Oregon St/OSU Players

tmeyer3307

Reaction score
Watching that game and those bigs got me thinking. We need a big like Warith Alatishe. 6'7 transfer from Nichols st I believe. Averaged 9.5ppg, 9reb a game. Very good athlete/defender. That dude would be a perfect fit for OU. How does a guy like that choose Oregon st?
or
Is victor suppose to be that guy for us right now?

Boone for OSU.. why did we not push him hard? I look at him vs Victor/Kur and see a better player with even more potential. Feel like he's about to explode and be a really good big 12 player.

Just trying to pay attention to teams bigs in the tourney and how good or not good they are.

I'm not saying this to pile on, but I'm starting to think our staff just isn't very good at developing big men. I look around the country and I see teams with big guys that are athletic or athletic enough, tough, and make the shots they should. Kelvin's bigs aren't great offensive players, but they are good for that system. Same with others. Our bigs look the part, but they just don't produce. I've been wanting to blame recruiting, and that is probably some of it, but a lot of these guys that are excelling in the Tournament aren't highly recruited guys. They are just smart, skilled, and athletic enough that their intelligence allows them to play successful basketball.

There is a big difference between athletes and basketball players. We've skewed toward the former in our interior recruiting, and I'm tired of it.

Yeah, I don't mind having a tall skinny athlete or a guy like victor that is pure athlete/no skill, but we need to pair them up with a dude that can defend low post and score low post better. I would love for them to go get a 6'7, 6'8 strong dude that is somewhat skilled first.. then try for the 6'10 athlete which we may not even need. Hopefully Big Ric can provide something.

McNeace and Kuath both are much better than when they arrived. Lattin was a huge disappointment. Hanna just wasn’t quick enough. We need to start with better players.

I'm not saying this to pile on, but I'm starting to think our staff just isn't very good at developing big men. I look around the country and I see teams with big guys that are athletic or athletic enough, tough, and make the shots they should. Kelvin's bigs aren't great offensive players, but they are good for that system. Same with others. Our bigs look the part, but they just don't produce. I've been wanting to blame recruiting, and that is probably some of it, but a lot of these guys that are excelling in the Tournament aren't highly recruited guys. They are just smart, skilled, and athletic enough that their intelligence allows them to play successful basketball.

It's not piling on it's an absolute fact. I do think Kur has improved, and his improvement had me excited a couple of months ago. But the last two months he can barely get on the court. He just can't seem to fit in to what they want defensively I guess.

I don't understand why OU's coaches can't teach the bigs the simplest of any sort of drop step move, jump hook, or simple turnaround jumper. All OU's bigs do are take elbow jumpers or pretty rarely putbacks on offensive rebounds. I see smaller bigs on smaller teams that have an inside repertoire that put OU's to shame. I mean, OU's don't try...anything. It may amaze you what it would open up if OU had a coach that could teach our bigs at least the simplest of post moves. But we don't even try? Inexpicable.

I’m not sure if it’s development or recruiting the wrong type of players. It’s definitely something tho. Kuath looks the part and shows flashes, then gets lost and disappears. That’s a theme for most of our post players under Kruger. None have become real consistent players. None are strong physical players. They’re all lean projects that have very low basketball IQ. Our post projects have failed for a decade.

We need more ace McGhee’s and fewer kuaths and iwuakors.

McNeace and Kuath both are much better than when they arrived. Lattin was a huge disappointment. Hanna just wasn’t quick enough. We need to start with better players.

I was the biggest McNeace fan, and then he inexplicably just quit so I'm not sure he's a good example. Maybe that has something to do with coaching or maybe it was just him.

I have openly questioned our staff’s big men development for three years or more. Muni appeared to be a star in the making well into his sophomore season. I was one of those who got excited when he developed that baby hook. When he hit a mental injury wall no one seemed to understand, the excitement was over.

The jury is still out on Vic for me. His athleticism and potential are obvious. The desire and the work ethic are there. But he’s still so raw in some ways, I can’t help but wonder if he has the time to be a productive starter someday?

The consensus seems to be we need to start with better players. I realize that’s a tall order for a football school. But if other schools can do it, why can’t OU? I’m tired of the projects! The list is so long I get depressed just typing the names.

I have openly questioned our staff’s big men development for three years or more. Muni appeared to be a star in the making well into his sophomore season. I was one of those who got excited when he developed that baby hook. When he hit a mental injury wall no one seemed to understand, the excitement was over.

The jury is still out on Vic for me. His athleticism and potential are obvious. The desire and the work ethic are there. But he’s still so raw in some ways, I can’t help but wonder if he has the time to be a productive starter someday?

The consensus seems to be we need to start with better players. I realize that’s a tall order for a football school. But if other schools can do it, why can’t OU? I’m tired of the projects! The list is so long I get depressed just typing the names.

Ada, no it's not. You've allowed yourself to be beaten down by those on this board who shame anybody with higher than slightly above average expectations. The list of schools that have worse basketball tradition and resources than OU but have vastly better big man talent and production would make your head spin. Why at OU do we have to accept such low expectations? OU has recruited MUCH better, more talented posts in the past, and of course it can happen again. The question is can Kruger's staff? That I do not know. But judging from the past few years, the answer is apparently not. Would I be like a kid on Christmas morning if Kruger and staff could recruit and develop one? Or dare to say, two? Well yes, yes I would!

I have wanted some of the big that KSU always seems to have 3 or 4 of. 6'7"-6'9", broad shoulders, and strong. Provide us with some rebounds, toughness, and set some good screens.

I have wanted some of the big that KSU always seems to have 3 or 4 of. 6'7"-6'9", broad shoulders, and strong. Provide us with some rebounds, toughness, and set some good screens.

be wonderful to find a Najera/Spangler/Osby/Doolittle type.. those are the realistic types of players Oklahoma can find and get on campus. Maybe not the biggest, strongest, athletic, or skilled but kids who have the grit or more want too...

Back