One possession that is all too typical

Just saw this stat tweeted: we have been outscored 69-46 in the last five minutes of regulation in our conference games, so an average of 4.6 per game. For people who think we are close to being 4-1 or 3-2, I’d say we are actually fortunate not to be 0-5, since we were a disaster late even in the Tech and West Virginia games. In a league where pretty much every game is close, and where you know we won’t blow anyone out, that’s beyond concerning. So yeah, call me a hater or whatever, but anyone who won’t acknowledge the issue has their head in the sand. And since Moser said in October that his main focus coming into the season was figuring out how to play better down the stretch, the fact we are as bad, if not worse than last year, is a big issue. He has to adjust his approach or else it’s the definition of insanity.

Also I went back and looked at game logs and saw that we led in the last five minutes of every loss this season except against Arky.

i never named names....but since you mentioned it....

Without a doubt, if we ran a play 5 seconds into the shot clock while being up 5+ points with 3-5 minutes left and it didn't have a positive result, you would be here complaining about not being smart and running time off the clock. I have absolutely zero doubt about it

Ok. Tell Dione Warwick and the rest of the psychic friends hi for me.

i never named names....but since you mentioned it....

Without a doubt, if we ran a play 5 seconds into the shot clock while being up 5+ points with 3-5 minutes left and it didn't have a positive result, you would be here complaining about not being smart and running time off the clock. I have absolutely zero doubt about it

We had two possessions I was fine with late in Lawrence. We put the ball in Grant’s hands on the right side and he drove and got a layup he usually makes. I’ll take that any time. I also didn’t mind the play where we got it to Hill on the block. He was a little slow to make his move, but I didn’t mind trying that because he had scored some tough buckets in the second half. If the coach puts players in good positions and they simply miss a shot, you live with it.

We are up 66-61. Grant missed two shots but we get two boards. After the second one, Moser immediately signaled for them to pull it back out. The possession ended in a shot clock violation. Listen to just about any coach or broadcaster and they all note that one of the best times to get a clean look is when you get an offensive rebound off a missed perimeter shot. The defense is scrambling and it’s hard for them to find their man and match up. But late in games, Moser chooses the ultra conservative approach basically every time.

Go back and watch the KU game. The single biggest basket was when we were up 8 with a little over 4 to play. Gradey missed a layup, KU got a rebound. Amazingly, Gradey they missed a three. KU got another rebound. Once they got the second rebound, they moved the ball quickly, we didn’t match up, and Wilson drained a three.

I’m happy we won today. Needed it badly. But those little things are why we lose far more close games than we win. If West Virginia had made their free throws, there is a strong likelihood that this would have been another blown lead in the last few minutes.

I went back and watched that play. In most cases, I'd agree with you, but in this case you're wrong. At the time Grant gets the second offensive rebound, Jacob and Uzan are already back on defense, and Tanner is at half court. Inside the 3 point line it's Grant and Jalen and ALL 5 WVU players. The defense wasn't scrambling. Grant could have taken a long 2, but it would have been a poor shot from a shot selection standpoint and one they can get at anytime.

I went back and watched that play. In most cases, I'd agree with you, but in this case you're wrong. At the time Grant gets the second offensive rebound, Jacob and Uzan are already back on defense, and Tanner is at half court. Inside the 3 point line it's Grant and Jalen and ALL 5 WVU players. The defense wasn't scrambling. Grant could have taken a long 2, but it would have been a poor shot from a shot selection standpoint and one they can get at anytime.

Good points, and good post. Definitely looks like I was wrong about that specific possession.

Back