star power: Warren is as talented as any guard in the country and is capable of creating a shot just about whenever he wants.

Why not

1. Immaturity:Warren is a charismatic and talented kid, but he'll need to mature, become a quality leader and consistently do more than just put the ball in the basket. He's certainly capable, but it remains a question mark.

2. Inexperience: Jeff Capel's three most talented players are sophomores and freshmen; Warren is a sophomore and Mason-Griffin and Gallon are both freshmen.

3. Size: Other than Gallon, there's not a ton of quality size up front. UCLA transfer Ryan Wright and even freshman Andrew Fitzgerald will have to fill key roles as guys who defend, rebound and finish around the basket.

Key player

Keith "Tiny" Gallon: If the wide body emerges as a force down low, it'll not only give the Sooners a legitimate low-post threat, but will also make life easier for Warren and Mason-Griffin on the perimeter.

Don't sleep on

Steven Pledger: The freshman from Virginia can make shots from the perimeter and that may be enough to get him on the court. With Warren attracting plenty of attention from defenses, Pledger should get plenty of open looks from long distance.

Great article by Goodman! I think he made a pretty good breakdown of the team and what needs to be done and we need to work on and such.

Also, kudos to him for the Pledger shout out! I have been sipping the Steve Pledger kool-aid for a while now. I really think he could make some HUGE contributions to this team.

Wait, so if I am following what he is doing with his preview, he is predicting OU to go to the elite eight?
We're not going with a typical, run-of-the-mill Top 25 rundown each day. Instead, we'll cut to the chase and tell you who will be left standing at the end of the year in the Elite Eight.
Man as young as this team another trip to the Elite Eight would be huge, just plain huge.

He obviously expects the big freshman down low to come through. I too think if Gallon, or anyone for that matter, emerges as a presence down low OU can be better than last yrs version. There I said it!

Back