Oklahoman: Steve Henson following in Lon Kruger's footsteps

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
http://www.newsok.com/article/3565938

THE SUNDAY OKLAHOMAN
OU hoops assistant Steve Henson following in Lon Kruger's footsteps
BY MIKE BALDWIN, Staff Writer, mbaldwin@opubco.com
Published: May 7, 2011

NORMAN — One reason Steve Henson chose to play at Kansas State was coach Lon Kruger played two sports. Every college coach promises you can play both but situations sometimes change once you're campus. Turns out, Henson and Kruger have a lot more than that in common. One of three assistants Kruger brought with him to Oklahoma from his staff at UNLV, Henson's reputation is an astute X's and O's coach who played hard every possession.

"They're carbon copies," said Kansas City Chiefs play-by-play voice Mitch Holthus who was K-State's radio voice for 13 years. "When they played they were both competitors to the nth degree."

Two decades after playing for Kruger at K-State, Henson will play a key role in trying to help revive OU's men's basketball program. "I broadcast some Big 12 games last season and saw Oklahoma,” Holthus said. “There is some upside to those perimeter players. Steve Henson survived in the NBA by being very smart, technically sound. He brings all of that to being an assistant coach. All players have to do is put in some old school tape and watch him play. His game would fit in 2011 as much as when he played. That gets the attention of players, particularly on the perimeter."

After playing 10 years professionally, Henson has spent most of his coaching career with Kruger — six years at UNLV, one with the Atlanta Hawks and one at Illinois. "He's a lot like coach Kruger," said Mark Dobbins, Henson's teammate and roommate at K-State in the late 1980s. "Steve is a loyal, hard working guy. I've seen a lot of good players but I've never seen one with the work ethic or competitiveness Steve Henson had."

Henson, 41, is from a coaching family. His father, Mike, coached McPherson (Kan.) freshmen for years. He became head coach during Steve's sophomore year. Mike coached another two decades, including a couple of years in Germany before finishing his career at Topeka.

Steve Henson's goal is to someday be a head coach. Kruger said Henson is ready. Henson believes he's in a win-win situation. "I'd love to do it if the right job came along and the time was right," Henson said. "On the other hand the environment coach creates is unlike anywhere in the country. People genuinely like coming to work, the staff, players, managers, everyone. We work hard but we enjoy it.”

Two of the most highly decorated players in school history, Kruger and Henson were named to K-State's all century team. Kruger was two-time Big Eight Player of the Year. He could have played professional baseball, maybe made an NBA roster if not for his passion to coach. Henson, who twice finished third in the Big Eight decathlon, played in the NBA and overseas. He broke 21 school records and was the first KSU player to play in four NCAA Tournaments.

"The last year he basically put the team on his back," Holthus said. "He could high jump 7-feet. He was a better athlete than given credit but was the ultimate competitor. That's how he survived all those years in the NBA."

The Milwaukee Bucks selected Henson in the second round of the 1990 Draft, the 44th overall pick. In 238 NBA games, Henson started only three. He averaged 3.1 points and 2.0 assists. Playing professionally was a dream come true for a boy from a small Kansas town. But it was a decade of uncertainty. Henson played for five NBA teams. He sometimes had to toil in the CBA to make it back. He also played three years in Italy and Greece.

“Most years I'd go to training camp not knowing if I'd make the team, not being able to move my wife until after training camp," Henson said. "In many cases the guarantee date was usually in the middle of January. That part was hard. But I got to play with so many great players, some Hall of Famers. And I got to play under some great coaches." Teammates included Jack Sikma, Moses Malone, Clyde Drexler, Dominique Wilkins, Joe Dumars, Alonzo Mourning and Larry Johnson.

Henson played under Doug Collins, Don Nelson and Del Harris and attended Pat Riley's and Lenny Wilkins' training camps.

Nelson taught him to not fear playing a small lineup because of mismatches.

Harris was famous for thick playbooks. He ran seven different pick-and-roll defenses.

Riley ran a grueling camp to get players in excellent shape.

Wilkins limited restrictions, wanting his players to play loose.

"I tried to listen to each one and learn something from each coach," Henson said. "I was a free agent in unbelievable shape for Pat Riley's camp. It was still the hardest four days I've ever been through. It was three hours nonstop. That made a real impression on me."

So did Kruger. Henson thought so much of his college coach he rented a townhouse in Gainesville when Kruger was at Florida and bought a house in Champaign when Kruger was at Illinois. "I wanted to be somewhere where I could train, have access to facilities and play competitive pick-up games, training with players like Frank Williams and Brian Cook, guys who went on to play in the NBA," Henson said. "It was a great way to stay in shape and stay associated with his program. But it also was great to be around the office in the summer and work some camps. I wasn't directly affiliated with the program but felt part of it. I wanted that, knowing I'd eventually get into coaching."

While several coaches have influenced his career, none have had as big an impact as Kruger. "I've learned so much from him, starting with my playing days," Henson said. "He was so successful as a player, I wanted to grasp everything I could. When I started coaching with him the same things were true. I still learn from him every day and emulate a lot of what he does."

A decade after Henson helped lead Kruger's four K-State teams to the NCAA Tournament, Kruger hired his former point guard his final season at Illinois. “He's still really competitive," Kruger said. "Our players sense that in practice. He's very genuine without any ego. He has a good connection with players. He's about helping them get better not just on the court but the bigger picture. He demands a lot but gets a lot from them."

Sounds a lot like Lon Kruger.

Read more: http://newsok.com/ou-hoops-assistan...ugers-footsteps/article/3565938#ixzz1LoU9Cthc

http://www.newsok.com/article/3565938

:OUbball-logo:

Thanks for sharing!

I still have to laugh at one of our "cool"er posters who once posted that Capel was infinitely more qualified to coach PG's than Kruger or Henson.:facepalm

Thanks for sharing!

I still have to laugh at one of our "cool"er posters who once posted that Capel was infinitely more qualified to coach PG's than Kruger or Henson.:facepalm

All the years he was at OU point guard was probably our weakest position.

Back