OSU beats UCO 89-80

I can't even throw stone at OSU right now. That's how bad it tis.

Someone I know who attended the game said "OSU doesn't have anything this year."

Only time will tell if that statement proves to be true.

Matt Pilgrim's stat line is pretty impressive...

14 points, 13 boards, 7 offensive but 5 fouls and 2 turnovers in 18 minutes. If he can learn to play under control they might've found an inside presence to compliment Moses.

having watched UCO play against Baylor on Thursday, I will say that UCO is a good, solid team. They reminded me a lot of Portland State last year that knocked off Gonzaga. They don't have a good inside game but they do have three guards that can get shots off whenever they want to and are accurate shooters. And their press like Mizzou can make you play sloppy.

having watched UCO play against Baylor on Thursday, I will say that UCO is a good, solid team. They reminded me a lot of Portland State last year that knocked off Gonzaga. They don't have a good inside game but they do have three guards that can get shots off whenever they want to and are accurate shooters. And their press like Mizzou can make you play sloppy.

Congrats to your Bears on defeating UCO worse than OSU did. This will be reflected in my preseason Big 12 Power Rankings.

Well, I was wrong about OSU beating UCO 90-70. I thought OSU would have played better than that. I thought they might give up 70 just by the pace of the game, but giving up 80 at home is not very good against UCO.

Looks like the OSU freshmen were not nearly as impressive as the OU freshmen were. The same can be said for the Baylor freshmen in their game against UCO.

Last edited:
Thoughts on the game:

UCO never threatened. OSU had then down for the most part 13-17 most of the game. And could never get "over the hump" so to speak, kept them at arms length.

Team played very lazy, and with very little structure.

A LOT of turnovers. A LOT of missed free throws. Muonelo looks better, Page looks better, Pilgrim is a man. He's going to be good for as long as he can stay on the court. He's so physical he's going to foul a lot this year.

Penn looked tentative, and Gulley tried to do WAY too much. He can really defend though.

UCO shoots a TON of three's. It's nuts.

If OSU cuts the down the turnovers, and hits free throws they win this game 111-70. UCO had way too many easy baskets because of poor ball handling against the press (most of that being Gulley)

EDIT-I meant 110...

Last edited:
Looks like outside of UT and OU the South will be weak once again.

It will be interesting to see who wins the North/South battle this year. The North won it last year, but I am not ready to concede anything this year.

So Hohum would you consider OSU to be similar to last year as they struggled early on (maybe not as deep into the season though) and then peaked late?

So Hohum would you consider OSU to be similar to last year as they struggled early on (maybe not as deep into the season though) and then peaked late?

I don't think they'll be as good last year as they were at the end of the season last year at any point. Keep in mind, I think OSU might have been a top 15 or so team during the tournament. But I'm biased.

Once the PG position solidifies itself (Penn made good passes, and handled pressure pretty darn well, and looked pretty solid), I think things will come together.

I do think Penn was trying too hard to be a traditional point guard. He's not. He needs to look for his shot more. Of course that will come in time. Only one game, blah blah blah.

Of course if it never does, it could be a hairy season. :ford

9 turnovers by Gulley, though. I felt bad for the guy. He's a heck of a defender though. Or was for this game.

Last edited:
Someone I know who attended the game said "OSU doesn't have anything this year."

Only time will tell if that statement proves to be true.

Don't know about that but i do know they still have Anderson, Obi and Paige who can hit a lot 3s in a hurry and Moses is a load down low.

3 minutes by Shaw and Walker.

Good decision Cobbins

Thoughts on the game:

UCO never threatened. OSU had then down for the most part 13-17 most of the game. And could never get "over the hump" so to speak, kept them at arms length.

Team played very lazy, and with very little structure.

A LOT of turnovers. A LOT of missed free throws. Muonelo looks better, Page looks better, Pilgrim is a man. He's going to be good for as long as he can stay on the court. He's so physical he's going to foul a lot this year.

Penn looked tentative, and Gulley tried to do WAY too much. He can really defend though.

UCO shoots a TON of three's. It's nuts.

If OSU cuts the down the turnovers, and hits free throws they win this game 111-70. UCO had way too many easy baskets because of poor ball handling against the press (most of that being Gulley)

EDIT-I meant 110...

I'd hope so. They played their starters most of the way. Wow, you're giving 30minutes to starters in an exhibition game and only beat UCO by 9?

Points in the paint-UCO 36,OSU 34. Points off turnovers-UCO 31,OSU 20.

So wow...

I tend to think that exhibition games can be totally overanalyzed and that poor performances by the favored teams are often just good ways to get their attention, so overall I'd resist an urge to be too critical.

But those are both a little disturbing if I'm an OSU fan. I mean, that isn't a D1 opponent. And HoHum even said that UCO took a ridiculous amount of threes...yet they still outscored OSU in the paint.

Ford should at least have their attention, right?

So wow...

I tend to think that exhibition games can be totally overanalyzed and that poor performances by the favored teams are often just good ways to get their attention, so overall I'd resist an urge to be too critical.

But those are both a little disturbing if I'm an OSU fan. I mean, that isn't a D1 opponent. And HoHum even said that UCO took a ridiculous amount of threes...yet they still outscored OSU in the paint.

Ford should at least have their attention, right?

UCO had quite a few layups off of turnovers. Plus, OSU is still a perimeter oriented team. They are going to get outscored in the paint quite a bit this year. I guess I don't see how that is a very telling stat? I looked at OU's game, and they outscored their opponent by 6 in the paint...

OSU out rebounded them by 22, which I think is a more apropos stat as far as post players...which I think you might be alluding too?

Of course UCO plays 5 guards, so they had better out rebound them by a lot.

Ford's hyperbolic as hell, but I heard on the post game show that he said, how disappointed he was in the effort. And it was one of the only times in his career that he felt the other team played harder.

Looks like outside of UT and OU the South will be weak once again.

You have determined that from a meaningless preseason game? In November of '02, I was at MSG watching OU play against 'Bama to open the season. In the game which preceeded that, Syracuse struggled all game long against a solid but unspectacular Memphis team. I kept seeing all those SU fans shaking their heads in disbelief as Memphis controlled the game from the outset. I forgot; who won the title that year?

I can't stand OSU, but I know they pushed a #1 seed last year in the 2nd round of the Dance, yet played the entire season with basically nothing but guards. Now that Moses has improved, and if they get something from Pilgrim, this will actually be a pretty good team. They have one of the best pure shooters in America with James Anderson, and I would be shocked if they're not Dancing in March.

Back